Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-11, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

It's going to end with Gotham no longer needing Batman, allowing Bruce to focus on his own life and the task of finishing his father's dream of a safe, habitable Gotham. It simply cannot end any other way given the nature of the story and the motivations of the character.

Bruce/Batman will not die.
Old 12-30-11, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by georgec
It's going to end with Gotham no longer needing Batman, allowing Bruce to focus on his own life and the task of finishing his father's dream of a safe, habitable Gotham. It simply cannot end any other way...
Spoiler:

So you're saying it will end with the Rapture?

I honestly never entertained that possibility. We'll see.
Old 12-30-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's going to end with Gotham no longer needing Batman, allowing Bruce to focus on his own life and the task of finishing his father's dream of a safe, habitable Gotham. It simply cannot end any other way given the nature of the story and the motivations of the character.

That's my biggest hope for him and the city.
Old 12-30-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last edited by Paul_SD; 12-30-11 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-30-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

That would be a rather definitive ending and one that would fit. Nolan really is doing all he can to tell the story of Batman in three movies, which is rather difficult when you look at all the history available. An ending along the lines of the one spoilerized would seem like a sellout on his behalf (basically leaving it open for more movies), and that's uncharacteristic of him.

What would be cool is the ending above occurs and Bruce/Batman retires. However, if leaving it open for a sequel must occur, have someone passively mention the early formation of a street gang known as "the mutants" who are merely pesky kids (at this point) . Then, about 10 years from now, make a Dark Knight Returns!!!
Old 12-30-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Gotham were a small town of several hundred to a thousand people, I'd say your premise might work.
To even suggest that in a city of millions that large scale crime and corruption would be vanquished entirely for any period of time seems inane to me.

That's why I'm not really quite sure where Nolan was coming from in the first film anymore. Bruce Wayne experienced a huge personal blow- but that extreme bit of violence doesn't apply to every citizen. If his point was that Bruce projected that extreme personal blow onto the city and then set about to cleanse the city based on that narrow tunnel vision- that would be an interesting, and valid, take on the character I guess. And if that were the case, then Bruce's story is finished when he himself no longer feels the city is infected with evil/crime/etc. That's the only way I could see him making a conscious choice to hang up his cape if he were still in otherwise sound physical condition.

But him letting go of his animus and obsession is not the same as Gotham being safe and habitable.
It was always safe and habitable for the hundreds of thousands of people before who weren't touched by violent crime, and that's the way it will be in the future. For the unfortunate and unlucky, it will always remain a hellhole.
Old 12-30-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
But him letting go of his animus and obsession is not the same as Gotham being safe and habitable.
It was always safe and habitable for the hundreds of thousands of people before who weren't touched by violent crime, and that's the way it will be in the future. For the unfortunate and unlucky, it will always remain a hellhole.

I was kind of alluding to that with my mention of The Dark Knight Returns. FWIW, it also appears that Selina Kyle mentions such to him in the new trailer. The mutants were a gang that arose more or less from the exact set of circumstances you mention after Gotham achieved a state of safety (at least enough to not require Batman) for a number of years. Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever, so Batman had to come out of retirement at 55 to clean up his city once again.
Old 12-30-11, 06:00 PM

I thought it was obvious "safe and habitable" refers to not just Gotham for the upper and middle class but also for the lower class. Cleaning up the slums/narrows and generally improving the quality of life for them. We wouldn't see the final product in TDKR, but the movie will end by showing Bruce's commitment to focusing on his father's dream and leave us with the impression that after some years he will succeed.

It's not a far-fetched concept...
Old 12-30-11, 07:02 PM

I would agree but don't forget the corrupted cops they had to deal with in the first movie (or just mentioned anyway) as well as the rising crime. By the looks of it that crime was finally dwindling back to a controllable state and citizens would also wish to take up Batman's role as well. Another good thing to come out of NOT having a Robin. First Robin grew up to be Nightwing, second one died in battle, then the third was obsessive.

Unfortunately it's in every big city like New York, Atlanta, LA, Detroit, etc. There's always going to be that one big section full of crime and poverty. There's only so much a symbol and a vigilante can bring to a big city.
Old 12-30-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

But that wouldn't go with what I'm used to getting from Nolan: cathartic mournful, ambigious endings. That "leaked" ending sounds exactly like Nolan.
Old 12-30-11, 08:36 PM

Some additional thoughts on themes of the Batman arc in Nolan's movies.

Batman Begins - overcoming fear
The Dark Knight - embracing duality of crimefighter/public servant role
The Dark Knight Rises - redemption, moving on, healing?

The trilogy will come full circle and encapsulate Bruce Wayne's story. His story began with trying to live up to his father's name and wanting to make Gotham a better place. TDKR will finish with that mission complete or on the path to completion.

Crime and poverty will never be 100% gone, but this is about drastically reducing them and eliminating the mobs and corruption that make these things so prevalent.

