Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I would think the other way around makes more sense.
So Batman will fake Bruce Wayne's death? That doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-12-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
So Batman will fake Bruce Wayne's death? That doesn't make any sense.
Yep. Bruce Wayne will be presumed dead or really dead and Batman will live on forever.
Old 12-12-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yep. Bruce Wayne will be presumed dead or really dead and Batman will live on forever.
What would be the point of that?
Old 12-12-11, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the family of an actress who turned down a role in the film, we now know who child actress Joey King is playing, which in itself confirms what we've suspected all along about another actress in the film:

Spoiler:

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/archive..._screen_debut/

This concerns an 8 year-old actress named Leilah De Meza, who was doing press for another film when this spoiler was inadvertently revealed:

The young actress was offered the part of "young Talia al Ghul", who, in the Batman comics, is the daughter of Ra's al Ghul, the man who trained Batman's alias Bruce Wayne in Martial arts.

Leilah's mother, Paula De Meza, said: "After careful consideration we turned it down as they were insistent that Leilah had to shave all her hair off.

"We were prepared to have it cut short but not shaved at such a young age. We were concerned how this could have affected Leilah’s confidence and general social welfare."
Old 12-13-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's great parenting. Really nice to see a parent putting their young child's self-view ahead of the paycheck and notoriety.
Old 12-13-11, 12:12 AM

Doesn't excuse their reveal of a major spoiler. They could've said just as much without saying WHO she was offered to play and it would not have changed a thing. Until now, no one knew who King was cast as.
Old 12-13-11, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did the parent publish that article? Not sure how I was excusing putting in a spoiler as a non-sequitur.
Old 12-13-11, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcfly
What would be the point of that?
Because Batman is a legend that cannot be killed but Bruce is just a man, yadda, yadda.
Old 12-13-11, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Did the parent publish that article? Not sure how I was excusing putting in a spoiler as a non-sequitur.
I didn't say you were excusing anything at all. Their choice was fine but they didn't have to spoil anything beyond bringing up the fact that she was offered a role.
Old 12-13-11, 04:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Thanks to the family of an actress who turned down a role in the film, we now know who child actress Joey King is playing, which in itself confirms what we've suspected all along about another actress in the film:

Spoiler:

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/archive..._screen_debut/

This concerns an 8 year-old actress named Leilah De Meza, who was doing press for another film when this spoiler was inadvertently revealed:

I would rather have

Spoiler:
Talia as a 20+ year old romantically involved with Bruce. Then maybe if Bruce does die, there could be an ending scene with pregnant Talia. The comic book readers will know that she is pregnant with Damian who eventually becomes Batman. It would be a neat easter egg.

Edit: Regarding the spoiler of young Talia, why would they need to shave her hair off anyway? Talia isn't supposed to be bald. If they really want her bald, then why not just use a bald cap or CGI her hair off? It isn't like they actually need to shave her.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 12-13-11 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-13-11, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Bruce ain't dying. I criticize Nolan quite a bit, but even that seems beneath him as it's not as very creative (or edifying) solution to the corner he's painted himself into.
The scene in the trailer with Gordon in the hospital bed talking to Bruce, who is offscreen, suggests to me that at that point in the film there is a logistical, not merely psychological, issue preventing Batman from performing- though I suppose it could be read the other way too.

However there is also a visual component that is telling for what it does and doesn't show- Gordon is being filmed at eye level if the person opposite him were seated. He seems to be conversing with Bruce (who isn't shown) and that to me seems a strong clue that Bruce is likely in a wheel chair at that point in the story. No need to kill the character when crippling him performs the same story function, but with the option of a more positive upbeat ending.

Of course it looks like I called all the Selina stuff wrong. Never expected Nolan to go with a cartoon catsuit, so I could be way off base with all this other stuff.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 12-13-11 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-13-11, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are easily 2 ways to get Batman back to good health:

Spoiler:
Lazarus Pit, or stem cells.
Old 12-13-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hero Complex: ‘Dark Knight Rises’: Christopher Nolan opens up about Bane choice

Lengthy article, but here's some of the better parts:

Spoiler:
The big question: Will Bruce Wayne still be wearing the mask and cape of Batman at the end of the film? In the pages of DC Comics, in the landmark 1993-94 arc called “Knightfall,” the brutal and canny Bane waited for the hero to be at his weakest point in body and spirit before delivering a (literally) crippling blow. In that story, Batman’s snapped spine left him looking for a replacement; that and the fact that the new film has “Rise” in the title has stirred plenty of speculation (not unlike Alan Moore’s “V for Vendetta” epic or Lee Falk’s classic mythology for “The Phantom”) that a next-generation newcomer might inherit Wayne’s mask and the mission.

The addition of “Inception” co-star Joseph Gordon-Levitt to the Gotham City cast as a young cop named John Blake certainly opens up some possible opportunities for a Batcave inheritance. N0lan is fine with all guessing games — again, it speaks to the fan passion — but don’t expect the cryptic filmmaker to offer any hints. He does say that he was searching for a story that would deliver a true finale and close out the trilogy in a powerful and definitive way. He also said that Bane will test the bone and muscle of Wayne with unprecedented savagery.

“With Bane, the physicality is the thing,” Nolan said. “With a good villain you need an archetype, you know, you need the extreme of some type of villainy. The Joker is obviously a particular archetype of diabolical, chaotic anarchy and has a devilish sense of humor. Bane, to me, is something we haven’t dealt with in the films. We wanted to do something very different in this film. He’s a primarily physical villain, he’s a classic movie monster in a way — but with a terrific brain. I think he’s a fascinating character. I think people are going to get a kick out of what we’ve done with him.”

