Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle, 2008)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle, 2008)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle, 2008)

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I never said Slumdog was a bollywood film. I clearly know that Boyle is not Indian. Or working in the Bollywood system. I just said...that I thought most of those films were crap. To further add on, yes I've seen Salaam Bombay among others. I just have seen little good product therefore my quick poke about a lot of their films being crap..cuz they have a shit system for copyright laws and whatnot.
sorry, I was just directing the "slumdog not being a bollywood film" comment to everyone. To you, I just wanted to let you know that there are very few good bollywood films (at least less than 10)...haha...When I grade Bollywood films, I also have to grade with a curve...
Old 02-01-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://in.news.yahoo.com/43/20090126...ionaire_1.html

Protests against 'Slumdog Millionaire' continue in Bihar capital
Mon, Jan 26 01:05 PM

Patna, Jan 26 (IANS) Slum dwellers in Bihar's capital continued to protest Monday against Oscar-nominated film 'Slumdog Millionaire', demanding the film's makers remove the word dog from the title.

The protesters said their sensibilities had been offended by the title, which they said was abusive of people who live in slums. The protests continued for the second day, even as Republic Day was being celebrated.

A group of slum dwellers protested against the showing of the film at Ashok cinema hall Sunday, while some protesters tore down posters and banners of the film.

The Jhuggi Jhonpdi Sanyukta Sangharsh Samiti (a group promoting the rights of slum dwellers) threatened to burn the film's director Danny Boyle in effigy.

'We will burn Danny Boyle in effigy in 56 slums here,' Tapeshwar Vishwakarma, general secretary of the group said.

Kishori Das, another activist, said slum dwellers will continue to protest till the film's director deletes the word dog from the title. 'We are in touch with like-minded organisations across India to take the issue on a large scale to put pressure,' Das said.

Vishwakarma filed a petition in the court of the chief judicial magistrate last Tuesday, charging the movie's music director A.R. Rahman, actor Anil Kapoor and other Indians associated with the film with abusing slum dwellers in the name of entertainment just to earn money and fame.

'Vishwakarma requested the court to protect the honour and respect of millions of slum dwellers across India,' his lawyer Shruti Singh said.

The first hearing of the petition is scheduled Feb 5.

A copy of the petition has been sent to the National Human Rights Commission, Bihar State Human Rights Commission and the Central Board of Film Certification.
Old 02-01-09, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I the only one that finds this funny considering that SLUM dwellers are capable of suing?
Old 02-01-09, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe these people are bothering to sue instead of just boycotting the film. There is no chance, no chance, NO CHANCE in the world that they're gonna get the title changed.
Old 02-03-09, 08:07 PM

FYI, Dev Patel is on the Daily Show tonight.
Old 02-03-09, 09:58 PM

Irony is dead. Long live irony!
Old 02-04-09, 08:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

not sure if i've commented here, but this was a terrific film. storytelling at its best. wonderful performances all around and just about perfectly done.

1 question...with seemingly such limited schooling, how did the 3 kids know English so well?
Old 02-04-09, 11:38 AM
Banned

well it wasn't all that hot in the beginning with their English but....by the end they're pretty fluent.
Old 02-04-09, 11:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The main guy was played by a Brit, so that probably helped him out a bit.
Old 02-09-09, 01:51 PM

I FINALLY watched it last night in a half empty theater. I guess we were the minority of people who have yet to watch it since the buzz started about this movie.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I DIDN'T think it was that great of a picture. Yes, I thought it was good and I enjoyed it but I didn't find myself captured by any of the characters. I didn't care what happened to them and I found the whole "destiny" angle rather annoying. As a result, the parts that were supposed to be suspenseful fell rather flat for me.

The main character, Jamal, also looked constipated throughout the entire time he was sitting on the hotseat. He should have taken a pre-game dump. Taking one half way through the show is already too late.
Old 02-09-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I absolutely loved this movie. Such a refreshing alternative to the typical movies Hollywood puts out who's purpose it is to try and win an Oscar.

I think some people either don't get it or they don't want to get it. Some of the criticisms I have heard sometimes make no sense. Some talk about his brother as his friend. If you didn't even know that was his brother, did you even pay attention? And if you didn't know, I think you missed half the point of the entire movie. Some talk about the fact that the ending was so easy to see coming. There were only 2 ways the ending could go. he either wins or he doesn't.

Spoiler:
To me, if he DOESN'T win the money, the movie becomes far too cliche. oh, he didn't win but he did get the girl, so everything is okay. FAIL. The fact that he did win but he didn't care was what made it what it was. He could have walked off with no money but he still got what he wanted. Instead of doing the cliche thing, they did the right thing. Every person in India was captivated by this slumdog winning the money. they had no clue why he was really there. him winning captured a nation but it was secondary to him. him losing would have changed the entire movie.

Someone mentioned no other "hot chicks"
Spoiler:
I thought his mom was quite good looking although I would have to pay more attention when i see it again. Also, how many women did we really see in this movie? Some of the girls at the mob guys palace who were dancing were pretty good looking.

As for the orphans
Spoiler:
I work for an Indian company so I know a little about the culture, but am learning a lot every day. From what I am told, all of what was shown really does go on. From the prostitution to the burning of the eyes so they make more money. And while a lot of people may find it unbelievable, we come from a developed society so it is hard to imagine. Law enforcement isn't the same as it is here. There is corruption to deal with as well. Plenty of police are paid off to look the other way.

