Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Old 12-14-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rachel Weitz as Catwoman? Works for me, if only to see her in that outfit.
Old 12-14-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd rather see Weisz as Talia Al Ghul.
Old 12-14-08, 10:44 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batman 3 won't even be out until at least 2011. But it'll most likely be worth it. I'm betting Nolan names someone we haven't mentioned as the next villian.
Old 12-14-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I truly doubt it is in pre-production yet.

As for casting - I still remember when there was talks that Ryan Phillippe (or wtf ever) was "casted" as Harvey Dent, Crispin Glover was a "possible" Joker and Philip Seymore Hoffman was offered the role of the Penguin (?!?).

This stuff is pointless right now.
Old 12-14-08, 12:28 PM

That article (appropriately from the "Movie News & Gossip" page) is just the latest in a nonstop, 3,000,000-strong glut of tabloid fodder rumors. WB has more moles than CTU? I don't think so.

As this is a Batman 3 discussion, I'll make my obligatory suggestions for the next 2 villains.

No Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy or Talia al Ghul.
Joker isn't coming back. Two-Face is dead.
Anyone wanting to see Ventriloquist/Scarface should remind themselves that this is 2008 and Joel Schumacher no longer directs the franchise.

and

Old 12-17-08, 09:10 PM

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,088 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but who is Skullhead McSkullerson there?
Old 12-17-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by dogmatica
Pardon my ignorance, but who is Skullhead McSkullerson there?
That's Black Mask. If I recall correctly, he wears a mask made from the ashes of his father's coffin or some such craziness.
Old 12-17-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, i'll pass on the Red Skull reject.
Old 12-17-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by metaridley
WB has more moles than CTU? I don't think so.
Rachel Weisz has quite a few moles.
Old 12-17-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
I'd like to see Azrael re-imagined as a League of Shadows member (just cos R'as apparently died doesn't mean the surviving members suddenly forgot that Bruce is Batman) sent to accomplish what they intended Bruce to carry out when he was trained to lead the League of Shadows. They could make his costume have a passing resemblance to the Batsuit. Given how negative he must seem to the public at large and law enforment officials after the conclusion of The Dark Knight, it'd be easy for everyone (save for Gordon and his family) to assume that Batman is on a vigilante killing spree.

That'd be the perfect way to shoehorn the Riddler since I'm sure he'd easily figure out there's two masked men running around and would quickly use that to his advantage. Perhaps even have Riddler incorrectly deduce that Batman is Jean Paul Valley at some point.

As for Bane, he'd only work in the Nolanverse if his pysique is better than Batman's but not at the near superhuman levels he had in the comics and Batman & Robin. They'd also have to focus on his smarts. Many forget that Venom not only increases his strength but also his mental faculties.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-17-08 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-18-08, 05:14 AM

I think plausibly we could see Bane. Maybe Killer Croc? Deformative skin disease?

I just don't see many villains in the Nolan/Batman universe that would work considering he leaves out the goofy tones of the first batman franchise.
Old 12-18-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hell Ill just throw in Prometheus because why not?
Old 12-18-08, 08:09 AM

The news on IMDB is always to be taken with a grain of salt, and I think this has to prove that:

Murphy And Labeouf For Batman
17 December 2008 5:29 PM, PST

Eddie Murphy and Shia Labeouf have been lined up to star in the next Batman movie, according to reports.

The Beverly Hills Cop actor will star as The Riddler and Labeouf will play the caped crusader's sidekick Robin in the next instalment, tentatively titled Gotham.

Actress Rachel Weisz is reportedly in the frame to play Catwoman. Christian Bale will return as Bruce Wayne and Michael Caine will again play his assistant Alfred, according to British newspaper The Sun.

The movie, which is slated for a 2010 release, will be directed by Christopher Nolan, who made The Dark Knight such a huge success when it was released this year.

