Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My Bloody Valentine remake, in 3-D

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

My Bloody Valentine remake, in 3-D

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: My Bloody Valentine remake, in 3-D

I hate this 3D crap.
But only cause we don't get them in my country.
Old 01-15-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my ticket online, my wife is out of town which is a great excuse to check this out - since she would go over her dead body.

Don't expect much, last horror movie I saw in 3D was that Nightmare on Elm Street movie and that was terrible. I'm never even seen the original, was it any good?

My place charged 2 bucks more too like all places it seems.
Old 01-15-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Just got my ticket online, my wife is out of town which is a great excuse to check this out - since she would go over her dead body.

Don't expect much, last horror movie I saw in 3D was that Nightmare on Elm Street movie and that was terrible. I'm never even seen the original, was it any good?

A Nightmare on Elm Street was fantastic, the sequels.. well some were okay, mostly not so hot.
Old 01-15-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3-D is supposed to be fantastic in this. It's the first time this particular 3-D process has been used for a horror movie.
Old 01-15-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 308 Posts

Dumb question, but I was looking at movie times via Yahoo Movies and noticed something odd.

There are listings for My Bloody Valentine 3-D and just My Bloody Valentine.

A local theater near me has the listing times as (3-D), while all the theaters near my girlfriend's place have the latter. Is there a non-3-D print of this being given to theaters?
Old 01-15-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Dumb question, but I was looking at movie times via Yahoo Movies and noticed something odd.

There are listings for My Bloody Valentine 3-D and just My Bloody Valentine.

A local theater near me has the listing times as (3-D), while all the theaters near my girlfriend's place have the latter. Is there a non-3-D print of this being given to theaters?
Yes. They're simultaneously releasing a 3-D and 2-D version of the film.
Old 01-15-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Yes. They're simultaneously releasing a 3-D and 2-D version of the film.
Thanks for the info!

Last edited by asianxcore; 01-15-09 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
A Nightmare on Elm Street was fantastic, the sequels.. well some were okay, mostly not so hot.
Dream Warriors is fantastic, a ton of fun. New Nightmare is a great satire on the direction the Freddy character was taken after the original.
Old 01-15-09, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Dream Warriors is fantastic, a ton of fun. New Nightmare is a great satire on the direction the Freddy character was taken after the original.
I loved the first 3 which includes DREAM warriors.

I honestly would rank them and I know I'm going to get bashed for saying this:

Part 3
Part 2
Part 1

(yes, prob opposite of everybody) I just found 3 the best of the bunch and liked the way part 2 was put together too..

Off to run a few errands then hit the 10PM showing, I'm curious if it's going to crowded or not.
Old 01-15-09, 07:59 PM

Expanding on this question, is there a list of the theaters that are getting the 3D version? I don't imagine it'll play here in a million years, but a new place opened in town recently (now we have two theaters; man, you city-dwellers are spoiled. ) and I was hoping for a miracle...
Old 01-15-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Expanding on this question, is there a list of the theaters that are getting the 3D version? I don't imagine it'll play here in a million years, but a new place opened in town recently (now we have two theaters; man, you city-dwellers are spoiled. ) and I was hoping for a miracle...
Not that it helps but searching for movie times on Yahoo Movies will let you know if any theaters in your area are screening it in 3-D. You never know, the town I'm going to see it in is around 7,000 people and they are the only ones in the area showing it in 3-D.

On that same note, this theater I am going to tonight will be showing it at 10pm tonight (Thursday!)

Just bought tickets for a friend and I to check it out. Don't even have to wait until midnight!
Old 01-15-09, 10:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,204 Likes on 853 Posts

My fiance just saw this tonight and she said it was great and it was a movie that I'd really enjoy...

*sigh* she doesn't know me anymore...
Old 01-15-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just found 3 the best of the bunch and liked the way part 2 was put together too.
Freddy's Revenge is IMO quite unmemorable with regards to the effective atmosphere of the original and the fact that Dream Warriors is such an utter blast. I think the aspect with the gym teacher, however, is quite fascinating.
Old 01-15-09, 11:27 PM

Just got back from the 3D version, saw the 10pm. I wish I had seen the original, but I haven't so I can't speak to how true or good/bad it is compared to that one.

I enjoyed it, but I like a lot of bad horror movies. I wouldn't have been happy seeing it in 2D, that's for sure. To me the only selling point was the 3D, otherwise it felt like a bad cable movie they show at 3AM. Also, I felt like I was wanting it to get over already - but that might be a result of it ending after midnight by the time they jam 10 previews in front of it (non 3D, but did get the F13th and the Last House on the Left etc.)

There were some really good kills, but most seem to remind of kills from Friday the 13th and don't remember thinking any of them were overly original or memorable in this flick.

I must admit, that 3D has come a long way since I remember seeing it in Jaws 3D (I think that's the first 3D movie I remember seeing in person as a kid). The effects were awesome, and it really did add to the movie, which needed it imho.

Hopefully I'm not talking people out of seeing it, I think it's really worth it to see in 3D, personally if I couldn't see it that way I would wait for dvd - but that's me.