The movie was near perfect to me. It's 2 hour length felt like 20 minutes. I could have sat there for another 2 hours without even thinking about it. The plot was interesting without being confusing. Some scenes made you laugh and others broke your heart.

Whoever said this was similar to Sideways/Juno/Little Miss Sunshine wasn't watching the same movie I was. I know you didn't mean similar in style, but to say that this movie was put together into some formula to win an Oscar is absurd to me.

If anyone was ever trying to put together a formula to win an Oscar they would never rely so heavily on Indian actors and India as a setting, marketed to a country who knows so little about India and it's cultures. To me someone fell in love with this script and decided to make a movie in spite of knowing the public may not connect with a project like this. What happened was that they made a beautiful movie that people loved in spite of what it had going against it. When you can succeed at doing something like that, you deserve the accolades you are getting.

I still have a couple of other Oscar nominees to get through but I think it will be hard to top for me.

I can't wait to watch this movie a second time.

I give Slumdog an easy A.
Old 02-09-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I don't get the hate for the destiny angle. The kid went through hell trying to fulfill what he believed was his destiny. Didn't think it was mentioned a ridiculous number of times either.

But ah well, to each their own.
Old 02-09-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't get the hate for the destiny angle. The kid went through hell trying to fulfill what he believed was his destiny. Didn't think it was mentioned a ridiculous number of times either.

And the fact that his belief in this destiny was all he really had from the time he was a child.

Spoiler:
If he was a rich kid, I could understand the hate. But when you are poor, you watch your mother get killed, you barely escape being killed multiple times, live on a garbage pile, and you are an orphan, maybe believing in this destiny is valid. It is what keeps him going, mentally, throughout his life, including throughout his stint on the game show and throughout the interrogation. It also represents the antithesis of what his brother is...someone who constantly makes the wrong choices in life.
Old 02-09-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

I think a lot has to do with a lack of understanding about cultural and societal differences, an inability to acknowledge them, and a reluctance to learn about them.
Old 02-09-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I caught this last night and really enjoyed it. I've seen my share of Bollywood films, and I know this isn't the same, but the nods were definitely there.

Of all the nominations this year, I hope this snags the most awards then. I really liked it.
Old 02-09-09, 10:04 PM

how did he end up on 'millionaire'? did they ever explain it?
Old 02-09-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I assume he got on because he knew exactly when to call in, which they showed in that scene where he takes over that guys desk for a minute, then calls his brother. Also, it was written.
Old 02-09-09, 10:15 PM

kid actors were great
Old 02-13-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't read any of this thread (the only reason being in general I don't want to know nothing about a movie before I watch it,) but I thought I'd just chime in and say that this movie was amazing. I didn't really have any specific expectations of this movie and I was pretty blown away. The more I think about the movie, the more I love it.

One of my best friends is from India and she went to the movie with me and was able to provide some unique insight into the movie that I wouldn't have known otherwise. That information wasn't key to the movie or the plot, but it did definitely help in the "experience" of the movie.

The structure was perfect and, my god, the soundtrack just blew me away. Unbelievable soundtrack. Danny Boyle, you rock!
Old 02-14-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Numes
One of my best friends is from India and she went to the movie with me and was able to provide some unique insight into the movie that I wouldn't have known otherwise. That information wasn't key to the movie or the plot, but it did definitely help in the "experience" of the movie.
What kind of things?
I've been to Pakistan and I know the parts about crippling kids to make them beg is a reality.

The only thing that took me out of the movie was Jamal's older brother sounding like he has a south african accent.
Old 02-14-09, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Numes
The structure was perfect and, my god, the soundtrack just blew me away. Unbelievable soundtrack. Danny Boyle, you rock!
Yes, definitely -- I actually walked out of the theatre and right across the mall and bought the soundtrack, I enjoyed the music so much. "Jai Ho" a wonderful way to end it.
Old 02-14-09, 01:37 AM
Banned

the one thing that surprised me, besides being so great, was that it was so positive. It literally made my day and I was happy for the rest of it.
Old 02-14-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fmian
What kind of things?
I've been to Pakistan and I know the parts about crippling kids to make them beg is a reality.
These aren't profound, but they were all questions I had during or after the movie. Some of these aren't really spoilers, but I'm just going to spoiler tag everything.
Spoiler:
1. Some of the slang that they don't subtitle, like the equivalent for "fucker" and I think she said that they also use the equivalent of "sister fucker" as someone in the U.S., or elsewhere, would say "motherfucker."
2. When the host keeps saying "computer g," the g (I'm sure it's not just the letter g) is like saying "sir." In this case, "computer g" would be kind of like saying Mr. Computer.
3. The famous actor that Jamal gets the autograph from is actually one of Bollywood's most famous actor's. I figured he was, but I didn't know.
4. The actor who plays Jamal's last name is Patel. Patel is one of the most common last names in one of the "states" in India, but in general Patels don't go into acting. I tried to have her make an equivalent connection to something in North America, but she couldn't.
5. The actor who plays the host of "Who wants to be a Millionaire" is also one of Bollywood's famous actors.
6. She explained that "bahi" (I think that's right) is "brother" and it is a very common way to address men in India.
Old 02-16-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
the one thing that surprised me, besides being so great, was that it was so positive. It literally made my day and I was happy for the rest of it.
Seriously? Two hours of abject poverty, exploitation, stealing, beatings, torture, murder, and rape and you felt this was such a positive movie that left you with a smile on your face? I know it had a happy ending, but come on.
Old 02-16-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apart from the scenes on the show, it felt like I was watching an Indian version of City of God.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.