Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

One critic begs and pleads for George Lucas to PLEASE stop already ...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

One critic begs and pleads for George Lucas to PLEASE stop already ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 01:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
I think the original versions would look terrible on Bluray.

Okay, and what you think doesn't mean jackshit.

George Lucas, for once, should at least listen to the consumer, and his numerous fans, and at least give us the fucking option. The last release was an abortion and the sales reflect that.
Old 08-17-08, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RTisBetter
Okay, and what you think doesn't mean jackshit.

George Lucas, for once, should at least listen to the consumer, and his numerous fans, and at least give us the fucking option. The last release was an abortion and the sales reflect that.
And what you think about George Lucas or me doesn't mean jacksh*t.

You don't like my opinion, too bad. I'll state it if I want. If you're going to bash me for my opinion, at least just give a good valid arguement instead of being an ass and saying "Okay, and what you think doesn't mean jackshit."

Last edited by Jedi Master 33; 08-17-08 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-17-08, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Look, I'm citing my source -- "The Secret History of Star Wars", Chapter 7 "Wreckage" -- which includes quotes from Kershner and Kurtz at the time. And note that I never said Lucas was on set -- he was in California, not supervising the effects but planning Skywalker Ranch, which he intended to build with the profits of "Empire". But being on the other side of the world didn't preclude him from insisting that Kurtz make Kershner work faster and cheaper, and getting upset when that didn't happen. And once the shooting finished and Kershner and Kurtz returned to the US to cut the film, he was able to take greater control, and on one occasion completely lost it with them.

She participated in story meetings with Lucas before doing her draft -- and, more importantly, Lucas was developing his treatment at the same time as these meetings with Brackett. Even Bouzereau's officially sanctioned "Annotated Screenplays" states that Yoda was first developed during these meetings. So regardless of how much of her script made it to screen, she contributed to the development of the movie.

I've read books on the making of this movie or that, and I've noticed that the stories change over the years. For example, I've read 3 different versions of how the scene with the swordsman in Raiders came about. So I don't pay much attention to these books anymore.

In any case, you're missing the point. Star Wars and Indiana Jones are, and always will be, my favorite film series. And George Lucas INVENTED all of it. He made it all possible. He can do whatever he wants for the rest of his life. He's got my respect for what he did in his youth (which is when most people do their best work).
Old 08-17-08, 02:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RD1973
In any case, you're missing the point. Star Wars and Indiana Jones are, and always will be, my favorite film series. And George Lucas INVENTED all of it.

Funny, I always thought Akira Kurosawa, Old Republic serials, J.R.R. Tolkien and WWII dogwar footage existed long before George Lucas blessed us with his completely brand-new inventions.
Old 08-17-08, 03:00 AM

Funny, I always thought Akira Kurosawa, Old Republic serials, J.R.R. Tolkien and WWII dogwar footage existed long before George Lucas blessed us with his completely brand-new inventions.
I'm referring specifically to Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Yoda, the Death Star, Imperial Walkers, X-Wings, lightsabers, etc. The guy came up with ALOT of cool stuff. But of course everyone ignores that or gives the credit to someone else. Bottom line: No Lucas = No Star Wars and No Indy.
Old 08-17-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
I think the original versions would look terrible on Bluray.
Why would you think that? The OT was shot on 35mm and released to theaters on much bigger screens than most TVs and in better detail than HD. I don't think many people thought it looked "terrible" back in '77. Hell, they even made 70mm prints of the films.

