Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

POLTERGEIST Remake - Why?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

POLTERGEIST Remake - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: POLTERGEIST Remake - Why?

Hell yeah! I can't wait to not see this!
Old 08-14-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's hope there is no curse this time.
Old 04-27-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Sam Raimi to Produce Poltergeist Remake

Following rumors earlier today that he might direct the project, The Hollywood Reporter has now confirmed that Sam Raimi has, indeed, boarded MGM's upcoming remake of Poltergeist, but is doing so in a producer-only capacity alongide Nathan Kahane and Roy Lee.

The original film was directed by Tobe Hooper and released in 1982 with Steven Spielberg producing and told the story of a malevolent spectral force that tries to take daughter of a Californian family. It spawned two sequels, Poltergeist II: The Other Side in 1986 and Poltergeist III in 1988.

Raimi, who directed The Evil Dead one year before the first Poltergeist was released, is also known today for, among many other films, his Spider-Man trilogy and, most recently, for Drag Me to Hell. He's currently in post-production on Oz the Great and Powerful.

No director is currently attached to Poltergeist, but check back for updates as they become available.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=89703
Old 04-27-12, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. Also...amazingly enough..saw this for the 1st time cully like....8 months ago...for PG-13..still gets ya chills. Great direction by Spielberg.
Old 04-27-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Poltergeist is PG. The PG-13 rating wasn't introduced until 1984.
Old 04-27-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,219 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Great direction by Spielberg.
Careful about opening up that can of worms, my friend...

I'd actually be down for a remake. Sam Raimi wouldn't be my go to guy but if all he's doing is producing I guess I'm alright with that. He seems to have learned from Drag Me to Hell that atmosphere is scarier than cgi. Hopefully he makes sure his director knows that.
Old 04-27-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great direction by Spielberg.
You. Went. There.
Old 04-27-12, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Are people still under the impression that Spielberg didn't direct "Poltergeist?"
Old 04-27-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Are people still under the impression that Spielberg didn't direct "Poltergeist?"
A Tobe Hooper film.

Check out Wikipedia, IMDB, Spielberg's filmography, etc...

He didn't direct it.
Old 04-27-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

If you check out Wiki... here are a few snippets

A clause in his contract with Universal Studios prevented Spielberg from directing any other film while preparing E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. Time and Newsweek tagged the summer of 1982 "The Spielberg Summer" because E.T. and Poltergeist were released a week apart in June. As such a marketable name, some began to question Spielberg's role during production.

The Directors Guild of America "opened an investigation into the question of whether or not Hooper's official credit was being denigrated by statements Spielberg has made, apparently claiming authorship."

Several members of the Poltergeist cast and crew have over the years consistently alleged that Spielberg was the 'de facto director' of the picture, while other actors have claimed Hooper directed the film. In a 2007 interview with Ain't It Cool News, Rubinstein discussed her recollections of the shooting process. She said that "Steven directed all six days" that she was on set: "Tobe set up the shots and Steven made the adjustments." She also alleged that Hooper "allowed some unacceptable chemical agents into his work," and at her interview felt that time "Tobe was only partially there."
Regardless, though, the movie looks like classic Spielberg.
Old 04-27-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No. Also...amazingly enough..saw this for the 1st time cully like....8 months ago...for PG-13..still gets ya chills. Great direction by Spielberg.
Old 04-28-12, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay....Hooper was coked out of his gourd. SS gets the credit for Poltergeist.

Still... the original TCM is better than anything Spielberg has ever directed.

Last edited by JumpCutz; 04-28-12 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-28-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spielberg's directorial style is all over Poltergeist.

And yes, if there were a PG-13 rating in 1982, this film should have gotten it. It believe it was rated R at first, but it was changed to PG on appeal. Several Spielberg-related films pushed the boundaries of PG around this time.