As for moving the action ahead eight years, Nolan said that it was a way to give true gravity to the events that were portrayed at the end of “The Dark Knight,” when Batman essentially took the blame for the crimes of Harvey Dent and became a fugitive from justice instead of a tacitly approved vigilante.

“It will make a lot more sense to people when they see the film,” Nolan said of the leap forward. “But it’s not a great mystery — it’s the jumping-off point for the film — but it’s hard for me to articulate it. I think the mood at the beginning of the film will make a lot of sense. If I had to express it thematically, I think what we’re saying is that for Batman and Commissioner Gordon, there’s a big sacrifice, a big compromise, at the end of the ‘The Dark Knight’ and for that to mean something, that sacrifice has to work and Gotham has to get better in a sense. They have to achieve something for the ending of that film — and the feeling at the end of that film — to have validity. Their sacrifice has to have meaning and it takes time to establish that and to show that, and that’s the primary reason we did that. It’s a time period that is not so far ahead that we would have to do crazy makeup or anything — which I think would be distracting — but it gave them something to get their teeth into, particularly Christian in terms of [portraying] this guy who has been frozen in this moment in time with nowhere to go. He really has done an incredible job figuring out how to characterize that and express that.”

The true mystery is what Hollywood will make of Nolan — and vice versa — after he has truly left Gotham behind. Those are questions for another day but for the time being, the filmmaker seems pleased by the rare sensation of a sentimental journey: “It was pretty emotional as we would finish these characters and say goodbye to Alfred for the last time and say goodbye to Commissioner Gordon and eventually, with Christian, fairly close to the end, saying goodbye to Batman … it was a big deal,” Nolan said. “And with these newer characters too, finishing with Anne and all these guys. It was quite touching, I must say.”
Old 12-13-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Bruce ain't dying. I criticize Nolan quite a bit, but even that seems beneath him as it's not as very creative (or edifying) solution to the corner he's painted himself into.
The scene in the trailer with Gordon in the hospital bed talking to Bruce, who is offscreen, suggests to me that at that point in the film there is a logistical, not merely psychological, issue preventing Batman from performing- though I suppose it could be read the other way too.

However there is also a visual component that is telling for what it does and doesn't show- Gordon is being filmed at eye level if the person opposite him were seated. He seems to be conversing with Bruce (who isn't shown) and that to me seems a strong clue that Bruce is likely in a wheel chair at that point in the story. No need to kill the character when crippling him performs the same story function, but with the option of a more positive upbeat ending.

Of course it looks like I called all the Selina stuff wrong. Never expected Nolan to go with a cartoon catsuit, so I could be way off base with all this other stuff.
I agree with this theory, for the most part. I'm also guessing we'll get a scene near the end of the movie that "suggests" Bruce is working his way back to full strength.
Old 12-13-11, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
There are easily 2 ways to get Batman back to good health:

Spoiler:
Lazarus Pit, or stem cells.
God, please let it be the second. This would set all the christian nut jobs off.
Old 12-13-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
there is a logistical, not merely psychological, issue preventing Batman from performing
Old 12-13-11, 04:19 PM
Banned

All of this talk so far has been about how physically brutal Bane is, but there hasn't been any mention of his intellect. In the comics, Bane is a genius and the complete opposite of Schumacher's retarded Bane. Bane knew that Batman is Bruce Wayne in the comics, and in fact their epic battle took place in the Batcave where Bane ambushed him. I would love to see the Batcave brawl on the big screen.
Old 12-13-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ Actually, it took place in Wayne Manor above the Batcave, or started there at least.

The last shot of the first teaser is taken right out of the battle in question.
Old 12-13-11, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I would rather have

Spoiler:
Talia as a 20+ year old romantically involved with Bruce. Then maybe if Bruce does die, there could be an ending scene with pregnant Talia. The comic book readers will know that she is pregnant with Damian who eventually becomes Batman. It would be a neat easter egg.

Edit: Regarding the spoiler of young Talia, why would they need to shave her hair off anyway? Talia isn't supposed to be bald. If they really want her bald, then why not just use a bald cap or CGI her hair off? It isn't like they actually need to shave her.
your preference kind of goes into that fan fiction type a bit too much for my taste. It'd also be a cliche element w/ that last...the "neat ee"

Disregard whatever supposedly is supposed to be. It's an adaptation. Changes happen in adaptations. While the element of YT is odd if true...I'd have no predetermined criticism of it because...I don't know what it's context in story is.
Old 12-13-11, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
^ Actually, it took place in Wayne Manor above the Batcave, or started there at least.

The last shot of the first teaser is taken right out of the battle in question.
It started in the manor when Bruce is coming up the stairs out of the cave he finds Alfred unconscious on the floor, and then Bane appears and throws him back down the stairs. Then the fighting is in the cave.

The teaser showed them fighting in the cave? All I remember is the fight in front of the court house.
Old 12-13-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The shot from the teaser is a sewer, not the Batcave. It's the same location as this shot:

Old 12-13-11, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gorgeous...
Old 12-13-11, 09:07 PM

That prologue will be leaked in iPhone form any time now, considering it's now 10PM EST so people are watching right now.

That plus a trailer is supposed to be out Friday, so we're in for a lot of official non-paparazzi material to see in a better context now.
Old 12-13-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
"Are you not entertained, Batman?!!"
Old 12-13-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question for anyone else who saw the prologue;

Spoiler:
Anybody else have a really difficult time understanding what Bane was saying?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.