DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538555-dark-knight-rises-nolan.html)

TheMovieman 01-16-11 08:25 PM

re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Originally Posted by Ravenous (Post 10593550)
What the hell did Bale go off with at the awards? I walked right in during his speech.

And if theres one thing I know, Nolan does a great job of hiring shit actresses in the Batman so I expect pt 3 to be no different

1. I thought Maggie Gyllenhaal did a good job with such a limited, and quite frankly poorly written, character and 2. I highly suspect the hiring of Katie Holmes was the studio's idea rather than Nolan's.

Solid Snake 01-16-11 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 10593581)
1. I thought Maggie Gyllenhaal did a good job with such a limited, and quite frankly poorly written, character and 2. I highly suspect the hiring of Katie Holmes was the studio's idea rather than Nolan's.

I've never wanted to say that but it's always something I suspected. It'd make sense cuz at that time he had no major clout like he does now after TDK.

I too like MG as Rachel. She played an adult character that looks like an adult No offenst to Holmes, I did like Pieces of April...and that's about it. BUT...she looked way to young and out of place in comparison to the rest of the cast.

That guy from Shawshank who could sell me a bag of shit w/ just the sound of his voice.... Check
Frank Carter. Check.
Drexl. Check
The Machinist guy. Check.
The Samurai. Check.
Darkman. Check.
Katie Holmes...wait what?

She's easily the weakest cast member in there.

TheMovieman 01-16-11 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10593632)
I've never wanted to say that but it's always something I suspected. It'd make sense cuz at that time he had no major clout like he does now after TDK.

I too like MG as Rachel. She played an adult character that looks like an adult No offenst to Holmes, I did like Pieces of April...and that's about it. BUT...she looked way to young and out of place in comparison to the rest of the cast.

That guy from Shawshank who could sell me a bag of shit w/ just the sound of his voice.... Check
Frank Carter. Check.
Drexl. Check
The Machinist guy. Check.
The Samurai. Check.
Darkman. Check.
Katie Holmes...wait what?

She's easily the weakest cast member in there.

Exactly, you look at that cast and it's the old "one of these things is not like the other" game. But once Batman Begins was a hit with the critics and general movie goers (although its box office haul wasn't anything special, I'm sure the DVD rentals/sales were solid), then Nolan had a little more say on who to cast.

Of course, it's possible Katie Holmes passed on TDK to do Mad Money but that's probably studio spin that saves embarrassment on her part that some people probably didn't want her to return. Again, I could be wrong as it's complete conjecture on my part, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense for her to pass on returning especially given the character was going to die anyway.

Solid Snake 01-16-11 09:48 PM

wow you're right...it's still pretty good..but...not in comparison to what would be for these films.

via BOM

Domestic: $205,343,774 55.1%
+ Foreign: $167,366,241 44.9%
= Worldwide: $372,710,015

TheMovieman 01-16-11 10:00 PM

That's how much of a negative effect Batman & Robin had. I think so long as Batman Begins had reversed people's thinking and made a respectable amount, Warner was happy (plus the budget was 'only' $150 million so adding in DVD sales/rentals gave them a modest profit).

Of course, add to the fact that it didn't have a 'name' in the starring role. At the same time, you can't discount what Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Liam Neeson and Michael Caine did with bringing back some respect to the character and rebooting the franchise. I'm sure whoever signed on first signaled to the other actors that this was not going to be the same Batman as the last go around; not that none of them have been in any stinkers but more often they seem to choose good projects.

Solid Snake 01-16-11 10:23 PM

Yeah, cuz...those are some really solid fucking actors for sure.

It's funny...at the time of BB I'd only seen one Oldman film that I could remember (totally forgot about 5th Element at that time) so my only exposure to him was from Leon. My thoughts were..well...ok..he's playing a good cop....how odd. AND THEN did finally see his other films. Fucking Drexl, man. Oldman is fucking chameleon.

Groucho 01-16-11 10:36 PM

The folks who are worried about Christian Bale's weight need to research the movie he did right before Batman Begins.

Solid Snake 01-16-11 11:07 PM

Who's worried?

For those of you who don't know about what happend between The Machinist and BB:

Bale lost all that weight for The Machinist, right? Correct. When Nolan wanted CB to bulk up (these are Bale's words on recollecting what Nolan said) he was told, "To get as big as you can get"....well he did. Too much so that he was like "a bear" (Bale called himself that I believe).

RocShemp 01-16-11 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10593823)
Who's worried?

For those of you who don't know about what happend between The Machinist and BB:

Bale lost all that weight for The Machinist, right? Correct. When Nolan wanted CB to bulk up (these are Bale's words on recollecting what Nolan said) he was told, "To get as big as you can get"....well he did. Too much so that he was like "a bear" (Bale called himself that I believe).