I saw it opening weekend in 1982. It may seem tame today, but I assure you lots of people were shrieking like little kids at all the right moments (including me, age 17). One teenage audience member even bolted from the screening room during the scene in the bathroom. (If you've seen the movie, you know the one I'm talking about).
Old 04-28-12, 11:36 AM
Banned

Damn. forgot it was PG. Pushes the fuck out of that one for sure.
Old 04-28-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'd actually be down for a remake. Sam Raimi wouldn't be my go to guy but if all he's doing is producing I guess I'm alright with that. He seems to have learned from Drag Me to Hell that atmosphere is scarier than cgi. Hopefully he makes sure his director knows that.
Did he learn that afterward? Because DMTH, while good, is replete with piss-poor CGI moments.
Old 04-28-12, 12:26 PM
Banned

Yeah. Had weak CGI in there. Very good and thought out moments...that were good..but would've been better if it..you know...LOOKED better.
Old 04-28-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,219 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Did he learn that afterward? Because DMTH, while good, is replete with piss-poor CGI moments.
I'll have to go back and re-watch it. I seem to remember being impressed with Raimi creating a creepy atmosphere and letting the audience use their imagination rather than showing us everything on screen. Maybe I'm remembering another movie.
Old 04-28-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's actually what frustrated me with DMTH so much. He did create a wonderful atmosphere, with a fantastic sound design to maintain suspense, but the few moments where a gross-out FX gag would've looked killer back in 1987 are now done with very poorly-rendered CGI, like when the anvil falls on the old woman's head. And the final scene. Otherwise, I loved it.
Old 04-28-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, it's weird that even as dated as Poltergeist's effects are, they're still more effective than most of the CGI that's put out today.

Hoping for something special on this, but fully expecting some teal & orange bombastic computer fest.
Old 10-18-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Sam Raimi's name comes up again

Say What: Sam Raimi Might Direct ‘Poltergeist’ Remake?

File this news in the folder titled: “WTF?”

And not the bad version of WTF, I’m talking the so-good-it-hurts version of WTF – wherein you might spontaneously combust the news is so hot.

30 years after Spielberg directed (let’s face it, cat’s outta the bag on this one — sorry Tobe Hooper) one of the best haunted house movies ever, it looks the remake of Poltergeist is getting a one-two serving of extra talent.

First, David Lindsay-Abaire (Pulitzer Prize winning playwright of Rabbit Hole) is writing the screenplay.

Now Lindsay-Abaire has admitted, during an interview after the debut screening of his newest film Rise of the Guardians, that a famous horror maestro will direct his Poltergeist script:

Sam Raimi.

Wow!

This information hasn’t been confirmed, and although Raimi is already attached to the project as a producer, things can definitely change from here until production.

But if it’s coming from Lindsay-Abaire’s mouth, then it’s probably credible.

Can’t wait!

Source
Old 10-18-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Raimi directing does nothing to change my feelings on this matter.
Old 10-18-12, 10:09 AM
Banned

Yeah. Poltergeist is pretty solid.

I don't mind Evil Dead (the remake) cuz of the tone they're taking w/ it. Poltergeist already had a solid tone that I don't think you can add onto it aside from some effects.
Old 10-18-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Even if Sam Raimi is listed as the director, we all know that Steven Spielberg is going to be the real director.
Old 10-18-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Debunked.

Raimi isn't directing.
Old 03-07-13, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There has been speculation about MGM’s remake of Poltergeist for a long time now. It reached a height when Sam Raimi was announced as a producer, and once we thought there was a chance he would direct. But now MGM has announced the studio’s choice for director: Gil Kenan, who directed the animated film Monster House and the YA adaptation City of Ember.

Deadline has the news. It’s kind of a surprising choice, because Kenan hasn’t been the most high-profile director. But – setting aside a general notion that a Poltergeist remake is a pointless and/or horrible idea — it makes sense. Monster House had many elements similar to Poltergeist, framed in a film for kids. And City of Ember, while saddled with some limitations, had great world-building elements. Let’s assume for a moment that this remake won’t also be skewed towards kids.

That said, we don’t know much at this point about what MGM plans for the film. Last year screenwriter David Lindsay-Abaire said,

"Well, you know there’s not too much I can say. I will say that I handed in a second draft and people are incredibly excited about it. They’re not the director, but they’re in search of a director. I will also say that there are very few people who are as obsessed with the original movie as I am, so I would try to write a script that I would want to see as a fan. I will say that."

Presumably Lindsay-Abaire’s script is still in play, but Deadline doesn’t mention either way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.