Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

I also found a YouTube video of the news reports about 89's VHS sell-through release, which was only 4 months after the film's theatrical opening (it set a new record for the smallest window at that time). So again, things were no where near as different from today in 1989 as some people want to misremember.

To sum up, it had nowhere near as wide of a release as the current film, it had plenty of high profile blockbuster competition in theaters, it had just as early of a sell-through home video release (and, as Mabuse pointed out, it was a wildly successful sell-through release) as is common today, yet it still seems to be ahead in numbers of tickets sold.

Internet kryptonite, indeed.
Old 08-24-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

If you're going to argue that the film/movie-going dynamics and economics of 23 years ago are remotely comparable to 2012, well... let's just say we agree to disagree.
Old 08-24-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I also found a YouTube video of the news reports about 89's VHS sell-through release, which was only 4 months after the film's theatrical opening (it set a new record for the smallest window at that time). So again, things were no where near as different from today in 1989 as some people want to misremember.

To sum up, it had nowhere near as wide of a release as the current film, it had plenty of high profile blockbuster competition in theaters, it had just as early of a sell-through home video release (and, as Mabuse pointed out, it was a wildly successful sell-through release) as is common today, yet it still seems to be ahead in numbers of tickets sold.

Internet kryptonite, indeed.
So the better film made more money, but sold less tickets? Interesting.
Old 08-24-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If you're going to argue that the film/movie-going dynamics and economics of 23 years ago are remotely comparable to 2012, well... let's just say we agree to disagree.
All I did was refute the stated reasons that others gave as supporting arguments for the claimed differences between 1989 and 2012 (long theatrical runs, less competition, longer sell-through window). Based on fact, those reasons are invalidated.

If you would care to expound on what you think makes things so different, I am willing to listen (well, read, anyway ).
Old 08-24-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
So the better film made more money, but sold less tickets? Interesting.
Accounting for inflation, not really (at least, not domestically). And, in terms of ROI percentage, TDKR with its 250M budget pales in comparison to Batman 89 and its 35M budget.
Old 08-24-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Accounting for inflation, not really (at least, not domestically). And, in terms of ROI percentage, TDKR with its 250M budget pales in comparison to Batman 89 and its 35M budget.
So the better film sold less tickets and made less money after adjusting for inflation? Interesting. Did you adjust each budget for inflation also?
Old 08-24-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
So the better film sold less tickets and made less money after adjusting for inflation? Interesting. Did you adjust each budget for inflation also?
Note: I never said "the better film", you inferred that.

Adjusting for inflation, the budget of Batman 89 today would be around 65M.
Old 08-24-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Note: I never said "the better film", you inferred that.
I never implied that you did, it started in my post, so I take ownership of that opinion.
Old 08-24-12, 07:20 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
While you are right that 1989 and 2012 are very different, I think from all the evidence that is on display here one could easily argue that the movie going economics of today were very much spawned by the jugernaught that was Batman in 1989. It was a monster big film with monster big promotion, monster big box office, fast to video, monster seller on video, etc.

While things were very different back then, everything about Batman '89s release was just like today.
Old 08-24-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Yeah, let's see. Summer 1989. There was...

Look Who's Talking
lol
Old 09-02-12, 06:18 PM
Banned

This finally passed The Dark Knight's box office take this weekend.

$1,005,196,000 to $1,003,045,358 currently.

2nd highest grossing movie this year, #1 without 3D.
Old 09-02-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I wouldn't take any of those movies over Avengers or Dark Knight Rises. Lot of mediocrity on that list for me too.
After having seen TDKR four times, I honestly prefer UHF. Really.
Old 09-02-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
This finally passed The Dark Knight's box office take this weekend.

$1,005,196,000 to $1,003,045,358 currently.

