Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you liked more with 2nd chance?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you liked more with 2nd chance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo Story, definitely. I thought it was boring at first and that nothing happened, but when I watched it I really grew to appreciate it.
Old 08-26-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No Country For Old Men.

Was half paying attention the first time, so didn't really get most of it. Watched it a second time and loved it.
Old 08-26-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
I think pretty much any Kubrick film gets better with second viewing, even if you really like it on first viewing. Probably the Kubrick film that benefited the most from a second viewing would be Eyes Wide Shut. I didn't hate it after seeing it in the theaters, but I was pretty underwhelmed. I appreciated it much more the second time through.
Old 08-26-08, 04:18 PM
Banned

I definitely agree with Ocean's 12. Went from being my least favorite of t he trilogy to what I think might actually the best and most watchable for the 3 films.
Also 2001. I hated it the first time I saw it. Found to it be pretentious and boring the second time but i got the Kubrick box set last year and gave it a third chance and really enjoyed it.
Also Pirates or the Caribbean: at World's End was better with the second viewing.
Old 08-26-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Senor Javi
Tokyo Story, definitely. I thought it was boring at first and that nothing happened, but when I watched it I really grew to appreciate it.
What did you think of Ozu's other films?
Old 08-26-08, 10:50 PM

I can certainly agree with about anything Kubrick, but especially 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut.

Also, the first time I saw The Big Lebowski I wasn't too impressed by it, but now consider it one of my favorite comedies ever.
Old 08-26-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Identity - I thought it was OK but seriously flawed the first time, but couldn't pick out the, "Flaws," the 2nd time a couple years later and really enjoyed it.
Old 08-26-08, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
What did you think of Ozu's other films?
I loved Floating Weeds. I actually think that it's one of the best movies of all time. Late Spring I also thought was good, but didn't stick with me too much. The original A Story of Floating Weeds was decent too, but completely overshadowed by the remake.
Old 08-27-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alien 3
Old 08-27-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I want to add The Mechanic to this list. I watched it a couple years ago, when I was on a Bronson-kicking-ass kick, and it kind of bored me. I recently rewatched it after hearing so many people name it as one of their favorite Bronson flicks and I have to agree. It is an awesome film with a slow building plot and great tension.
Old 08-27-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Brazil - Thought it was pretentious and goofy the first time I saw it in the 80's. Now that I have the Criterion set it's one of my favorite films.
Old 08-28-08, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcfly
No Country For Old Men.

Was half paying attention the first time, so didn't really get most of it. Watched it a second time and loved it.

That's really weird that you said that cause that's what I was going to say too. I was disappointed with No Country for Old Men the first time I watched it. I almost was about to take it to the DVD exchange and sell it. But then I watched it a second time and it is probably one of my top 30 favorite movies of all-time. I love it. And the villain is maybe the scariest and most intimidating human being I've seen on screen.

[EDIT:]

...that being said, the ending of No Country For Old Men still sucks. Everything else is perfect though.

Last edited by Johnny Boy; 08-28-08 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-28-08, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnny Boy

[EDIT:]

...that being said, the ending of No Country For Old Men still sucks. Everything else is perfect though.

The ending is perhaps what'll make the film a classic oneday.

Anyways, mine are Big Fish and Mann's Miami Vice.
Old 08-29-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Lost in Translation. When I saw it in the theater I was a bit bored, and in fact, when it was over, I hopped a couple of screens over to watch the last 20 minutes of Kill Bill Vol. 1. After it came out on DVD I showed it to my wife because it seemed like the kind of thing she'd be into, and I loved it.
Old 08-29-08, 11:16 AM

V for Vendetta. I think when I first watched it I was expecting more out of it due to the hype and left feeling disappointed. Years later during a 2nd viewing, I found I enjoyed it.
Old 08-29-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
The first Austin Powers for me. Some friends recommended it so we went. I thought it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen in the theater (and I saw Super Mario Brothers in the theater).

But rented the DVD when it came out and it fast became one of my favorites. I think the sequels went downhill with moments of brilliance, but I'll always love the first one.
Old 08-29-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Peter Jackson's King Kong - felt too long in the theater but I've enjoyed it quite a bit at home.

Transformers (2007) - went from not liking it at all to thinking it's decent