Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WarGames 25th Anniversary Event

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.fathomevents.com/details.aspx?eventid=724

Fathom and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios are proud to present WarGames back on the big screen after 25 years. Don’t miss this one-night-only event in select movie theatres nationwide on Thursday, July 24th at 7:30PM (local).

The event will include never-before-seen interviews with cast and crew on how the movie was ahead of its time and its relevance today. Additionally, only at this one night event, get a sneak peek at the making of the sequel – WarGames: The Dead Code.

Movie synopsis: Computer hacker David Lightman (Matthew Broderick) can bypass the most advanced security systems, break the most intricate secret codes and master even the most difficult computer games. But when he unwittingly taps into the Defense Department's war computer, he initiates a confrontation of global proportions World War III! Together with his girlfriend (Ally Sheedy) and a wizardly computer genius (Tony Award® winner John Wood), David must race against time to outwit his opponent... and prevent a nuclear Armageddon.
Anyone else planning on seeing this? I saw the movie when it came out originally... has it been 25 years? CPE 1704 TKS forever!!!!
Old 07-17-08, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Careful, though. Fathom Events are often times just projected from the DVD and Fathom has been known to screw up the screenings (such as projecting Poltergeist in the wrong aspect ratio)
Old 07-17-08, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't people complain how this year's FIRST BLOOD re-release was a bad event?
Why do they bother with these when there's dvd.
Old 07-17-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Yep, they're basically taking the DVD that you can OWN for $10 on the 29th and charging you $10 to VIEW it on the 24th.

Just buy the DVD.
Old 07-17-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, let me reiterate this for anyone making the mistake of considering going to this: Fathom events fucking suck! It's a total waste of time and money. Your DVD at home, on a plasma or a shitty 19" CRT, will look incredibly better than what they show.
Old 07-17-08, 12:31 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I went to the Poltergeist one last year, and can confirmt hat it was shown in the wrong ratio. My advice is too not wasteyour money on any of their events.
Old 07-18-08, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you like to play a game?
Old 07-25-08, 08:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Went last night, my first Fathom event. Overall, I think it was ok.

The picture quality seemed decent, although I'm can't be positive the aspect ratio was right.

The interviews before the film were fun, although they did spoil the story and all the best lines. I hadn't seen the film in 20 years, so would have been surprised by almost all of it if it wasn't for that bonus.

The trailer for the direct-to-video sequel was lame of course.

The picture did stop three quarters of the way thru the movie, crashed to the windows desktop. It gave the 100 or so of us in the theater the chance to make a bunch of microsoft and government jokes. They got it running again in about ten minutes.

To compensate us, they handed us all free movie passes as we departed the theater.

So not perfect by any means, but worth the money (free I guess), and it was nice to see an old favorite on the big screen again.
Old 07-25-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.thekevinexperiment.com/blogged/?p=68