Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009)

Originally Posted by rabbit77
Spoiler:
The idea that the rescue team is the motive for Sam to get out of dodge or else they'd be killed undermines the first two thirds of the film' atmosphere of Sam having to deal with his problems only by himselves.
Spoiler:
That's not the motive for going back to Earth. The motivation is to get back to Earth rather than die there alone in three years, and in the process blow the whistle on what the company is doing. Knowing that the rescue team would kill them was simply motive to get their asses in gear and cover their tracks.
Old 01-19-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I said blurry, I meant that the continents are not so easily discernable, and nowhere near as crisply distinguished as they are in the film. It's pretty obvious from a comparison of the pics that the film has tripled the size of the Earth as seen from the Moon at least, obviously for artistic effect. That's fine, but it's one of those things that takes a nerd like me completely out of the film for a few moments (I even commented on it to my girlfriend while watching the movie).
Old 01-19-10, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
When I said blurry, I meant that the continents are not so easily discernable, and nowhere near as crisply distinguished as they are in the film. It's pretty obvious from a comparison of the pics that the film has tripled the size of the Earth as seen from the Moon at least, obviously for artistic effect. That's fine, but it's one of those things that takes a nerd like me completely out of the film for a few moments (I even commented on it to my girlfriend while watching the movie).
Again, relative size also relies on the lens and perspective, like shooting a setting sun with a telephoto lens in order to exaggerate its size in comparison to foreground objects. This sort of thing is done in cinematography. I don't know why you're getting hung up on it here.
Old 01-19-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I don't know why you guys just can't accept the fact that the view of the Earth from the Moon is exaggerated in this film. It's no big deal, it just stood out to me.
Old 01-20-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

since its initial screening was at sundance 2009, the movie was in theaters in july, and the BD has been available region free since november, is it necessary to use spoiler tags? just a question - clicking the spoilers for each post is a bit annoying. great discussion, btw.
Old 01-20-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I think it's more important now than ever to use spoiler tags. People click on threads to get opinions of a movie (should I rent it, watch it, etc; ) and now it's actually available for people to see.
Old 01-20-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

When I said blurry, I meant that the continents are not so easily discernable, and nowhere near as crisply distinguished as they are in the film.
In all the pics I posted, the continents are easily discernable, at least when they're not covered by clouds:

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Here's some shots of Earth from the moon.

First, a B&W image from Lunar Orbiter 1, where the Earth looks massive:
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/moonmars/...OIRP_moon.html

Then, an image from Apollo 8 in orbit:
http://pvastro0527.blogspot.com/2006...ems-to-be.html

Next, a larger version of the image riotinmyskull posted, where the earth looks clearer:
http://www.geography4kids.com/extras...h_1024x768.jpg

Finally, this page has a clear shot of earth from 1994:
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/photo_gal...earthmoon.html
All of the color images show clear edges of continents, and the last shot from Clementine clearly shows all of Africa.

It's pretty obvious from a comparison of the pics that the film has tripled the size of the Earth as seen from the Moon at least, obviously for artistic effect.
It's really hard to compare pics, especially since the real ones I've found have no objects in it that give a clear sense of scale (e.g. whether a particular crater is 3m across, or 3km across).

Also, others have pointed out the effect different lenses and perspectives would have.

However, if the Earth is 4 times the size of the Moon, shouldn't the Earth from the Moon look 4 times larger to the naked eye than the Moon appears from the Earth?
Old 01-20-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by kms_md
since its initial screening was at sundance 2009, the movie was in theaters in july, and the BD has been available region free since november, is it necessary to use spoiler tags? just a question - clicking the spoilers for each post is a bit annoying. great discussion, btw.
There's no hard metric for measuring when it's okay to stop using spoiler tags. However, I'd never use a Sundance screening or an import BD as points of reference.

For a limited release film, I'd say probably 4-6 months after its US domestic video release it'd be okay to post spoilers without tags, to give ample time for people to watch it.
Old 01-30-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched this tonight on BD by myself out in my dark living room on my 68" TV and it may have very well been my most enjoyable home viewing experience I've ever had. The set designs, miniatures, sound mixing, every little piece of this was absolutely stunning. If it wasn't already 2am I probably would have just played it again. I really wish I had the chance to catch this in theaters, as much as I enjoyed it at home I feel it really would have felt even more special on the big screen.

I completely agree that anyone that hasn't seen Moon and knows little about it should go in as cold as possible, so I'll keep my thoughts spoiled as well:
Spoiler:
Rockwell was simply amazing. Only Jeremy Renner's performance falls into the same league for me in regards to Oscar contention, but what Rockwell managed to do by himself was epic. If it were possible, Rockwell should get a damn Best Actor nomination for Sam 1 and a Best Supporting Actor nod for Sam 2 .

