Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Wall-E" ...(An Adventure Beyond the Ordinar-E) reviews thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Wall-E" ...(An Adventure Beyond the Ordinar-E) reviews thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 07:16 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't find Wall-E a political film, even if it does touch on some environmental issues. I don't care if you do, and you're free to bring up some of those aspects (as others already have) as it relates to the movie itself, but I don't think Wall-E has anything to do with images of George Bush and the MAD guy.

As for #3, I know who introduced it in this thread.
I'm probably even more surprised than you are that my allusion to a comic-book character, Alfred E. Newman (I try to keep it simple, you see), went right over whoopdido's head.

Here's something a little more advanced, perhaps, but that most of you should still grasp:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FiQJ9Xp0xxU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FiQJ9Xp0xxU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELfiVTTb5Jw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELfiVTTb5Jw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZ5Rp1HbqVM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZ5Rp1HbqVM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by baracine; 07-26-08 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-26-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
You must be a pleasant fellow at dinners.
Old 07-26-08, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was great, it resembled a Twilight Zone episode, only made by Pixar. And the MAC gag is awesome.
Old 07-28-08, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fumanstan
You must be a pleasant fellow at dinners.
I'm also handy with a paintbrush around the nursery room:

Old 07-28-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I saw this last weekend. I was underwhelmed. The first half hour was great. When Wall-E hitched a ride onto Eve's spaceship, things got thoroughly mediocre. I felt like the first half hour of the film was what Pixar wanted to do. The rest of the movie felt tailored to work with a mainstream audience.
Just saw the film and this is my feeling as well. The film really lacked a good group of supporting characters. Walle himself was interesting and sympathetic, everybody else was just blah.

I didn't mind the message or the lack of dialogue and of course the animation was beautiful, but I think the story needed a little better fleshing out.
Old 07-28-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just came back from this yesterday and was thoroughly disappointed.

It looked unbelievable, especially the cruise ship. I found myself pissed off when the scene changed because I couldn't take in all of the images that I couldn't believe my eyes were seeing. The holograms, the appearance of three dimensions, the speed and fluidity at which those chairs were flying around... it was all awesome, almost unbelievable.

But the actual movie was boring, heavy handed, hypocritical and most importantly, boring and not funny. I've stayed away from every review and had no idea where the story would go once Wall-E leaves Earth, but I haven't been this disappointed with a flick in a long, long time. Pixar was a constant for me, I think their low point for me was Cars, which I only greatly enjoyed. There were no jokes in this film, and the robot slapstick got old really freaking fast. Brian's review was spot on, especially the idea that Disney/Pixar could present this information as if it's a call to action or something.

There's a point where the message can't overwhelm a movie, and this crossed that line and beat it to death. If they release the DVD/BD with a score-only audio version, I'll be first in line, but on the merits of the film this was one of the bigger disappointments I can remember.
Old 07-28-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Pixar was a constant for me, I think their low point for me was Cars, which I only greatly enjoyed.
As I reflect on my experience with Wall-E all the more, and my previous experience with Cars, I think I really have grown to like Cars more than I did the first time I saw it.

Unfortunately, with Wall-E, I think I like it less the more I think about it. I can get on board with the message and all...none of that I had a problem with. It was the story execution. You brought up some good points I didn't before, but points that I certainly agree with nonetheless.
Old 07-28-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by baracine
I'm probably even more surprised than you are that my allusion to a comic-book character, Alfred E. Newman (I try to keep it simple, you see), went right over whoopdido's head.

Here's something a little more advanced, perhaps, but that most of you should still grasp:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FiQJ9Xp0xxU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FiQJ9Xp0xxU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELfiVTTb5Jw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELfiVTTb5Jw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZ5Rp1HbqVM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZ5Rp1HbqVM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Way to make blanket assumptions about ALL Republicans.

I assume since you're a communist. As a liberal you should know this. All liberals are communists.

I'm not going to get into some idiotic war of words with you, but the poster that sarcastically said that you must be a treat at dinner parties hit the nail on the head. Calm down and take your political crap to the POLITICS board.

I just never understand it when people try to bring politics into movies and especially kids movies. It's just a movie. Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

And for the record I didn't watch the videos you posted, but if you want I'd be glad to find some Republican propaganda videos that make you liberals look bad.
Old 07-28-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido

I assume since you're a communist. As a liberal you should know this. All liberals are communists.

