Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lethal Weapon 5 (D: Mel Gibson)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lethal Weapon 5 (D: Mel Gibson)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
re: Lethal Weapon 5 (D: Mel Gibson)

RMB from what I've seen also likes stars quite a bit and has been under hot water himself once or twice for things he's said. I don't even remember what the things were and they weren't anywhere close to what Mel has said but I don't think he'd be the best judge.
Old 11-17-21, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ Cancel culture is definitely an odd thing. It makes you wonder who/what is behind getting “cancelled”.

I’m not sure I’d say that Gibson’s transgressions were ignored. He was blacklisted for quite a few years and he’s only been coming back for a short time - taking mostly glorified cameos and bad guy roles. Hacksaw Ridge gave him a bump back toward the top but even with that he’s certainly not the beloved A-lister he used to be.
Mel Gibson's fall from grace occured at a time when cancel culture didn't reach its current hight, his audience is older and not part of the cancel culture social media verse and like you said, as a director he bumped back, as an actor he's getting the parts Liam Neeson doesn't take. Fatman and Blood Father aren't Ransom or What Women Want. For Daddy's Home is bad boy image actually helped the part. Although I was suprised seeing him in a family movie.

And Hollywood loves comeback stories. Mel Gibson's career suffered a lot, but I guess we will see other actors bounce back. Johnny Depp won't be on Hollywood's shit list forever. Kevin Spacey could be a tougher sale.
Old 11-17-21, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I never took anything Mel said as being purposely malicious. Or at least coherently so. I think Mel Gibson is a very tortured human being, who is plagued by these kind of thoughts. I don’t think he has much control over them or welcomes them. I’m pretty sure he also has serious mental illness and self medicates with alcohol. Everyone has their own barometer when it comes to art for what they are willing to overlook. I have a few artists that I have completely extracted from my life. But I’ve completely forgiven Gibson in my head. He doesn’t seem like a bad guy. Just someone with a ton of demons in his life that he can’t always control.
Old 11-17-21, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I never took anything Mel said as being purposely malicious. Or at least coherently so. I think Mel Gibson is a very tortured human being, who is plagued by these kind of thoughts. I don’t think he has much control over them or welcomes them. I’m pretty sure he also has serious mental illness and self medicates with alcohol. Everyone has their own barometer when it comes to art for what they are willing to overlook. I have a few artists that I have completely extracted from my life. But I’ve completely forgiven Gibson in my head. He doesn’t seem like a bad guy. Just someone with a ton of demons in his life that he can’t always control.
Agree...He didn't sexually assault any one or kill somebody. He paid his dues IMHO don't care what anyone else thinks.
Old 11-17-21, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
RMB from what I've seen also likes stars quite a bit and has been under hot water himself once or twice for things he's said. I don't even remember what the things were and they weren't anywhere close to what Mel has said but I don't think he'd be the best judge.
Yeah, RMB commented on a retired police officer that was killed and that he thought the 2nd Amendment should be updated to allow the use of deadly force to protect the former cop's life. He posted this on Twitter along with a video of the man being shot (which was making the rounds) and people ONLY saw the video and not his comment and were offended that he posted it. That's the gist of it.
Old 11-17-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

With this being developed as an HBO Max movie as opposed to theatrical, I have to imagine the budget will be kept reasonable and not exceed $100M.
Old 11-17-21, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Hopefully they bring back Eric Clapton to do the music to really drive the cancel culture wackos crazy.
Old 11-18-21, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Alcohol doesn't make one a racist. It may make one say the quiet things out loud though(as might the mental illness). I think part of his resurgence might have to do with the past 5 years where racism has not only been accepted but openly embraced by a significant portion of the country, which is sad.

Interesting side discussion at any rate.
Old 11-18-21, 11:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
With this being developed as an HBO Max movie as opposed to theatrical, I have to imagine the budget will be kept reasonable and not exceed $100M.
This whole franchise doesn’t look anywhere near $100 in their films, so that should be easy.
Old 11-18-21, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Alcohol doesn't make one a racist. It may make one say the quiet things out loud though(as might the mental illness). I think part of his resurgence might have to do with the past 5 years where racism has not only been accepted but openly embraced by a significant portion of the country, which is sad.

Interesting side discussion at any rate.
Agreed. I don’t know a ton about Gibson’s personal life but I have heard that his father was/is a known racist so I’m guessing his upbringing has a lot to do with it.

I’d also argue that his resurgence has more to do with him publicly apologizing and working with Jewish community leaders to better educate himself. Isn’t that what we want as a society- for people who screw up to learn from their mistakes and move on?