As it was I enjoyed it, and the crowd (very full) added to it, with lots of laughs etc. Def seemed like it was a made for 3D movie.
Old 01-16-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is going to make some good money. I'll have to wait about a week to see it. The closest theater playing it in 3-D is an hour away, plus shitty weather here.
Old 01-16-09, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with some of SpaceBoy's points. This movie definitely thrives in 3-D and there should not be a reason to see this movie outside of that (IMO).

The crowd at the 10pm was great. Everyone was having a great time. Lots of people (including myself and my friends) were laughing, cheering, cracking jokes. It made a fun environment for an already fun movie.

Having seen the original it was nice to see..

Spoiler:
That the remake didn't stick too close to the original. Sure it was filled to the brim with red herrings, but I liked that fans of the original have something more to look forward to.

This is the most fun I've had watching a movie in the theater in a while. Already made plans to see it again early next week with another one of my friends
Old 01-16-09, 02:30 AM

I'll probably see it on Sunday. After the Eagles/Cardinals game, of course.
Old 01-16-09, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to be the first one to say it, but this film sucked major donkey dick.

Never have seen the original, but this remake was the antithesis of fun.

Yes, there were a few good kills (midget death for the win), but that doesn't make a movie watchable or likable. I didn't come to watch a shitty movie with a lot of crappy acting and dialogue in 3D. I came to watch a movie filled to the fucking brim with carnage and I only got about 10 minutes of that within a movie that runs almost 90. Disa-fucking-ppointing.
Old 01-16-09, 05:56 AM
Banned

Seen it tonight and I really liked it. No it was not the original but I don't think it was trying to be. It was a very fun movie with great 3-D effects. Those blue and red glasses used to always bother my eyes but I forgot I was wearing these most of the time. Was I the only one that thought the guy that played Tom was the twin brother of "Cody" from Step by Step?
Old 01-16-09, 06:21 AM

Not that it helps but searching for movie times on Yahoo Movies will let you know if any theaters in your area are screening it in 3-D. You never know, the town I'm going to see it in is around 7,000 people and they are the only ones in the area showing it in 3-D.
Yahoo isn't listing anything in this area or across the lake in Vermont.

This is why I hope these 3D films never catch on; when it's important to the enjoyment of the movie (as is apparently the case here) or being used as an integral part of the movie-making process (with Avatar) but only a portion of your audience gets to see it, that really stinks. It isn't like with a small release that could go wider so everyone gets an opportunity, with 3D someone either lives in the right part of the country or they don't.
Old 01-16-09, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus

Do a zip code search on this site.

http://www.reald.com/index.php/page/index.php/page/12
Old 01-16-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the first 3 which includes DREAM warriors.

I honestly would rank them and I know I'm going to get bashed for saying this:

Part 3
Part 2
Part 1

(yes, prob opposite of everybody) I just found 3 the best of the bunch and liked the way part 2 was put together too...
Those are my thoughts exactly. I loved the characters and location in three and the deaths were pretty imaginative.

Anyway, I just blind-watched the original on the new SE and enjoyed it. Still not sure if I'm gonna give this remake a shot.
Old 01-16-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good:
- It was in fuckin' 3D!
- Blonde chick who spends her entire screen appearance buck naked
- Tom Atkins is in it
- I'm pretty sure there is 3D cameltoe in the movie
- EVEN THE END CREDITS ARE IN 3D!
- A midget gets killed
- Jaime King is occasionally charismatic, unlike everyone else in the movie

Bad:
- The movie sucks.
- The acting is awful (except for the aforementioned Jamie King)
- Occasionally I wanted to quote The Onion: "Character in 3D Movie Uses Cane to Point at Things"
Spoiler:
- The movie totally cheats at the end. There's no fun in a twist if the movie doesn't play by the rules and outright lies to the audience.

In short: don't see this movie in 2D. Ever.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 01-16-09 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Due to space constraints on their marquee, my local theatre is advertising this week's new releases as "My Bloody Blart 3-D".
Old 01-16-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Good:
- It was in fuckin' 3D!
- Blonde chick who spends her entire screen appearance buck naked
- Tom Atkins is in it
- I'm pretty sure there is 3D cameltoe in the movie
- EVEN THE END CREDITS ARE IN 3D!
- A midget gets killed
- Jaime King is occasionally charismatic, unlike everyone else in the movie

Bad:
- The movie sucks.
- The acting is awful (except for the aforementioned Jamie King)
- Occasionally I wanted to quote The Onion: "Character in 3D Movie Uses Cane to Point at Things"
Spoiler:
- The movie totally cheats at the end. There's no fun in a twist if the movie doesn't play by the rules and outright lies to the audience.

In short: don't see this movie in 2D. Ever.
I think I completely agree with this list except on Jaime King.
Spoiler:
When Jack from Dawson's Creek is watching the sex tape and Jaime comes in and asks him what he watches and he responds with an evidence tape and her immediate response is sorry, all of us in the theater started dying with laughter.

Sadly, that also wasn't the only time we were dying with laughter, because those moments happen more than the death and carnage. This film just makes me wait for Final Destination 4 with even more anticipation.

And one more thing ...
Spoiler:
Regarding the end, I saw that coming from miles away. We never see his character much through the movie (despite being the character the fucking story is based around) and I knew it was him from the moment midget and naked lady were killed. That's not an ending that cheats (it's a pretty painted-by-numbers twist ending), it's an ending that just doesn't give a shit; just like the rest of the film.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 01-16-09 at 01:16 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.