I'm not going to get into some idiotic war of words with you, but the poster that sarcastically said that you must be a treat at dinner parties hit the nail on the head. Calm down and take your political crap to the POLITICS board.

I just never understand it when people try to bring politics into movies and especially kids movies. It's just a movie. Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

And for the record I didn't watch the videos you posted, but if you want I'd be glad to find some Republican propaganda videos that make you liberals look bad.

Not only did I watch them...I found them hilarious and true!

Great great vids!

Too bad you didn't watch them....you're missing out!
Old 07-29-08, 12:47 AM
Registered

The first half was brilliant. The second more like a Disney film than Pixar.
Old 07-29-08, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Hehe. Yep'. With your statement, I presume that you are just a little to the right. While the leftists and rightists get all red-faced and scream at each other in congress, the center is where stuff gets done. It goes along with my theory that 5% of crazy-ass radicals from one side are just battling with 5% of crazy-ass radicals from the other side - is destroying man's goodwill and the planet and stuff.

I'm all for being nice to the planet. And I really do care. And I really do what the ecoists tell me to do (bought a small condo, ride my bike, drive a small car, buy local products ... hell, I OWN a surplus/recycling business). Been doing it since I moved out of mom and dad's house a few years ago. And I think I set an example for the couple kids I'm around. But I know TWO CHILDREN. Instilling the messages in Wall-E into kids' heads is a big leap in reaching kids with positive messages. Can anyone really say that Wall-E's messages are negative?

Pixar has been delivering good, apparent messages in all of their movies. You have Toy Story and it's lessons about identity, friendship, growing apart, etc. You have The Incredibles, which has obvious family/teamwork messages. Cars was a bit heavy on the 'heritage' theme.

Doh'. Please watch the videos. Do you know how bad that statement looks? Especially after criticizing baracine for making a "blanketed assumption". I presume your mentality is, 'erm, I didn't actually look at the details, but I know what it's about'.

To talk about Wall-E... Still a really good movie. My four-year old neice really enjoyed it too. An entertaining movie with a statement is 'it' for me. I love that stuff. I'm okay with the ecoist messages in Wall-E. I'm okay with the 'helpless drug war' messages in Traffic. And I'm okay with Bad Boys II ignoring civillians to catch the bad guys (obviously Bay's enlightened, tongue-in-cheek criticism of America's well-intentioned, lazily executed, blindly monitored war in Iraq - a true story of an exercise in escapism, hehe).

Maybe Wall-E will make some average parent stop shoping at Buy-O-Large. It's all just good entertainment that might spark some good conversation and a little change. If you actually object to the messages in Wall-E (the actual message, not that fact that it's a message in a family movie) - I am just too inarticulate to say how I feel about that. 'It was a good movie, but I didn't like how it makes obese people and Wal-Mart look bad'.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 07-29-08 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-29-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by gkleinman
The first half was brilliant. The second more like a Disney film than Pixar.
I kind of agree. Though I thought the second half was highlighted by the "Hello, Dolly" stuff. Those scenes were really moving. And the cat-and-mouse chasing/tracking stuff was pretty neat too. The 'human' stuff was all too short and sweet to dislike.

If my neice had to sit through a second half that played just like the first half (a 'silent narrative', I guess you could call it), I think her mind would have wondered too much. I think the timing and pacing of introducing the humans was really good. Just as the kid (and maybe me) got a little bored with the first half's narrative, we were introduced to something new.
Old 07-29-08, 06:02 AM
Suspended

I assume (...) you're a communist. As a liberal you should know this. All liberals are communists.
Too bad you didn't watch it because video number 3 was created specifically for people like you...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qXk4P12p1tU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qXk4P12p1tU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by baracine; 07-29-08 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-29-08, 07:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

Guys, some of these posts belong in the political forum instead of here. Heck, some of them aren't even appropriate there. So, please stop the insults and blanket attacks.
Old 07-29-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler

Doh'. Please watch the videos. Do you know how bad that statement looks? Especially after criticizing baracine for making a "blanketed assumption". I presume your mentality is, 'erm, I didn't actually look at the details, but I know what it's about'.
How is my statement any worse than his implication that just because I said I'm a Republican I'm one of the, as you say, 5% radicals? That was why I said he's a communist since he's a liberal. I was being sarcastic, but unfortunately I don't think baracine was. Unfortunately it seems like he believes that anybody that doesn't think exactly the way he does is 100% wrong.

