Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Goodfellas (1990) Vs Pulp Fiction (1994)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Goodfellas (1990) Vs Pulp Fiction (1994) - Which one is the better movie?
Goodfellas
45.00%
Pulp Fiction
53.75%
I haven't seen one or the other/haven't seen either one
1.25%
I don't like either of them
0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Goodfellas (1990) Vs Pulp Fiction (1994)

Old 08-30-08, 08:42 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm going with Pulp Fiction, but they're two very different kinds of movies.
Old 08-30-08, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
All of the movies that have ripped off Goodfellas, like Blow, are actually better than Goodfellas.

You almost deserve to be banned for this comment. Blow? Really? Blow is a piece of pedantic, laughably sentimental cinematic shit with amateurish direction and a passable performance from a usually fantastic Johnny Depp. Probably the best thing in the film is, incidentally, once again Ray Liotta as Depp's father.. especially in his final scene when he listens to the tape message sent to him from his son in jail.
Old 08-30-08, 08:50 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RTisBetter
You almost deserve to be banned for this comment. Blow? Really? Blow is a piece of pedantic, laughably sentimental cinematic shit with amateurish direction and a passable performance from a usually fantastic Johnny Depp. Probably the best thing in the film is, incidentally, once again Ray Liotta as Depp's father.. especially in his final scene when he listens to the tape message sent to him from his son in jail.
I agree. the last third of Blow was really hard to sit through.
Old 08-30-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brack
I agree. the last third of Blow was really hard to sit through.
Isn't there onscreen text at the end saying something along the lines of "To this day, his daughter has not visited him in jail"? That really struck me as ridiculous. Are we supposed to think less of her because she wanted nothing to do with a selfish, destructive criminal who abandoned her just when she needed him most?

You almost deserve to be banned for this comment.
If anyone should be banned it's you, for your constant belittling of other forum members.

Last edited by NoirFan; 08-30-08 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-30-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought Blow was great. I agree that Liotta was great in it, much better than he was in Goodfellas. That scene you mentioned almost had me in tears.

I've seen it countless times, it's never gotten any better. I just don't like Goodfellas. This poll pretty much spans the spectrum of my tastes, Pulp Fiction is one of all-time favorite films while Goodfellas is...not.
Old 08-30-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
I could never get into Pulp Fiction.

But Goodfellas, now there is a movie I literally seen over 50 times. Heck I probably watch it right now again, I love everything about the movie, the characters, the music, great freakin movie. <-italian accent used on last words lol
Old 08-31-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pulp Fiction is great. I must've seen it seven, eight times the entire time it was in theaters. But I must say, Goodfellas is my fave of the two, far more impeccable and compelling. And eminently rewatchable. Sentimental is a good description for Blow. I liked that movie initially, but haven't seen it since I caught it in theaters.
Old 08-31-08, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I've seen it countless times, it's never gotten any better. I just don't like Goodfellas. This poll pretty much spans the spectrum of my tastes, Pulp Fiction is one of all-time favorite films while Goodfellas is...not.
I actually feel the exact opposite that you do regarding both movies. I actually created this thread because both movies seemed to be the top choice among their respective director's work. Looks like Pulp Fiction is winning though :/
Old 08-31-08, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still maintain that Raging Bull is Scorsese's finest. While I enjoyed Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction is where it's at for me.
Old 08-31-08, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is an easy one: Pulp Fiction.
Old 08-31-08, 05:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by abe55
I actually created this thread because both movies seemed to be the top choice among their respective director's work.

Most every sensible cinephile knows that Taxi Driver and Raging Bull are the two, top seminal Scorsese works. You will hear plenty of others rightfully claim that The King of Comedy should be right up there as well.

Goodfellas is probably Scorsese's fourth or fifth best film. The fact that it remains one of the very best of the 90's simply attests to the brilliance of Scorsese and his incredible filmography.

Last edited by RTisBetter; 08-31-08 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-31-08, 05:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
This is an easy one: Pulp Fiction.

It's only easy if you are unable to see the brilliance and influence inherent throughout Scorsese's superior film.

Nice screenname btw. That Hark film is one of his worst, but the shootout scene with the baby, even if it is a rip-off of the hospital scenario in Hard-Boiled, is a good one.
Old 08-31-08, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most every sensible cinephile knows that Taxi Driver and Raging Bull are the two, top seminal Scorsese works. You will hear plenty of others rightfully claim that The King of Comedy should be right up there as well.

It's only easy if you are unable to see the brilliance and influence inherent throughout Scorsese's superior film.
I think I see a cloud forming.....

also for me it's between pulp fiction and fight club. Those two it's a toss up.
Old 08-31-08, 06:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
I think I see a cloud forming....

You probably just farted.
Old 08-31-08, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is hard but I'll go Goodfellas.
Old 08-31-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Goodfellas is the far-superior film, will go down as a classic. But I was burnt out on Pulp Fiction 10 years ago, personally.

Pulp is a great screenplay, no doubt, but just measuring Scorcese and Tarantino's careers alone sheds a lot of light on the argument. I mean, come on...