Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like that actor who played Tony Blair and David Frost to be the Penquin he has the nose for it. No black comic for Riddler! Catwoman can be black.
Old 12-22-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Oh lord, still this bullshit:

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=19257

Remember that zany, apparently debunked rumor about Eddie Murphy playing the Riddler? If you check out the Guardian, the person who started it stands by his alleged facts. "The Sun's Gordon Smart told me this morning that he was standing by his story on the basis that it had come from a reliable contact – one responsible in 2005 for revealing to the world the then-unlikely casting of Daniel Craig as 007.

'Everyone had a crack at us when we published that one,' said Smart. 'I was almost laughed out of conference that day, but it turned out to be spot on. I wish I had had a bet on it.' Off the record, Smart revealed his precise source, and if we are to believe him, it would appear a pretty reliable one. It follows, then, that the rest of yesterday's story might also be falsehood-free.

So, on that basis, prepare yourself for a Dark Knight sequel in 2010 (despite the fact that Nolan hasn't even officially signed on yet for a third film) titled 'Gotham,' featuring Murphy, LaBeouf and Bale, with Rachel Weisz as Catwoman. Gird your loins, also, for a cliffhanger denouement in which Wayne Towers is hit by a blast which may or may not have offed the Batman."
Old 12-22-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If any of that is remotely true, it sounds incredibly gay.

"Gotham". Really?

Sounds more like a Spider-Man 3 rush job than another Nolan Batman film.
Old 12-22-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly
If any of that is remotely true, it sounds incredibly gay.

"Gotham". Really?

Sounds more like a Spider-Man 3 rush job than another Nolan Batman film.
Maybe it's because I wasn't as into Spidey as I am into these Nolan Batman films, but if they pull this crap, this would certainly be the first time I don't complete a film saga. And that's coming from someone who owns Spidey 3, Star Trek V and the latest Indiana Jones.

Seriously WB - don't fuck this up. Let Nolan do what he needs to do, and let it come out in 2011. He's already delivered twice - no reason to believe it won't happen again.
Old 12-22-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
No way this comes out before 2011.... Nolan will do another smaller-scale film...and we'll hear some actual real rumors early 2010 when possible casting begins. I personally envision a third film mirroring the first.... Wayne/Batman is gone "finding himself" and eventually comes back to Gotham to fight crime that has risen up in his absence. Probably develops a relationship with talia (would also parellel raj from BB) or catwoman and then when he returns to Gotham he must also fight them...
Old 12-22-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I refuse to buy any of these rumors until Nolan signs on. I can see the studio trying to push their actors onto the director. I can understand them signing Shia Lebeuf and making Nolan direct him as Robin because Shia is considered a strong up and comer with some box office pull. However I just can't see them pushing Eddie Murphy anymore. He's washed up and is no longer a bankable star.
Old 12-22-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I like Shia, I don't want them making another Robin who is in his mid-20's. Chris O'Donnell's came off as incredibly whiny for someone who looked like they were pushing 30.
Old 12-22-08, 03:27 PM
Suspended

unless it comes from Nolan, I don't believe it.
Old 12-22-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I'd take Shia over Will Smith's Kid. And you know some executives have considered it.
Old 12-22-08, 06:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
I refuse to buy any of these rumors until Nolan signs on. I can see the studio trying to push their actors onto the director. I can understand them signing Shia Lebeuf and making Nolan direct him as Robin because Shia is considered a strong up and comer with some box office pull. However I just can't see them pushing Eddie Murphy anymore. He's washed up and is no longer a bankable star.
I agree with what you're saying about them trying to push him, but if WB thinks like this, they're idiots, since The Dark Knight has grossed almost a billion.
Old 12-22-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
for the record, Eddie's agent has come out and said the rumor is completely false.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=11378&count=0
Old 12-22-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I really don't see why WB wouldn't give Nolan 200 million and complete control over this movie....save for perhaps delivering a runtime around 2 1/2 hrs.
Old 12-22-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I look foward to seeing this thread in 3 years, where we go from crazy rumors, to casting choices that makes people foam at the mouth, to general praise of the film before it hits.

The Robin rumor seems way off base, theres no way Nolan can work it into this universe he's created, Unless the third film takes place about a decade or so after Dark Knight - which would be interesting direction to take.

