Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Meta-Poll Poll — What should be the "standard" poll choices for rating movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How should our review thread poll options read to rate a movie?
IMDB Scale: 1 to 10
16.25%
Patman Scale: A+ through F
16.25%
Ebert Scale #1: Zero to Four Stars
21.25%
Ebert Scale #2: Two Thumbs Down to Two Thumbs Up
1.25%
Restaurant Star Scale: Zero to Five Stars
32.50%
DVD Talk Scale: Collector's Series, Buy It, Rent It, Skip It
3.75%
Something else entirely
0%
There should be no polls in review threads.
8.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

The Meta-Poll Poll — What should be the "standard" poll choices for rating movies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 11:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
well, i started this for next week to start precedent and i think it looks pretty good.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=534733

it is a little work, but nothing too bad.

what do you all think?
Somebody's already given the film 5 stars.
Old 07-02-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep it simple. 0-4 or 0-5 in whole number increments. If a professional reviewer wants to give a film 3.5 stars, that's one thing; but it's overkill in this context and spreads the voting too thin to be useful. The point is to get a general idea of how a group of people feel about a film at a glance, not perform statistical analysis on their opinions.

das
Old 07-02-08, 11:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Looks good Scott, except for the nine choice poll range. I really think we need to limit it to no more than six (if we do the 0-5 star scale).
Old 07-02-08, 11:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
The point is to get a general idea of how a group of people feel about a film at a glance, not perform statistical analysis on their opinions.
You just cock-blocked wendersfan.
Old 07-02-08, 12:01 PM

Keep it simple. 0-4 or 0-5 in whole number increments. If a professional reviewer wants to give a film 3.5 stars, that's one thing; but it's overkill in this context and spreads the voting too thin to be useful. The point is to get a general idea of how a group of people feel about a film at a glance, not perform statistical analysis on their opinions.

das
Copycat.

Old 07-02-08, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good Scott! Except people are already started to cheat..It will eventually even out though obviously

and the vast number of options is NOT overkill. You will be able to see by the line graph what the consensus is.
Old 07-02-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,044 Likes on 641 Posts
Keep it simple. 0-4 or 0-5 in whole number increments.
QFT (bolding mine)
Old 07-02-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I think that's why we need to make the Poll Choices public. I also think that, in order, to not jump the gun, you should not make a Reviews thread until you've actually seen the movie. Otherwise the first few pages are just "can't wait" etc. until someone actually writes a review.

I also don't think every movie needs a "Hype" and a "Review" thread. If a movie's thread still has, say, less than 20 posts, I don't see why we need to have a separate review thread. If it has 40+ posts (2 or more pages, depending on your settings), then sure.

These are all guidelines, of course. I don't think we'd get anything from trying to "enforce" them aside from a mod maybe changing a title once in a while or adding the finalized "guidelines" into a Movie Talk sticky.
Old 07-02-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, I figured making polls would be easier if you could simply type and have this appear instead:

And so on for , , , , ...

So if you like that idea, add your opinion to this Feedback Forum thread.
Old 07-02-08, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great idea, that would be perfect.
Old 07-02-08, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I voted for 0 to 5 - but I've been using that scale in my 'rank them as you see them' posts since 2001 (and flixster is a 5 star scale, so it's what I'm used to and prefer).
For DVDtalk consistency, I voted for this option as well.

Those threads have become "standard" in this community to a large extent. We use the 5 star scale in the book threads as well. (Yes Virginia, there is a book forum.)
Old 07-02-08, 01:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 951 Likes on 796 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Somebody's already given the film 5 stars.
yeah, that's trollish, unless someone did see an advanced and didn't post. is there a way to start polls at a given date, i know you can end them...
Old 07-02-08, 01:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 951 Likes on 796 Posts
Originally Posted by JPRaup
Looks good Scott! Except people are already started to cheat..It will eventually even out though obviously

and the vast number of options is NOT overkill. You will be able to see by the line graph what the consensus is.
that's what i thought. when i rate dvd's on DVDSpot i like the 1/2 bc mostly i don't have solid 5's or 4's.
Old 07-02-08, 01:49 PM

I'm bored silly at work. Hope you all don't mind a rambling repetitive reply to a few comments. Should just give this thread a couple more days before posting more, but did I mention I'm bored?