The argument could be made that it’s all for show and he never really learned from his mistakes, that he’s still the POS anti-Semite he’s always been but that would be more personal opinions that Gibson can’t really do anything about.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (11-18-21)
Old 11-18-21, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
This whole franchise doesn’t look anywhere near $100 in their films, so that should be easy.
Lethal Weapon 4's budget back in 1998 was between $120-140M. Imagine what that would cost with inflation today.

That's why with this being a streaming movie, they probably can't spend that kind of money with two senior citizens as your leads.
Old 11-18-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing the budget will be reasonable, but not bargain basement. I've heard Glover is all-in on this, but Pesci is not...although Mel hopes to lure him back. I'm assuming Rene Russo will do it - I'm not sure if they want (or even need) Chris Rock.
Old 11-18-21, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

It's a miracle Pesci did Irishman, so I can't see him doing this as well, but I wouldn't mind being wrong. One of the things I love about the Lethal Weapon films is their dedication to continuity.
Old 11-18-21, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'd be interested if it was a crossover with The Expendables and brought Stallone, Statham & co. into it.
Old 11-19-21, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lethal Weapon 4's budget back in 1998 was between $120-140M. Imagine what that would cost with inflation today.

That's why with this being a streaming movie, they probably can't spend that kind of money with two senior citizens as your leads.
Mel Gibson won't get a salary of $30M today.
Old 11-19-21, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is speculation, so I'm not going to spoil it - but I know the script for this (at least the original script, which has been given at least one re-write) was pretty "dark" - so don't be shocked if they kill off Riggs at the end. For those not aware, Lethal Weapon 2 was originally written with Riggs dying off at the end, but - of course - all involved changed their minds realizing they had a franchise on their hands.

Has Gibson directed a bad film? I mean, even if the story doesn't work, I have no doubts this will be very well directed (again, assuming it happens at all).
Old 02-04-22, 12:45 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Lethal Weapon 5 (D: Mel Gibson)

Recently while speaking with Entertainment Tonight, Mel Gibson re-confirmed that he’ll be directing the fifth chapter of the Lethal Weapon franchise.

When asked if he’d be stepping in as the film’s new director, Gibson said, “Yeah, I am directing that. I’m really looking forward to it.” Gibson added, “I wish I wasn’t directing it. I wish Richard Donner was still here to do it but left us untimely, and he actually asked me, he said ‘Hey kid, if I don’t make it, you’ll take the reins, huh?’ I told him to shut up. I think it’s an honor for me to be able to carry the flag for him.”

“I called Danny [Glover] up, of course, and said ‘Hey, dude, is it okay with you if I direct this?’ He said yeah, let’s go.”

With Glover’s blessing, Gibson is more than ready to bring Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh back for another chance to shine on the big screen.

“I know Danny’s going to pull it off real well, too. He’s kind of like the show pony in this one.”
Old 02-04-22, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

As long as they finally kill off Riggs and bring it back to being rather dark in tone. Riggs' kid/Murtaugh's grandkid will be 23 at this point.
Old 02-04-22, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm actually excited about the idea of Mel Gibson directing an action comedy. His movies so far were all dramas, some with action set pieces, but comedy not so much.
Old 02-04-22, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I'm actually excited about the idea of Mel Gibson directing an action comedy. His movies so far were all dramas, some with action set pieces, but comedy not so much.
Before all the controversies with him and the movies he's directed I'd always assumed the jokester-goofball-3 Stooges loving Mel was how he was in real life. That other side to him really threw me for a curveball.
Old 02-04-22, 07:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I’m sure it’ll be by the book and no trace of his directing brilliance. Shouldn’t be really in a franchise like this.
Old 02-06-22, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk God

I won't believe this movie is officially happening until actors are cast and HBO Max announces it officially.
Old 02-06-22, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I won't believe this movie is officially happening until actors are cast and HBO Max announces it officially.
It’ll happen when Goonies 2 gets green lit.
Old 09-21-22, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Not dead yet.

“It’s [coming along] great, we’ve got a really good screenplay that I developed. Well, Donner developed it, Richard Donner, of course, developed it with Richard Wenk, and they had a really good template. I had the honor of sitting down, after Richard passed away, with the writer and doing a couple more drafts and trying to do it in the spirit of what we thought Donner might [want], because I knew the guy so well. We tried to get that flavor, and we were pretty happy with what we came up with. The only delay is now with all the shake-up at Warners, with Discovery coming in and the new boss, and they chop everyone else up and throw them away and get new people. It always takes time for these companies to regroup, so that’s been a delay, but I’m pretty confident we’ll get this one up on its feet, probably shoot it in the first quarter of the New Year.”

OldBoy (09-22-22)
Old 09-22-22, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The sucess of Top Gun certainly doesn't hurt this film's chances of getting made...we'll see.
OldBoy (09-22-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.