Oh, and like it has been said before, he simply doesn't want to use the character.
Old 12-22-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
I look foward to seeing this thread in 3 years, where we go from crazy rumors, to casting choices that makes people foam at the mouth, to general praise of the film before it hits.
Like when everyone was bad mouthing the casting decision of Heath Ledger?

I'll say, whomever Nolan decides to cast as villains in the next Batman movie, people will be shocked and probably outraged.
Old 12-23-08, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'll say, whomever Nolan decides to cast as villains in the next Batman movie, people will be shocked and probably outraged.
Not if they cast Heath Ledger..
Old 12-23-08, 05:23 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
[QUOTE=stingermck;9149600]Oh lord, still this bullshit:

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=19257

Remember that zany, apparently debunked rumor about Eddie Murphy playing the Riddler? If you check out the Guardian, the person who started it stands by his alleged facts. "The Sun's Gordon Smart told me this morning that he was standing by his story on the basis that it had come from a reliable contact – one responsible in 2005 for revealing to the world the then-unlikely casting of Daniel Craig as 007.

'Everyone had a crack at us when we published that one,' said Smart. 'I was almost laughed out of conference that day, but it turned out to be spot on. I wish I had had a bet on it.' Off the record, Smart revealed his precise source, and if we are to believe him, it would appear a pretty reliable one. It follows, then, that the rest of yesterday's story might also be falsehood-free.

QUOTE]

So it appears as though he got one right in 2005. My question is how many has he been horribly wrong on in the past three years or does he only make his prognostications once every three years...anyhoo hopefully it's a load of crap!

bcd
Old 12-23-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Nolan will wait to have a script in hand before casting new actors.
Old 12-23-08, 07:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I really think Dick Grayson would work into Nolan's Batverse. Not necessarily Robin but just a young Dick Grayson.

TDK ended so bleakly that adding Grayson would bring some light back to and humanize Bruce again.
Old 12-23-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree, I don't think Dick would be that out of place in Nolan's world, even as Robin.
Old 12-23-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I agree, I don't think Dick would be that out of place in Nolan's world, even as Robin.
But Shia LeBeouf? Hmm...

...also I want the chick in my avatar to play Catwoman.
Old 12-23-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Catwoman can be black.
I'm trying to think of the best way to say this without it coming off wrong ... I don't have any problem changing the ethinicity of the character, but ...

Wasn't that done once -- with atrocious results?
Old 12-23-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depending how true to the source Nolan wants to stay ... here's my pitch:

How about introducing the Riddler and Harley Quinn as quasi-cultists who were inadvertently converted by the Joker when the ferry they were on was almost blown up? During that excruciating event the psyche of these two snaps and they "subscribe" to what they believe to be the Joker's dogma. Of course, this is unwelcome by the Joker.

Due to the nature of the character , I don't think anybody can be directly aligned with the Joker of the Nolan bat-world ... even Harley Quinn would be a stretch.
Old 12-24-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
PLEASE no Robin. I love the Batman as a solo act, not with a kid sidekick.
Old 12-24-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Depending how true to the source Nolan wants to stay ... here's my pitch:

How about introducing the Riddler and Harley Quinn as quasi-cultists who were inadvertently converted by the Joker when the ferry they were on was almost blown up? During that excruciating event the psyche of these two snaps and they "subscribe" to what they believe to be the Joker's dogma. Of course, this is unwelcome by the Joker.

Due to the nature of the character , I don't think anybody can be directly aligned with the Joker of the Nolan bat-world ... even Harley Quinn would be a stretch.
With the idea of people copying Batman that was introduced in The Dark Knight, I think people imitating the Joker isn't too far-fetched. Especially since in a way, the Joker won at the end. He managed to kill Dent and destroy Batman.

With the Joker locked up in Arkham and Batman being hunted by the cops, it only makes sense that a Joker-inspired freak rises in the criminal world.

I envision a great scene where Batman goes to Arkham and asks the Joker how to stop the criminals. Where you have the Joker in almost a Hannibal Lecter type role. Too bad Heath had to go and die. However, I think if you keep the Joker in the dark and have someone re-create his voice, it could be pulled off.

Well, that's just me rambling me off.
Old 12-24-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We're on the same page! I am worrisome of the Hannibal Lecter comparison, particularly if Harley Quinn were to try to visit him, like Clarice. But yes, that's what I'm going for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.