A source says, "Chris wasn't sure if he wanted to do another movie but as soon as he decided to, he got the wheels in motion. Eddie's a fantastic addition. Everyone's excited to see what he does as the Riddler."

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0631354/

Last edited by bjh_18; 12-18-08 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-18-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I don't believe that one for a second.
Old 12-18-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Wow thats stupid.
Old 12-18-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Also reported in UK tabs:

Eddie Murphy & Shia LaDouche
Old 12-18-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
I'd be cool w/ Weisz, but I hope the other two turn out to be horrible speculation.

I don't mind Shia, but I don't him anywhere near Nolan's Batman.
Old 12-18-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Total bullshit. Nolan doesn't even have fleshed out ideas yet.
Old 12-18-08, 10:17 AM
Mod Emeritus

I realise that this is all based on speculation, and that The Currant Bun isn't the most reliable source, but if I were choosing a famous black comedian to play the Riddler I think I'd choose Chris Rock over Eddie Murphy.
Old 12-18-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No Riddler. Riddler always seemed like a knock-off Joker to me. Penguin seems like the obvious choice being Batman's other famous foe. Have him be a crime boss filling the void that the was left in DK. Of course have some other villian there.
Old 12-18-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure that Christopher Nolan even said in an interview not long before TDK hit theaters that if they even thought about adding Robin to the mix that he would up and leave the project behind forever.

I think The Penguin and Harley Quinn would work great together in the Nolan universe.

The Penguin could be the crime boss pulling the strings, and Harley Quinn could be out for revenge for the downfall of The Joker.

I also like the idea of The Riddler being hired by the police as a good guy (at least from what it seems to everyone), to track down and find Batman, who almost everyone hates now.

Last edited by Brent L; 12-18-08 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-18-08, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
I'm pretty sure that Christopher Nolan even said in an interview not long before TDK hit theaters that if they even thought about adding Robin to the mix that he would up and leave the project behind forever.

I think The Penguin and Harley Quinn would work great together in the Nolan universe.

The Penguin could be the crime boss pulling the strings, and Harley Quinn could be out for revenge for the downfall of The Joker.

I also like the idea of The Riddler being hired by the police as a good guy (at least from what it seems to everyone), to track down and find Batman, who almost everyone hates now.

Harley Quinn was one of my immediate first choices after I saw TDK. Who knows, i'm excited either way. I just hope it goes in a positive direction, Nolan has a pretty decent track record IMHO.
Old 12-18-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L

A couple of things they can do:

The Riddler. Nolan can really do a complete different take on the character which is well past due. The working with the police angle is an interesting idea, or they'll just make him the central villian.

The Penguin. Take note: What happened to all of the mobsters in TDK? This opens the door for the Penguin to step in and run things. The mob's influence on Gotham has been a central theme since the beginning of Begins so I expect it to continue.

Catwoman. Nolan added a throwaway line in TDK about cats, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him at least introduce this character in the third film. They will probably add a female character to the film.

Talia or Harley Quinn. Eveyone will be gunning at brining Batman down. Why not throw a character seeking revenge into the mix. I love Harley but Talia would bookend the trilogy the best.

Deadshot. Hired by the mob to kill Batman. He was used in the Gotham Knight short and would be easy to adapt to Nolan's world.
Old 12-18-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by benedict
I realise that this is all based on speculation, and that The Currant Bun isn't the most reliable source, but if I were choosing a famous black comedian to play the Riddler I think I'd choose Chris Rock over Eddie Murphy.
I don't know. Chris Rock's standup is hilarious, but his film track record is spotty at best.
Old 12-18-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sadly, since it's mentioned in the same circles as these Murphy / LaBouf rumors, I wouldn't put stock in Rachel Weisz as Catwoman either -- though that'd be a phenomenal decision. I'd still love to see Michael Emerson as The Riddler, or Guy Pearce.

Originally Posted by resinrats
No Riddler. Riddler always seemed like a knock-off Joker to me.
That thought right there could actually play to the film's advantage.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.