There's no reason why the original versions of Star Wars should look any more "terrible" on Blu-Ray than, say, Jaws.
Old 08-17-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm referring specifically to Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Yoda, the Death Star, Imperial Walkers, X-Wings, lightsabers, etc. The guy came up with ALOT of cool stuff. But of course everyone ignores that or gives the credit to someone else. Bottom line: No Lucas = No Star Wars and No Indy.
I respect the Lucas that made the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones films and started two great film legacies, as well as made two well-done low-budget films before those series. The problem is that Lucas doesn't exist anymore. The Lucas we have now is apparently a talentless hack who's ruining the very same film legacies he created. It's this Lucas that fans are hating on. Me, I don't hate the current Lucas, but I don't respect him either.
Old 08-17-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Again, people confusing George Lucas owning and creating the characters and situations with him writing and/or directing the animated feature. If he wrote or directed it, he decided not to take credit for doing either.
But is was done with his approval/blessing, even though it looks like the kind of thing a studio would do with absolutely no input from the original creators.
Old 08-17-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read books on the making of this movie or that, and I've noticed that the stories change over the years. For example, I've read 3 different versions of how the scene with the swordsman in Raiders came about. So I don't pay much attention to these books anymore.
In this case you should -- the author acknowledges that the history of Star Wars has been distorted over the years and makes a point of avoiding modern sources wherever possible. For example, the chapters involving the development of the first movie rely heavily on the early drafts of the script, interviews prior to 1977, and production art.

He can do whatever he wants for the rest of his life. He's got my respect for what he did in his youth (which is when most people do their best work).
Mr. Hitchcock on line one. Ford, line two. Hawks line three.

----------------
Now playing: Bauhaus - Bonus Track
via FoxyTunes
Old 08-17-08, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I respect the Lucas that made the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones films and started two great film legacies, as well as made two well-done low-budget films before those series. The problem is that Lucas doesn't exist anymore. The Lucas we have now is apparently a talentless hack who's ruining the very same film legacies he created. It's this Lucas that fans are hating on. Me, I don't hate the current Lucas, but I don't respect him either.
I guess I accepted a while ago that MOST people do their best work when they're young. I used to love Van Halen, Metallica, Led Zeppelin. But Van Halen and Metallica haven't done anything interesting in years. And what I've heard from Robert Plant completely sucks. As far as directors, I love Francis Ford Coppola, Brian DePalma, Richard Donner, Joe Dante, John Carpenter, John Landis, Ivan Reitman and John Hughes. But they all seem to have lost it a long time ago. And yet I don't feel any urge to trash them or Lucas.
Old 08-17-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I guess I accepted a while ago that MOST people do their best work when they're young. I used to love Van Halen, Metallica, Led Zeppelin. But Van Halen and Metallica haven't done anything interesting in years. And what I've heard from Robert Plant completely sucks. As far as directors, I love Francis Ford Coppola, Brian DePalma, Richard Donner, Joe Dante, John Carpenter, John Landis, Ivan Reitman and John Hughes. But they all seem to have lost it a long time ago. And yet I don't feel any urge to trash them or Lucas.
You are correct that most artists do their best work when they are young, and what we call 'in their prime,' so in that sense I won't trash Lucas that he can't put out anything of good quality anymore.

The difference is Lucas keeps milking something that was great he created years ago, and it is hurting his legacy. He disses the Original Versions of Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi as 'they don't exist' anymore as he stated, which turns alot of fans like me off. He also won't even give fans like me a quality DVD or hopefully a BluRay set of the 3 movies that paid for his Company he now owns today and makes millions off of.

If Lucas just quit with SW after 2005, (or 1983), and put out a great boxset on DVD of all 6 movies with every version, and went on to do other things, most people wouldn't trash the guy anymore, as we would all be able to move on. But he keeps rehashing a tired series, in every interview he says stuff that contradict the old SW movies as he did this week on G4:

"I wanted to do more on the Clone Wars when I got to filming Episode III, but SW is about Anakin, and Anakin doesn't have much to do with The Clone Wars." -George Lucas

