Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TDK: IMAX or regular theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TDK: IMAX or regular theater?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Our local IMAX keeps selling out 2 days in advance for nighttime showings, and I can't plan that far ahead right now Stupid thing.

You can't plan what you're doing on Thursday? I don't mean to ridicule, I just don't get this. My friends are making the same argument. I told them, "Here, let me play Carnac for a second.... playing Guitar Hero... smoking a bowl... ordering Cheesesteaks from Duff's..... Name three things you'll be doing Thursday night that for some reason are more important to you than seeing The Dark Knight before it leaves Imax!"

Fucking clown shoes. They literally do nothing and they can't by tickets a couple days ahead of time...

-Doc
Old 07-29-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
You can't plan what you're doing on Thursday? I don't mean to ridicule, I just don't get this. My friends are making the same argument. I told them, "Here, let me play Carnac for a second.... playing Guitar Hero... smoking a bowl... ordering Cheesesteaks from Duff's..... Name three things you'll be doing Thursday night that for some reason are more important to you than seeing The Dark Knight before it leaves Imax!"

Fucking clown shoes. They literally do nothing and they can't by tickets a couple days ahead of time...

-Doc
See if I had that kind of schedule, I'd be alright. I work late for the next few weeks and there isn't a lot of flexibility in the times for the IMAX showings.

If I managed to get out early one night, I'd gladly drive down and check it out. But due to meetings and deadlines, can't really say I'd be able to make a 7:00 pm showing on Thursday. (Nothing makes a meeting worse, unless it's after hours.)
Old 07-29-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
oh thank god, the Smithsonian is going to book The Dark Knight down at the Natural History Museum IMAX downtown screen (subway accesible - woohoo!) now I don't have to trek out all the way out to Chantilly Virginia.
Now ya tell me...
Old 07-29-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
See if I had that kind of schedule, I'd be alright. I work late for the next few weeks and there isn't a lot of flexibility in the times for the IMAX showings.

If I managed to get out early one night, I'd gladly drive down and check it out. But due to meetings and deadlines, can't really say I'd be able to make a 7:00 pm showing on Thursday. (Nothing makes a meeting worse, unless it's after hours.)

Oh... you mean you're a mature adult who acts your age... now it makes sense

Re-reading my post, I realize I was coming down a little hard. But as I tried to preemptively suggest, that wasn't so much you as it was my idiot friends that I was railing against.... goddamned children.

-Doc
Old 07-29-08, 02:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JackBurton
Now ya tell me...
sorry, but I'm been having trouble getting out to Udvar Hazy and I sent the Smithsonian an email request to see if they could book it intown... and wow, they actually did it... who knew... I literally checked today and it states coming soon... cool beans! I don't know if that means 'Fly Me to the Moon' is opening on the 8th at Udvar Hazy, since it's not mentioned on their website, but I'd think they might take advantage of two IMAX screens both booking 'The Dark Knight'

Last edited by Giles; 07-29-08 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sorry, but I'm been having trouble getting out to Udvar Hazy and I sent the Smithsonian an email request to see if they could book it intown... and wow, they actually did it... who knew... I literally checked today and it states coming soon... cool beans!
Yeah, I was frustrated after the Udvar Hazy sold out for two dates that I wanted to go, so this time I bought them for 8/2 over a week in advance. Natural History Museum would have been much more convenient, but at this point I just wanna see the damn thing, and soon! Who knows, maybe I'll go their for a 2nd viewing the following weekend @ Smithsonian.

That is cool that they decided to book it. Looks like they'll have plenty of showings through the entire month of August too.
Old 07-29-08, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Yeah, I was frustrated after the Udvar Hazy sold out for two dates that I wanted to go, so this time I bought them for 8/2 over a week in advance. Natural History Museum would have been much more convenient, but at this point I just wanna see the damn thing, and soon! Who knows, maybe I'll go their for a 2nd viewing the following weekend @ Smithsonian.

That is cool that they decided to book it. Looks like they'll have plenty of showings through the entire month of August too.
let me know, I might want to join you.
Old 07-30-08, 12:30 PM

email from Smithsonian:

Your inquiry of July 24, 2008, regarding IMAX films has been received in the Smithsonian’s Public Inquiry Mail Service for response.

The IMAX film The Dark Knight will be shown at the Johnson IMAX Theater in the National Museum of Natural History from August 8-31, 2008.
Old 07-30-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question for those that reserve tickets for IMAX...

I just reserved tickets to see The Dark Knight in IMAX, but I was surprised to learn that not only am I just securing a ticket, but I am securing specific seats in the IMAX cinema (similar to if you were buying tickets to an Opera or comedy show, and you had to choose an exact seating location within the theater).

Is this normal for most IMAX theaters?

Last edited by PacMan2006; 07-30-08 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 06:53 PM

Varies by theater. I've gone to IMAX without reserved seating before.

Here in LA, a few theaters do seat reservation for normal screen theaters as well, not just IMAX theaters.

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Question for those that reserve tickets for IMAX...

I just reserved tickets to see The Dark Knight in IMAX, but I was surprised to learn that not only am I just securing a ticket, but I am securing specific seats in the IMAX cinema (similar to if you were buying tickets to an Opera or comedy show, and you had to choose an exact seating location within the theater).

