Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lunar Park (2009)

Old 08-21-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunar Park (2009)

Based on Bret Easton Ellis's novel/memoir. IMDB synopsis:
Bret Ellis is a writer whose first novel Less Than Zero catapulted him to international stardom while he was still in college. In the years that followed, he found himself adrift in a world of wealth, drugs, and fame, as well as dealing with the death of his abusive father. After a decade of decadence, a chance for salvation arrives; the chance to reconnect with an actress he was once involved with, and their son. But almost immediately his new life is threatened by a freak sequence of events and a bizarre series of murders that all seem to connect to Ellis' past. Reality, memoir, and fantasy combine to create not only a fascinating version of this most controversial writer but also a deeply moving story about love and loss, parents and children, and ultimately forgiveness.
No official director as of yet, although according to this article, David Slade will direct.
ARTCOTIC: "You have mentioned that you have a few new film projects in the works this year. Can you give us a few hints of what to expect next from you?"

SLADE:.... I am attached to direct an adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis' book Lunar Park....
I'm a big Easton Ellis fan, although I haven't read this one. Can anyone comment on it? Sounds like a somewhat difficult book to adapt for the screen.
Old 08-22-08, 12:20 AM
Banned

I dont know how they will do this but I can't wait....
Im also a big ellis fan and cant wait for the Informers.
Old 08-22-08, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't wait for this, one of my favorites from him. My absolute favorite is Glamorama, and that's being made by Roger Avery, the guy who did the excellent adaptation of Bret's Rules of Attraction.
Old 08-22-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That reminds me, I started listening to an audio version of this on a long car trip to Florida - it was narrated by James Vanderbeek. I've been wanting to pick up the book and finish it up.

Should be interesting to see how they adapt this for a film.
Old 08-22-08, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus View Post
Can't wait for this, one of my favorites from him. My absolute favorite is Glamorama, and that's being made by Roger Avery, the guy who did the excellent adaptation of Bret's Rules of Attraction.
Whatever happened to Avery. Didnt he get charged with drunk driving and manslaughter last year.
Old 08-22-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Avary is currently not in jail, that's all I know as far as that case goes.

He is prepping Wolfenstein the movie now. Don't think he's done with the script yet. He has a website avary.com. He posts on the message board there quite often. Not many people there so it's pretty likely he'll respond to any question you have, but who knows how much he can say on any of his projects.

I really can't wait to see what he does with Glamorama.

As for Lunar Park, no idea how they can approach that. It'll be weird not seeing Easton Ellis but someone portraying him.
Old 08-22-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hestitate to think how Lunar Park will be adapted to the big screen.
Old 08-22-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drop View Post
I really can't wait to see what he does with Glamorama.
Same here. Wow, did that book take a different turn halfway through!