Loved that you were right there with the plot. It felt like a clone as soon as Sam 2 woke up, but there was always something hanging over ominously that felt like there might have been another possibility. There was a nice red-herring that at times it seemed like Sam 2 was completely ignoring Sam 1 and Sam 1 asking Gerty if there was someone else in the room, without a definitive answer. Left juuuust enough wiggle room for me to not be certain it was a clone.

I do enjoy the thread conversation about the cost of clones vs. space travel. Just seems like you would have to accept on faith that this was the most cost effective way to mine in the future .

I got the vibe from the conversation Sam 1 had with Eve that from Original Sam's tone of voice he might have known something was up with those questions.
Can't recommend this highly enough to anyone on the fence that's looking for a really terrific, well made and thought provoking movie.
Old 01-30-10, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I finally saw this and somehow they managed to make a
Spoiler:
yet another clone film
into something pretty cool and somehow original. I liked the sets, the way it was shot, and even the Film stock had a "shot in the 70's" feel to it.

I wasn't blown away like some others her, but I really felt like this Sci Fi flick was several cuts above some of the other stuff we've been getting lately.
Old 07-27-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Okay, I recently watched this and I have a question:

Spoiler:
Where are we the audience in the timeline? I assume we are not seeing the original Sam, correct? When Sam clone, gets into contact with his daughter who is 15 years old, she calls for her dad. We never see him but I assume it would have been the original Sam?
Finally watched this tonight, and here's my question:
Spoiler:
Does Sam 3 turn off the recorded phone call from Sam 2 to Eve before she addresses the original Sam off-screen? We don't hear him play the entire phone call. Perhaps the emotion of the moment was too much for him, and he switched it off? Does that mean that Sam 3 isn't expecting the original Sam to be there when he returns? That could be a bit awkward.
Old 12-02-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,470 Likes on 935 Posts

I've never heard of this movie before today. Someone gave me their Netflix disk and said I'd like it. We thought it was great.

I didn't notice that the Earth looked large in the shots. I did notice that after telling us that the base is on the far side of the moon, a short drive could reach a point where the Earth is 15 degrees above the horizon.
Old 06-19-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I just saw this the other night. I noticed that the four surface miners were named after New Testament authors, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. I thought it would have been a nice touch if they were named Roger, David, Nick and Richard.

I do agree with others here that while it was a spectacular movie it had some serious illogic, not the least of which was the main discovery.

I do have a scientific question. The concept behind Helium3 as energy is that the lunar surface has been absorbing Helium from our sun for billions of years. So why were they farming the DARK side of the moon, which got no sunlight? They should be farming the side that faced us.

Oh, and did anyone notice the huge design flaw in the harvesters? They spewed rocks out the back, right in the face of the lunar rovers Sam drove. So as he was trying to dock with that thing he had a shower of rocks in his face. That made no sense at all.

Last edited by Traxan; 06-19-11 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-19-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

What a coincidence that I just read through this thread earlier today after watching the movie this morning and it just happens to get bumped today after 7 months of dormancy.
Fantastic movie by the way.
Old 06-20-11, 04:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Traxan
I do have a scientific question. The concept behind Helium3 as energy is that the lunar surface has been absorbing Helium from our sun for billions of years. So why were they farming the DARK side of the moon, which got no sunlight? They should be farming the side that faced us.
The far side (the side we can't see from Earth) of the moon gets tons of sunlight. There is a reason the moon has phases.
Old 06-20-11, 08:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
The far side (the side we can't see from Earth) of the moon gets tons of sunlight. There is a reason the moon has phases.
^ Just a mild mental lapse I'm sure, but this reminds me of some of my borderline stupidity.

I'm generally a mildly smart guy, full scholarship to college and the like, but have a huge mental block when it comes to orbital dynamics. Whenever I see the moon and the sun in the sky at the same time, I get all kinds of confused.

I'm sure I'd grasp it if I thought it out, but it's just one of those areas that I've chosen to competely ignore all of my life. Electricity and butterflies are others. It enables me to spend every day in childlike wonder.
Old 04-25-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Finally watched this, and it was fantastic.
Old 04-25-14, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still amazed by its production.
Old 04-25-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I'm more amused by his filmography:

Director (4 credits)
2016 Warcraft (filming)
2011 Source Code
2009 Moon
2002 Whistle
Old 04-25-14, 03:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

The son of Ziggy Stardust has connections, yo.
Old 04-25-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm hoping he does one of the new Star Wars movies. Loved Moon and thought Source Code was really good too.
Old 04-25-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

It's a shame he passed on Man of Steel (although I respect his reasons). I would have loved to see his approach to Superman.
Old 04-25-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm still amazed by its production.
No kidding. It looked amazing, and the budget was only $5m.
Old 04-25-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It's a shame he passed on Man of Steel (although I respect his reasons). I would have loved to see his approach to Superman.

Never knew he passed on that, that would've been great to see. I follow him on twitter and he seems like a cool dude. I've never played Warcraft at all but I'll be seeing the movie just cause of him.
Old 04-25-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Source Code is okay. Moon is a masterpiece.