Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How good was... "The Professional" aka "Léon: The Professional"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: "The Professional" (Theatrical) or "Léon: The Professional" (DC)?
The Professional (Theatrical)
3.19%
Léon (DC)
90.43%
Neither. I thought you meant the Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster epic "The Professionals"!
6.38%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

How good was... "The Professional" aka "Léon: The Professional"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 02:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts
How great was... "The Professional" aka "Léon: The Professional"?

I'm getting so tired of TDK threads that I wanted to talk about something else.

Lately, I've been on such a "Leon" kick. I think I first saw "The Professional" on video. I don't think I saw it in the theater because back then I wouldn't go see a movie like this. Boy, would I now!

When I watch a movie on DVD and get blown away, then that is a truly special movie. To be wowed other than in the theater are movies that I hold dear to me. I have only a bunch in my memory that that has happened with.

"The Professional", the theatrical cut was such a great action film, that had heart thrown in when you didn't expect it to. My affection for Luc Besson and Jean Reno took hold with this one and Natalie Portman was so good as well.

Then, I saw the uncut, international, integral, director's preferred, whatever longer version "Leon: The Professional" and it transcended an incredible action film into an incredible mix of action and drama film. Now, while I still get a little unnerved by the old man, very young girl relationship and Mathilda's wanting more, it was great that Leon did not give in and kept it more father/daughter and made the end which is the same in theatrical and uncut much more understandable and incredible.

I love both incarnations of this movie and will revisit the theatrical this weekend I believe (as I turned my newly bought R2 Steelbook into a 3-disc Deluxe Edition with theatrical cut).

So what are your thoughts and which cut do you prefer?

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-29-08 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Unfortunately, I never saw "The Professional" when it was in theaters - I was a tad too young at the time although I do remember seeing scenes from it on a coming attractions type program at the time. It wasn't til a few years ago when "Leon" came out on dvd that I finally saw it. It's such a great movie in the Director's Cut - everything is so perfect - that I just don't have a desire to go back and watch the cut version - just don't see the point.

Michael
Old 07-29-08, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Léon has been my favorite movie for years.
Old 07-29-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
It's a great film!
A classic!

Not as good as the TDK though.
Old 07-29-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This isn't even a contest. In my eyes, the film doesn't even exist in any other form than the DC.

As for how good it was...to me, it's the best flick of the 90's.
Old 07-29-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Brent L
This isn't even a contest. In my eyes, the film doesn't even exist in any other form than the DC.

As for how good it was...to me, it's the best flick of the 90's.
+1

I totally agree with that statement.
Old 07-29-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
This movie bored the pants off of me when I saw it in theaters. Overrated dreck. Feh. Although, to be fair, I never saw the DC, only the theatrical version.
Old 07-29-08, 03:23 PM
Banned

Léon is better. A truly great film. And one of the best action films ever.
Old 07-29-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
This movie bored the pants off of me when I saw it in theaters. Overrated dreck. Feh. Although, to be fair, I never saw the DC, only the theatrical version.
Old 07-29-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I have Leon on DVD as a blind buy. It seems overrated to me. It's a decent film and built the relationship between the two characters very well, but I had trouble keeping my attention on the movie. I've watched it twice. Maybe i'll try and watch it again.
Old 07-29-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Now, while I still get a little unnerved by the old man, very young girl relationship and Mathilda's wanting more, it was great that Leon did not give in and kept it more father/daughter and made the end which is the same in theatrical and uncut much more understandable and incredible.
My interpretation of the movie is that Leon sees things as a father/daughter. Mathilda developed a "crush" on Leon because he is the only person who ever treated her nice.

"The Professional" (from what I remember) makes it more iffy about what's going on between them. "Leon", with its added scenes, clears a lot up.
Old 07-29-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I loved The Professional, but that was before I saw Leon. Even better!

Stansfield is no Gordon though.
Old 07-29-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked The Professional a lot when I first saw it on VHS. I bought Leon on DVD not knowing it was a DC (or even knowing there was a DC, this was my pre-DVDTALK days) and I loved it.
Leon certainly is in my top 20.
Old 07-29-08, 03:49 PM

i can't wait to see the te again, thinking now it won't hold up quite as well to the DC, but this is the cut that i and i am sure many fell in love with. i guess this is one of those that a longer, DC truly does improve upon the original.

reserving the right to vote till after, but really didn't think the poll would be so lopsided.
Old 07-29-08, 04:00 PM

I remember renting this on VHS when I was maybe 13? And I thought it was ok, but a lot of it was lost on me.

I saw it on TV when I was older and thought, "Man, a few years makes a helluva difference."

Then when I got my mitts on the DC it just put it over the top. It's brilliant.

The movie is infinitely rewatchable. Love it. Certainly, one of the best films of the 1990s. No question.

[Gary Oldman] EVVVVERRYYONNNNEE!!!!![/Gary Oldman]
Old 07-29-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When "The Professional" came out in the theatres, some critic called it as intense as "Speed." Mind you, Speed came out a few months before so I was expecting non-stop action. The movie turning out to be not an action movie had me thinking the film was unbearably slow.

I revisited the film when it was released in the uncut "Leon" and came to appreciate & love what Luc Besson was going for...not really an action film but a character study about a gentle assasin and a not-so innocent precocious girl.

I really love Gary Oldman's character here. Terrifying, funny and vicious. In some of the interviews he did for The Dark Knight, Oldman was kind of wondering why people can equate him for strange and evil characters and not see him as the good guy. This film shows why film audiences used to think that way.
Old 07-29-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
I've seen both cuts on DVD. The Professional is a very solid movie. Leon is a masterpiece of Hong Kong's "heroic bloodshed" genre, made in the U.S., directed by a Frenchman. All of the key performances are spot on, especially Oldman who is terrifying.
Old 07-29-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Overrated, just like the Dark Knight, but a bit more creepy.
Old 07-29-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by clappj
It's a great film!
A classic!

Not as good as the TDK though.
Or The Thing (1982)
Old 07-29-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Léon
Old 07-29-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
"The Professional" AND "Leon" beats the cape off of "The Dark Knight". And I loved that too. But "The Professional" and Leon" are in a class of their own.
Old 07-29-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
"The Professional" AND "Leon" beats the cape off of "The Dark Knight". And I loved that too. But "The Professional" and Leon" are in a class of their own.
Agreed.
Old 07-29-08, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
what in the world does "The Dark Knight" have anything to do with this thread????
Old 07-29-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598
what in the world does "The Dark Knight" have anything to do with this thread????
If anyone hasn't told you yet, The Dark Knight is the greatest movie of all-time.

Old 07-29-08, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
If anyone hasn't told you yet, The Dark Knight is the greatest movie of all-time.

ok, here it comes... "The Dark Knight" vs. "Léon" Thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.