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
0-5 is cool as long as we can use .5 stars. I hate Netflix's whole star policy. Some films are neither 3's or 4's, but rather 3.5's. That's just a truth of life.
As The Bus pointed out, 0-5 with half stars actually leads to 11 choices. Might as well do 1-10 at that point. And I agree with the others that have said that would be too many choices for this particular endeavor.

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Who's going to "enforce" all this anyway? The mods? Or are we just going to get a lot of bitching in threads that you're not doing it the "right" way which could get really old really fast? Just wondering....
I think we agree that no enforcement is really necessary. If we put it in the FAQ, and all try to follow it, it will eventually catch on. But, in my normal impatient mode, how about this? If the current Movie Talk mods don't want the bother of "fixing" 5 or so threads a week, make another Movie Talk mod, someone with the sole responsibility of spending 10 minutes a day to edit thread titles, add poll options, merge these threads?

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I think it's a great idea. I hate to read review threads before I see a movie but I really want to know what the forum thinks before I see a movie.
Exactly. And as others have pointed out, polls give the lurkers in our community the chance to be heard a bit.

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm somewhat in favor of open polls so we can see who's trolling and/or ballot stuffing.
Normally I think I'm against public polls. But I'm not sure why exactly. So ok, I'll vote for public polls for this idea.

Originally Posted by The Bus
I think that's why we need to make the Poll Choices public. I also think that, in order, to not jump the gun, you should not make a Reviews thread until you've actually seen the movie. Otherwise the first few pages are just "can't wait" etc. until someone actually writes a review.
True, but I could see it being beneficial for some of us to start the review threads a bit early just to push the new format. Just a few days before release, early enough where a few of us have probably caught a preview.

I also don't think every movie needs a "Hype" and a "Review" thread. If a movie's thread still has, say, less than 20 posts, I don't see why we need to have a separate review thread. If it has 40+ posts (2 or more pages, depending on your settings), then sure.
Agreed. Then of course we need Mods willing to edit threads to create the poll and make the thread title standard.

Also, I figured making polls would be easier if you could simply type and have this appear instead:

And so on for , , , , ...

So if you like that idea, add your opinion to this Feedback Forum thread.
Great idea. If we get enough "votes" in that thread perhaps our tireless and under appreciated admins can make the smilies happen.
Old 07-02-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A pox on star/number ratings!

I will stick to reading the well-reasoned, civil discussions found... inside the many threads...

I just don't like rating scales.

You all can take your uniformity and consistency and... post it.
Old 07-02-08, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by sundog
A pox on star/number ratings!

I will stick to reading the well-reasoned, civil discussions found... inside the many threads...

I just don't like rating scales.

You all can take your uniformity and consistency and... post it.
I don't think the polls will stop the well-reasoned civil discussions at all. It will just provide an extra bit of potentially interesting information. If you're not interested in the "forum score", just don't vote. If you don't vote you won't see the score, so this new idea won't affect you at all.
Old 07-02-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
Copycat.

Note to self: Read thread before posting.

das
Old 07-02-08, 02:28 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
One star to five stars is my preferred choice.
Old 07-02-08, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
One star to five stars is my preferred choice.
We need to leave the zero star option for Wayan Brothers and Adam Sandler films.

But speaking of moderators, you're not a Movie Talk mod, right? Has anyone made sure that this sub-forum's mods know about this idea? It would be nice to get all of their input.

Edit to add: I did the report to mod thing, so maybe we'll get their input soon.

Last edited by Trevor; 07-02-08 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I like the IMDb scale. It's essentially the same as the restaurant scale, but I think it allows for a more precise rating.
Old 07-02-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think the polls will stop the well-reasoned civil discussions at all.
Agreed.

Now we just need those discussions to start.
Old 07-02-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
I voted 0-5 stars rather than 0-4 because that'll give a person a way to vote in the middle if they can't approve or disapprove of the movie. It's the Meh Vote.
Old 07-02-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I've always rated films with the A+ through F scale; to me, when you rate something a 5/10 or 2 out of 4 stars, thats not average, thats crap, since 50% or below was always an F throughout my years in school and college.
Old 07-02-08, 08:43 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
But speaking of moderators, you're not a Movie Talk mod, right? Has anyone made sure that this sub-forum's mods know about this idea? It would be nice to get all of their input.
No, I think all hell would break loose if I were a mod here. But I know this will probably be implemented soon.
Old 07-02-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wendersfan
No, I think all hell would break loose if I were a mod here. But I know this will probably be implemented soon.
Does that mean we won't get ANOVA models on summer blockbusters vs. Oscar nominees, etc.?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.