Last edited by georgec; 12-30-11 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-31-11, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Is that a photoshop? Or does he completely alter his mask for the finale?
Old 12-31-11, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Is that a photoshop? Or does he completely alter his mask for the finale?
If you believe the "leaked stuff"

Spoiler:
He has no mask in the finale .
Old 12-31-11, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If he died and it was told well...I'd be game for it. Give me something unexpected from the norm. If not..well..I hope it's still a solid flick too.
Old 12-31-11, 09:14 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
If he died and it was told well...I'd be game for it. Give me something unexpected from the norm. If not..well..I hope it's still a solid flick too.
Bruce Wayne may die, but there is no way the concept of Batman does. It's just too bleak of an ending.
Old 12-31-11, 09:49 AM
Banned

Batman dying isn't necessary bleak. Dying for Gotham and the city knowing it among all the shit that they would've gone through by what we see and what we still haven't....doesn't mean it'd be bleak. It could be a death w/ great meaning to uplift Gotham to be the utmost of good it needs to be. To force it to change in a way. Or...something that can do that. Hell if Bats died in battle etc. and Gotham finds out Wayne is Bats? Even seeing Wayne as Batman w/o the mask and fighting the chaos. Yeah...that'd be pretty damn interesting. it'd have to be told very well regardless cuz now you're treading on dangerous ground on how to give it impact on the screen.

Again...I'm not saying he has to die in TDKR. I'm just saying...for me..it'd be unexpected and I'd welcome the idea as long as it was well told.
Old 12-31-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts

I finally saw the prologue in front of MI4. I could NOT understand most of what Bane was saying.
Old 12-31-11, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Verra
I would agree but don't forget the corrupted cops they had to deal with in the first movie (or just mentioned anyway) as well as the rising crime. By the looks of it that crime was finally dwindling back to a controllable state and citizens would also wish to take up Batman's role as well. Another good thing to come out of NOT having a Robin. First Robin grew up to be Nightwing, second one died in battle, then the third was obsessive.

Unfortunately it's in every big city like New York, Atlanta, LA, Detroit, etc. There's always going to be that one big section full of crime and poverty. There's only so much a symbol and a vigilante can bring to a big city.
i just saw the trailer when i went to see sherlock holmes and there was this young twenty something man who was not in the other movies. could that be robin?
Old 12-31-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by mostaccioli
i just saw the trailer when i went to see sherlock holmes and there was this young twenty something man who was not in the other movies. could that be robin?
No.
Old 12-31-11, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mostaccioli
Fuck no.
Old 12-31-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
If you believe the "leaked stuff"

Spoiler:
He has no mask in the finale .
I know that he
Spoiler:
is rumoured to not have his mask during the final fight.
But that mask is different than the one he wears in TDK. The opening for the mouth is much bigger. It even looks more open than the mask he wears in BB.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-31-11 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-31-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I know that he
Spoiler:
is rumoured to not have his mask during the final fight.

Taking a page from Marvel Movies' notebook I see
Old 12-31-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
[/SPOILER]

Taking a page from Marvel Movies' notebook I see
In all fairness,
Spoiler:
Tim Burton pulled that no-mask routine way back during the climax of Batman Returns. Sure it wasn't technically a fight but I don't think the actual fight scenes were much of that either.
Old 01-03-12, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whiny little bitches can stop whining now:

http://collider.com/dark-knight-rise...leaned/135038/

Exclusive: New Audio Mix on DARK KNIGHT RISES IMAX Prologue; Bane Now Easier to Understand

It’s pretty safe to say that Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises is one of the most anticipated movies of the year. Some fans were treated to an early look at the film by way of a six-minute prologue earlier this month on select IMAX screens. While most were very happy with the footage, the one universal complaint has been that Bane’s (Tom Hardy) dialogue is hard to understand. Even in the newest trailer, it’s hard to decipher what the guy’s saying.

A few weeks ago, it was reported that despite widespread outcry, Nolan had no plans to rework Bane’s dialogue. He said he wasn’t opposed to “altering the sounds slightly” but he refused to “rework it completely.” Sources have now informed us that Warner Bros. has sent out a new audio mix for the Dark Knight Rises prologue to IMAX theaters, and Bane’s dialogue is now much easier to understand.

A source has informed us that a new audio mix was sent to IMAX theaters a few days ago. Here’s what he had to say:

“A friend of mine who is an IMAX projectionist told me they received a new soundtrack for the Dark Knight Rises prologue. He said it’s now a combo soundtrack with Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, but the cool thing about this is that they’ve cleaned up the dialogue. They’ve gone in and lowered the background noise of the plane and other things, thus making Bane’s dialogue clearer and more understandable. He asked some people after they left the movie if they could understand Bane and they all said they had no issue understanding him, and were excited for the movie.”

It definitely sounds like Nolan is sticking to his guns (ie. not reworking Bane’s dialogue), but he’s at least conceding that the audio—one way or another—needs work. While I understand the director’s desire to have audiences participate rather than have everything pushed at them, when the majority of viewers can’t understand what your villain is saying, something’s gotta give.

When asked how much clearer Bane’s dialogue is now compared to when we first heard it, our source said “40-50%, because he’s no longer being overpowered by the background noise that drowned him out before.” As I’ve yet to see the prologue I can’t say whether or not the background noises seemed to be an issue, but given our source’s reaction to the new mix I’d say Nolan’s found a fine compromise. He doesn’t have to sacrifice the integrity of his vision by dumbing things down, and we can now understand what the hell Bane is saying.
Old 01-03-12, 01:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We haven't received anything. Maybe the holiday gummed things up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.