2nd highest grossing movie this year, #1 without 3D.
Despite a slightly disappointing domestic take, still an impressive back-to-back success for Nolan (and a good effort, box office wise, for Batman Begins considering the stench from Batman & Robin still permeated in some minds).
Old 09-02-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Interesting that for total take it did better than TDK. I guess American audiences are more difficult to impress.
Old 09-02-12, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I guess American audiences are more difficult to impress.
Yeah, just one guy in a ridiculous superhero costume isn't enough for them anymore.
Old 09-02-12, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Despite a slightly disappointing domestic take, still an impressive back-to-back success for Nolan (and a good effort, box office wise, for Batman Begins considering the stench from Batman & Robin still permeated in some minds).
I still don't see how it can be labeling as slightly disappointing. With the shooting and the Olympics this movie will end up as the 7th highest grossing movie of all time domestically. There is nothing disappointing about that. I don't know that's just how I see.
Old 09-02-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bootsy
I still don't see how it can be labeling as slightly disappointing. With the shooting and the Olympics this movie will end up as the 7th highest grossing movie of all time domestically. There is nothing disappointing about that. I don't know that's just how I see.
Because, even with the memory of the shooting fading, and the Olympics long over, the current (i.e., the past 2-3 weeks) daily box office take for TDKR lags about 30% behind TDK, on a day-to-day comparison, despite still having command of many higher-priced IMAX theaters. TDKR will likely break $450M, but not by much. That will put it more than $80M behind TDK, even without adjusting for inflation. I have no doubt that Warner Bros had higher hopes for the trilogy finale than that.

And, let's not forget, the 2008 Olympics occurred during the theatrical run of TDK.
Old 09-02-12, 10:23 PM
Banned

Because, even with the memory of the shooting fading, and the Olympics long over, the current (i.e., the past 2-3 weeks) daily box office take for TDKR lags about 30% behind TDK, on a day-to-day comparison, despite still having command of many higher-priced IMAX theaters. TDKR will likely break $450M, but not by much. That will put it more than $80M behind TDK, even without adjusting for inflation. I have no doubt that Warner Bros had higher hopes for the trilogy finale than that.

And, let's not forget, the 2008 Olympics occurred during the theatrical run of TDK.
I still don't see a movie that makes $450M as being disappointing on any level. Disappointing would be if this movie made $250M or $300M. You are comparing it to what TDK made but there are now only 3 movies that have made as much as TDK domestically. The Olympics started 2 weeks after TDK had already been out whereas TDKR it started a week after it came out.
Old 09-02-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

It's only the #3 top grossing superhero movie of all time, over a billion dollars worldwide, and all this WITHOUT premium 3D pricing?

You're right. What a fucking disappointment.
Old 09-02-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Also there's a lot to be said for having a marquee villain. Heath Ledger death arguments aside, people love the fucking Joker. He's an easy sell. A no name villain that the bulk of society had never heard of, played by a non-marquee actor that mumbles through the whole movie is a tough sell.

I think it's silly to think this would have ever surpassed TDK, but to still be top 10 of all time? That's hardly a disappointment.
Old 09-03-12, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bootsy
I still don't see a movie that makes $450M as being disappointing on any level. Disappointing would be if this movie made $250M or $300M. You are comparing it to what TDK made but there are now only 3 movies that have made as much as TDK domestically. The Olympics started 2 weeks after TDK had already been out whereas TDKR it started a week after it came out.
I was only pointing out the kind of thinking that might be going on at Warner Bros.

As a blockbuster movie, of course it isn't a disappointment. But to WB, as the successor to TDK, they might have expected a bit more.
Old 09-03-12, 12:42 AM
Banned

I was only pointing out the kind of thinking that might be going on at Warner Bros.

As a blockbuster movie, of course it isn't a disappointment. But to WB, as the successor to TDK, they might have expected a bit more.
I think WB's pretty happy with the results especially after the shootings. People didn't know what to expect to happen after that opening day.
Old 09-03-12, 12:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think it's silly to think this would have ever surpassed TDK,
But it did.
Old 09-03-12, 01:13 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty sure he meant domestically.
Old 09-03-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Pretty sure he meant domestically.
Domestic or worldwide, there's no arguing that it made WB some major $$, and once the BR hits, it will most likely generate more as many who own the first two (like me) will probably buy it just to have the complete trilogy. While I know I pick on this movie a bit, it still shines above and beyond the average movie released nowadays, and it still ends the best adaptation of the Batman saga.

That said:

Spoiler:
Why didn't Lucius Fox just trip the flood device when Bane and his goons tried to get the bomb activated?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.