Is this normal for most IMAX theaters?
Old 07-31-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Philly Imax (King of Prussia) is first come, first serve. Which sucks when you live with a bunch of habitually late stoners (I'm very punctual )

-Doc
Old 08-01-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My IMAX isn't getting TDK until August 29th wtf. They did this with Spiderman too. Sacramento must have the worst IMAX in the country.
Old 08-01-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Just got back from the IMAX. This is definitely THE way to see The Dark Knight. The IMAX shots are breathtaking and the sound was noticeably better and more involving than when I saw it in 35mm.

For the record, my IMAX is first come first serve, not assigned seating.
Old 08-01-08, 10:54 PM

aren't Hollywood films remixed to IMAX sound systems anyway - I mean you have up to 12 channels of sound, five of those must be bass - right? Or is the traditional 5.1 (3 in front, two in back, one bass) just sent to dedicated speakers in the IMAX configurement?
Old 08-02-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Woohoo! Finally saw this in IMAX this morning at the Irvine Spectrum after having last seen it back on opening day. Got there an hour early for the 10 AM show just in case. There wasn't really anyone there when I got there, but by 9:30 when they started letting people in, there was a decent line behind us and a long line for the box office to buy tickets. I've been to a bunch of IMAX shows before (Matrix Rev, Harry Potter, Batman Begins, 300, I Am Legend) and I think this is the first time I actually got decent seats a few rows from the back and right in the middle. I really dug the Spectrum as they were playing the soundtrack while we waiting in the theater, and had a silhouette of that poster with the eyes and bat symbol for the mouth up on the screen.

Anyway, the IMAX presentation floored me more then I expected. From the get go, the bank heist was amazing and having good seats I could see the whole scope of the film without panning my head. Every switch to the IMAX ratio was impressive, and I found myself waiting for those scenes. It also flipped over to the IMAX screens more then i thought, as it looked like it used those for any wide shots of the city, even if they lasted a few seconds before switching back.

As we got out, there was already a long line for the 1:15 showing. Crazy. Glad we went to the early show.
Old 08-18-08, 11:57 AM

I thought the scenes in IMAX were great, but in one instance where two insert shots that weren't filmed in IMAX, during the hospital explosion scene felt and looked very badly edited.

You could tell the sold out crowd was in great anticipation of the screening last Saturday - since it's general admission, the opening of the doors led to a massive surge and quick response to get the prime seats - I got mine and they were excellent seats

Last edited by Giles; 08-18-08 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 12:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I've never seen a Hollywood film in Imax, only a few of the museum-type short documentaries.

Saw The Dark Knight for the third time the other day, and finally in Imax. Wow.

I'm not easily impressed. I'm not impressed with hi-def for example. To me, the story is the thing, a fuzzy 4 inch black and white TV is just as good as a state of the art presentation.

But I was amazed by the presentation. I will definitely be going back there to see all the Hollywood films they get.

Well worth the extra couple bucks and the wait. I went on Saturday and all the shows that day were still sold out.
Old 08-18-08, 12:37 PM

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,132 Posts
We caught TDK at the Sony Metreon while we were on our honeymoon and loved it. My buddy and I caught it at the Minnesota Zoo IMAX last week and the size and sound were amazing. I don't know they made the film any more enjoyable necessarily, as the first time I saw it was great - I had no idea what was going to happen next at any given time. All that said, the wife and I will probably see this one more time, in IMAX, up in St. Michael.
Old 08-18-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
But I was amazed by the presentation. I will definitely be going back there to see all the Hollywood films they get.
To be completely honest with you, The Dark Knight is an exception to the rule as The Dark Knight had scenes shot specifically for IMAX and all of the visual effects were done at an 8k resolution (rather than what usually is 4k).

I saw Speed Racer in both IMAX and DLP (yes, I saw it twice, I actually loved it) and I couldn't tell the image difference difference between either one. However, the sound was slightly better in IMAX.
Old 08-18-08, 01:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
To be completely honest with you, The Dark Knight is an exception to the rule as The Dark Knight had scenes shot specifically for IMAX and all of the visual effects were done at an 8k resolution (rather than what usually is 4k).
Thanks for clarifying that, I momentarily forgot that all films aren't shot the same way.

And just to be thorough, the best part of my TDK Imax experience were those scenes shot for Imax. The clarity (and sheer size) was phenomenal and really added to the immersive experience.

Still, even for non-Imax Hollywood films, I plan on going there more often. The sound system was great, perhaps the best I've heard so far, and the overall comfort-level of the theater was great. Things like carpeted floors, no food spilled everywhere, a more mature crowd generally, the stadium seating, and the really nice plush chairs really add up to a nice experience.

I went into the theater expecting to be underwhelmed and think that Imax is overrated, but came away a true believer. Wait, that's Marvel Comics....
Old 08-18-08, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

I saw Speed Racer in both IMAX and DLP (yes, I saw it twice, I actually loved it) and I couldn't tell the image difference difference between either one. However, the sound was slightly better in IMAX.
as I understand it, films that are traditionally 5.1 in standard theatres, are actually remixed for their IMAX engagements, so yes... they will sound superior.

all scenes shot with IMAX/70mm camera is 8K resolution based.

'Watchmen' is now up on IMAX' website for next year.

Last edited by Giles; 08-18-08 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

'Watchmen' is now up on IMAX' website for next year.
As is Eagle Eye.