DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Downey disses the Dark Knight (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538430-downey-disses-dark-knight.html)

PopcornTreeCt 08-25-08 05:57 PM

Downey disses the Dark Knight

Originally Posted by Robert Downey Jr.
"My whole thing is that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so [expletive] smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? [Expletive] DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

That's from an interview with moviehole.net. He seems kinda angry.

superdeluxe 08-25-08 05:58 PM

LOL love it.

I like stars that speak their mind.

islandclaws 08-25-08 06:01 PM

Robert Downey Jr. posts here? Badass.

;)

RichC2 08-25-08 06:05 PM

Thought this was already discussed a week or so ago, can't find the thread though.

NoirFan 08-25-08 06:06 PM

He didn't "understand" The Dark Knight? We're not talking The Seventh Seal or 2001 here.

OldBoy 08-25-08 06:10 PM

i don't get why he wears a mask and cape? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0Gifs/BMBW.gif

dhmac 08-25-08 06:27 PM

"...in the end they need him to be a bad guy."
I agree with him on this point...
Spoiler:

I mean why blame Harvey Dent's murders on Batman when they could just blame them on the Joker and his gang?

Deftones 08-25-08 06:28 PM

this is old news. i read this weeks ago when The Dark Knight first came out.

Greg MacGuffin 08-25-08 06:36 PM

It sounds like he's kidding. I'm sure that won't stop sweaty fanboys from burning him in effigy, but I honestly doubt he would get that worked up over the Dark Knight.

Groucho 08-25-08 06:40 PM

Anything that causes fanboys to see red is okay in my book. :thumbsup:

The Infidel 08-25-08 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 8895628)
Spoiler:

I mean why blame Harvey Dent's murders on Batman when they could just blame them on the Joker and his gang?

I wondered that same thing the very second the movie was over with.

FantasticVSDoom 08-25-08 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 8895655)
Anything that causes fanboys to see red is okay in my book. :thumbsup:

That's it!!!!! No Iron Man 2 for me!!!! :mad:

iamiam 08-25-08 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Downey Jr. (Post 8895561)
"My whole thing is that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so [expletive] smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? [Expletive] DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 8895628)
Spoiler:

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 8895741)
I wondered that same thing the very second the movie was over with.

+3

Last 15-20 minutes dragged the movie down with unnecesary complication for me as well.

tanman 08-25-08 09:32 PM

He's just jealous that his movie wasn't number 1.

The Infidel 08-25-08 09:35 PM

For me, Iron Man just has that whole Ozzy/Sabbath stigma to go with it. I can't even think of the words "Iron Man" without hearing Beavis and Butt-head going "Duuuuuuh duuuuuuh Duh-duh-duh!"

B5Erik 08-25-08 09:54 PM

Well, I'm one of those people who found Iron Man to be much more entertaining than The Dark Knight.

I've gone over the issues I had with the script and the length of the movie ad nauseum, so I won't do it again (but add me in as one more person who didn't think the Batman/Badguy ending was necessary or smart).

Hokeyboy 08-25-08 09:57 PM

Did people forget that
Spoiler:
The Joker was already in police custody when Harvey Dent committed all of his murders?
Considering Batman was already a questionable vigilante, any kind of frame-up would have been even more farfetched.

Regardless, as a film it blows IRON MAN outta the water. And I really, really liked IRON MAN.

Regarding Downey Jr:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...artie_wahh.jpg

Jon2 08-25-08 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by iamiam (Post 8895900)
+3

Last 15-20 minutes dragged the movie down with unnecesary complication for me as well.

Make that 4.

Cornelius1047 08-25-08 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser (Post 8895963)
Did people forget that
Spoiler:
The Joker was already in police custody when Harvey Dent committed all of his murders?
Considering Batman was already a questionable vigilante, any kind of frame-up would have been even more farfetched.

Regardless, as a film it blows IRON MAN outta the water. And I really, really liked IRON MAN.

I agree. Besides, the themes and situations that play out in the last 10 minutes give meaning to the very title of the movie. It goes from being a badass title based on Batman mythology to a completely fitting one, given the circumstance.

K

freshticles 08-25-08 10:18 PM

This just makes me love Robert Downey Jr more.

Boba Fett 08-25-08 10:20 PM

"Pump ya brakes Downey."

riotinmyskull 08-26-08 05:36 AM

why did batman take the blame? easy, it's because framing the joker to take the blame for harvey's kills would make gordon and batman just as corrupt as the villians they are trying to stop. however placing the blame on batman isn't nearly as bad because they will never be able to prove that batman did infact kill those people because he didn't actually do it and his true identity will probably never be revealed to the general public so he will never be caught.

Giantrobo 08-26-08 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 8896017)
"Pump ya brakes Downey."

rotfl

Supermallet 08-26-08 07:20 AM

I've seen this quote before, and I can't remember if someone here posted this in response, or if I said it to a friend, but I like it, so I'm repeating it:

He's just mad because The Dark Knight topped Iron Man's total gross in, what, a week and a half?

starman9000 08-26-08 07:24 AM

It sounds like he is joking to me. I really can't imagine RDJ caring enough to say "#$(*% DC Comics!" (not that I know him or anything)