Yup. One of the crew guys that knew Bale said "Jesus, Chris! Are we doing Batman or Fatman?" That's detailed in the special features of BB by Christian Bale himself. Although the bear comment was either from the costume designer or one of the producers.

Solid Snake 01-16-11 11:38 PM

I think you're right, my bad. I do remember Bale saying the Fatman comment.

ScissorPuppy 01-16-11 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 10593581)

Not only was Holmes the studio's idea, the entire character was as well. Nolan & Goyer's initial pitch didn't have the character at all. Instead Harvey Dent was presented as a boyhood friend of Bruce Wayne. WB felt Batman needed a love interest thus her character was born. They also felt the idea made the film into a "boys club" affair.

Boba Fett 01-16-11 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10593204)
Really? is that on the special features (cuz I haven't checked them out) or somewhere? Never heard that part.

It was in an interview with either a website or print publication.

TheMovieman 01-16-11 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy (Post 10593858)
Not only was Holmes the studio's idea, the entire character was as well. Nolan & Goyer's initial pitch didn't have the character at all. Instead Harvey Dent was presented as a boyhood friend of Bruce Wayne. WB felt Batman needed a love interest thus her character was born. They also felt the idea made the film into a "boys club" affair.

Yeah, that makes sense. Much credit to Goyer and Nolan for making it work as best they could given the limitations.

RocShemp 01-17-11 12:14 AM

I always felt that if you took out the kiss at the end (and made the DA/ex-boyfriend a woman), Rachel could have easily been swapped out for Harvey.

TheMovieman 01-17-11 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10593882)
I always felt that if you took out the kiss at the end (and made the DA/ex-boyfriend a woman), Rachel could have easily been swapped out for Harvey.

And the awkwardly and unintentionally funny slap when she takes him to where Falcone is early on... That would've been weird of Dent to slap Bruce. :lol:

Thing about that scene was, Holmes seemed so young for that role that I couldn't take it seriously when she actually scolds Bruce.

RocShemp 01-17-11 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 10593892)
And the awkwardly and unintentionally funny slap when she takes him to where Falcone is early on... That would've been weird of Dent to slap Bruce. :lol:

They could have switched that for a brotherly punch in the face. ;)

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 10593892)
Thing about that scene was, Holmes seemed so young for that role that I couldn't take it seriously when she actually scolds Bruce.

That (and the whole ride to that bar where Falcone would hang out) is the only bit of her acting that I truly liked. :lol:

TheMovieman 01-17-11 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10593903)

That (and the whole ride to that bar where Falcone would hang out) is the only bit of her acting that I truly liked. :lol:

Every time I watch that scene, in particular the part where she might as well wagged her finger when she said, "Your father would be ashamed" (or something along those lines), I could only laugh. It was like a child scolding an adult, just something that didn't mesh there... :p

Solid Snake 01-17-11 02:04 AM

still....I dunno how I'd feel about Dent being boyhood friends w/ Wayne. I kinda like him being the guy from outside GC who is coming in and fixing things.

mdc3000 01-17-11 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10593524)
Also...filming starts in May...all the way up to November. At least that's what Caine was told from Emma Thompson. Also that they would get the script in January.

Emma Thompson or Emma Thomas? Did Nanny McPhee step into a producer's role here? ;) (For all know it could be the former, I was just wondering if that was a typo)

Solid Snake 01-17-11 08:03 AM

....Damnit. Its a fucking typo.

DthRdrX 01-17-11 11:32 AM

When Begins was still in production I remember reading that Holmes was requested by WB as well. I still wish they would have introduced Harvey in the first movie anyway but what can you do.

The Bus 01-17-11 03:17 PM

Bale lost a lot of weight for The Fighter, too.

Double_Oh_7 01-17-11 03:39 PM

I agree with WB... of course Bruce Wayne needs a love interest. And while she is the weakest part of the film, Katie isn't THAT bad.

gryffinmaster 01-19-11 11:43 AM

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...-knight-rises/

‘Dark Knight Rises’: Anne Hathaway will be Catwoman, Tom Hardy is Bane
Jan. 19, 2011 | 9:32 a.m.

This just in, a press release from Warner Bros..

Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle in Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight Rises.” She will be starring alongside Christian Bale, who returns in the title role of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Christopher Nolan stated, “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story.”

In addition, Tom Hardy has been set to play Bane. Nolan said, “I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman’s most formidable enemies.” Nolan will direct the film from a screenplay he wrote with Jonathan Nolan, from a story by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer. Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner, Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven. “The Dark Knight Rises” is slated for release on July 20, 2012. The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

pinata242 01-19-11 11:45 AM

So, does that mean Catwoman will actually appear or is it just the Kyle character with a possible spin-off opportunity?