Huh? Wasn't Anakin sent to save the Chancellor after he got kidnapped during THe Clone Wars in Episode III? That sounds pretty important to me! Wasn't Anakin/Obiwan the shining stars of the Clone Wars? It is dumb statements like this that Lucas says that makes you wonder if he even watches his movies?
Old 08-17-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First of all there's much worse directors to go after. And as for milking his 2 franchises, EVERYONE does it.
Not true. While many franchises get milked, not every director participates in the milking, which is usually initiated by money-hungry studio moguls. For example Spielberg has directed a grand total of one sequel in his career. Terry Gilliam has never directed a sequel. Lucas has complete control over the Star Wars franchise, he could've stopped it at any time and nobody else could've taken it away from him. Unfortunately he no longer seems to be looking at Star Wars as a creative enterprise, but just a money making machine he can keep exploiting, like the studio mogul he is.
Old 08-17-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as directors, I love Francis Ford Coppola, Brian DePalma, Richard Donner, Joe Dante, John Carpenter, John Landis, Ivan Reitman and John Hughes. But they all seem to have lost it a long time ago. And yet I don't feel any urge to trash them or Lucas.
Do you jump into threads that are bashing their current work and defend those works though? Did you go into the thread for Youth Before Youth and write "I'm sick of all this Coppola bashing. The man made The Godfather, which is enough for me to give him a free pass for life"?
Old 08-17-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For example Spielberg has directed a grand total of one sequel in his career.

Do you know something about the Indiana Jones movies that the rest of us don't?

----------------
Now playing: Tanya Donelly - Darkside
via FoxyTunes
Old 08-17-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as directors, I love Francis Ford Coppola, Brian DePalma, Richard Donner, Joe Dante, John Carpenter, John Landis, Ivan Reitman and John Hughes. But they all seem to have lost it a long time ago. And yet I don't feel any urge to trash them or Lucas.
Neither Hughes nor Landis "lost it" -- one gave it up because he made enough money in just seven years of directing to retire comfortably; and the other had it taken away because no one was willing to give him any good movies to direct after what happened to Vic Morrow and those kids.

And there are numerous counter-examples -- Hitchcock was 60 when he hit the triple-play of Vertigo/North by Northwest/Psycho; Gilliam was already 40 by the time he made Time Bandits, and 55 for 12 Monkeys; Ford was over 60 when he made The Searches, and almost 70 for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Lumet was in his 50s when he did Network, Dog Day Afternoon, and Prince of the City, and over 80 for When the Devil Knows Your Dead; Don Siegel was almost 60 when he made Dirty Harry; Cronenberg's in his 60s and he's just made two of his best films; etc.

----------------
Now playing: Tanya Donelly - Darkside
via FoxyTunes
Old 08-17-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you know something about the Indiana Jones movies that the rest of us don't?
From interviews and articles regarding the latest Indy film, it's clear those are more Lucas films than Spielberg ones.

....naw, I'm just stupid.
Old 08-17-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And there are numerous counter-examples -- Hitchcock was 60 when he hit the triple-play of Vertigo/North by Northwest/Psycho; Gilliam was already 40 by the time he made Time Bandits, and 55 for 12 Monkeys; Ford was over 60 when he made The Searches, and almost 70 for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Lumet was in his 50s when he did Network, Dog Day Afternoon, and Prince of the City, and over 80 for When the Devil Knows Your Dead; Don Siegel was almost 60 when he made Dirty Harry; Cronenberg's in his 60s and he's just made two of his best films; etc.
Don't forget Bresson, he was 81 when he directed L'Argent.
Old 08-18-08, 01:55 AM

Well, I'm done here. Everyone is still missing the point. I didn't really come here to defend Lucas. I know that's futile. What I originally wrote here is that I'm just tired of the bitching. Its like if you were still whining about some girl who cheated on you 10 years ago.
Old 08-18-08, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Well, I'm done here. Everyone is still missing the point. I didn't really come here to defend Lucas. I know that's futile. What I originally wrote here is that I'm just tired of the bitching. Its like if you were still whining about some girl who cheated on you 10 years ago.
If she cheated with another girl, it's not whining. Not sure how that fits into your analogy. I'm just sayin', is all.
Old 08-18-08, 03:15 AM
Banned

For example Spielberg has directed a grand total of one sequel in his career.

Are you always this wrong or are you making a special effort today?
Old 08-18-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you always this wrong or are you making a special effort today?
The special effort was yesterday. Today I'm trying to stick to being 100% correct. We'll see how long that lasts.