I did watch about 30 seconds of each video and each one started the same way. Republicans are rude, selfish, egotisitical and will destroy the planet within 90 days. No thanks. I'm not a bad guy and don't appreciate being lumped in with the wackos out there.

Like I said, I could find some videos of some drug using, flag burning, America hating, radical, violent liberals spouting their propoganda, but nah.
Old 08-18-08, 05:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
finally got around to seeing this and on a whim no less. very endearing. i liked it a lot. didn't know it was a "message" movie. very very different from all other Pixar movies and this one really worked for me. got better as it went a long and really made me think throughout.

very enjoyable characters and story development. worked well for me!
Old 09-27-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know Pixar is in the business of pleasing crowds, but
Spoiler:
am I the only one who thought they should've gone with the gut-wrenching, Cuckoo's Nest type ending of a "repaired" Wall-E never regaining his personality? That was such an emotional moment in the film, partly because the audience truly felt that Wall-E - as we knew him - was gone.
Old 09-27-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
That would have been interesting. It would have worked great as an ending if they stuck with the direction of the first half of the film.
Old 09-27-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hardercore
Spoiler:
am I the only one who thought they should've gone with the gut-wrenching, Cuckoo's Nest type ending of a "repaired" Wall-E never regaining his personality? That was such an emotional moment in the film, partly because the audience truly felt that Wall-E - as we knew him - was gone.
If anybody was going to give us a gut-wrenching ending to an animated movie, I'd put money on a Japanese director or Pixar before any of the other studios.

Perhaps if Pixar was independent...but I don't know if the Disney suits would go for an ending like that.

If the movie ended like that, I may have softened my harsh criticisms of the movie. I can't say I would have liked the in between stuff better, but an ending like that would have redeemed the movie for me.
Old 09-27-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by hardercore
Spoiler:
I would've liked it better if it went that route, but know that there's no way the filmmakers would've taken on such an ending.

It kind of reminds me of The Iron Giant in that way with...
Spoiler:
...it's cop-out final scene that undermined the moving self-sacrifice that really should have ended the film.
Old 09-27-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dhmac
It kind of reminds me of The Iron Giant in that way with...
Spoiler:
...it's cop-out final scene that undermined the moving self-sacrifice that really should have ended the film.
Now you could say the same thing about CJ7 (though I realize that many people here have probably never seen that movie)
Spoiler:
though in that instance, the alien remains dead...the boy just gets to meet all the others in the species which makes him feel better in the end.
but the thing about Iron Giant is that it sets up that ending WAY early in the movie.
Spoiler:
It's well established early on that he can regenerate/rebuild himself no matter how badly damaged he is.

Spoiler:
Iron Giant is like Wolverine! And to me it did not make the self sacrifice any less emotional and poignant. In fact, I doubt the Iron Giant knew he was going to be able to rebuild himself.
Old 09-27-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
If anybody was going to give us a gut-wrenching ending to an animated movie, I'd put money on a Japanese director or Pixar before any of the other studios.

Perhaps if Pixar was independent...but I don't know if the Disney suits would go for an ending like that.

If the movie ended like that, I may have softened my harsh criticisms of the movie. I can't say I would have liked the in between stuff better, but an ending like that would have redeemed the movie for me.
Thematically I don't think it would've worked. The film is about hope and that love conquers all. You'd have to drastically rewrite parts of the film for that ending to make sense.

It's like saying AI should've ended with David in the amphibacopter.
Old 09-27-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I would have hated it if it ended like that
Old 09-27-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Wow baracine causing trouble in another pixar thread. How did I miss that.

Yeah we get it. You don't live in America so you are superior to us and Finding Nemo was stolen from the French.
Old 09-28-08, 02:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm a fan of dark and depressing endings, and if any studio was going to release an animated film like that, it would be Pixar. But while I was watching the film, I was hoping that they wouldn't end it in such a dark fashion. It just doesn't fit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.