DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Downey disses the Dark Knight (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538430-downey-disses-dark-knight.html)

Mr. Cinema 08-27-08 07:25 PM

Robert Downey Jr. has alot of nerve criticizing IMDB's #3 ranked best movie of all time.

NoirFan 08-27-08 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 8900177)
Robert Downey Jr. has alot of nerve criticizing IMDB's #3 ranked best movie of all time.

How dare someone make disparaging remarks about a film with a high IMDB ranking? The audacity! Since when did IMDB's ranking carry the weight of Cahiers or Sight and Sound? Empire is ranked # 9, and I'm sure it's had quite a few detractors over the years. Besides, it seems pretty obvious that Downey's comments were made with tongue firmly in cheek.

Supermallet 08-27-08 09:51 PM

Probably not as tongue in cheek as the post you're quoting. :)

And I agree with those who say the ending of the film needs to happen the way it does. Having Batman take the blame satisfies a lot of different elements at once. It allows Harvey, in death, to maintain the reputation he had made in life, which will keep people hoping in the city. It also makes sure that his court cases don't get overturned. It makes criminals afraid of Batman again, something that he had lost in the face of the Joker. If they think he's willing to kill corrupt COPS, think about how the criminals will feel when they face him. And it allows Batman to make a decision about his own fate, instead of letting circumstance catch up to him. Remember, The Joker tells him that when the people of Gotham no longer need him, they will cast him out. By doing this, Batman takes his destiny into his own hands, making sure that he controls how he is viewed.

iamiam 08-28-08 06:43 PM

Even when someone is joking, there's always an element of truth somewhere.

Ronnie Dobbs 08-28-08 07:02 PM

I think he's joking. He's just happy to still have a career after the trainwreck his life use to be. Either way I guess I really don't care.

Xander 08-29-08 10:55 AM

I think he's joking too.

Brack 08-29-08 11:28 AM

he hates my freedom.

RUSF18 08-30-08 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by iamiam (Post 8902374)
Even when someone is joking, there's always an element of truth somewhere.

What about that Bavarian cream pie joke I told you? There's no truth to that. Nobody with a terminal illness goes from the United States to Europe for a piece of Bavarian cream pie and then when they get there and they don't have it he says "Ah, I'll just have some coffee."

Brack 08-30-08 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Terps54423 (Post 8906716)
What about that Bavarian cream pie joke I told you? There's no truth to that. Nobody with a terminal illness goes from the United States to Europe for a piece of Bavarian cream pie and then when they get there and they don't have it he says "Ah, I'll just have some coffee."

True.

Cornelius1047 08-31-08 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Terps54423 (Post 8906716)

Stop reading my uncle's journal, jerk.

K