Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Hairspray" (1988) or "Hairspray" (2007)?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: "Hairspray" (1988) or "Hairspray" (2007)?
Hairspray (1988)
45.28%
Hairspray (2007)
33.96%
Neither, they both blow chunks out of John Waters ass!
20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-08, 06:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

so i have been watching bits and pieces of "Hairspray" (2007) on HBO for like 2 weeks now. i mean i really love everything about this movie and can't get enough.

it got me thinking of the original John Waters movie. i know it has quite a following as well and wondering if it might be worth picking up seeing as how much i love the remake.

is it as good? same catchy songs and wonderul performances? perhaps better? perhaps worse?

what is your take having seen both?
Old 06-22-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't like either. I'm actually a big musical fan and was expecting to like the 2007 version based on the buzz but I would rather watch an overweight trannie eat dog feces.
Old 06-22-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Love the new one. Then saw the old one and didn't like it, but I'm not a Waters fan.
Old 06-22-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've seen both and prefer the new version.
Old 06-22-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like them both I have the music video from the original John Waters movie that's not on the DvD and it's a blast.
Old 06-22-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never liked the original, but love the new version (even bought it on Blu-ray, where the visuals really pop).
Old 06-22-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
BOTH are great films!

But I'll give the 2007 version a slight advantage.
Old 06-22-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Divine > John Travolta*

Saw part of the '07 version recently and I love the 1988 one, but I might watch this if only to see how it compares.

* - Divine is much more organic and realistic in the Edna role, and far funnier from what I've seen.
Old 06-22-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Didn't like either. I'm actually a big musical fan and was expecting to like the 2007 version based on the buzz but I would rather watch an overweight trannie eat dog feces.
I feel the same. Loved the original John Waters movie and did see the play and even liked that but the movie was not very good, And Travolta brought it down a few notches for me. I thought he was horrible.
Old 06-23-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Divine > John Travolta*

Saw part of the '07 version recently and I love the 1988 one, but I might watch this if only to see how it compares.

* - Divine is much more organic and realistic in the Edna role, and far funnier from what I've seen.
Well Divine was doing what Divine did both in life and while performing. John Travolta, to the best of my knowledge, though I've heard rumors for years , was simply playing a role. If they had cast him as a pilot, I'm sure he would've rocked it.

I didn't like the weird voice Travolta chose, but overall he was ok in the role.
Old 06-23-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
If they had cast him as a pilot, I'm sure he would've rocked it.
So true.
Old 06-23-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The original is the best. The Broadway version is fun, though.
Old 06-23-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I am a Waters fan and I have seen the original quite a few times. And HBO has been running the musical non-stop lately, which I have seen now 4 times.

But, I feel it is comparing apples and oranges. But the message that both have (similar, not the same) is fantastic.

However I am slightly inclined to choose the musical because the visuals are amazing and the songs are fantastic. I found myself getting sucked in each time I watched it...and that is what usually makes a good movie great.
Old 06-23-08, 02:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by macnorton
I am a Waters fan and I have seen the original quite a few times. And HBO has been running the musical non-stop lately, which I have seen now 4 times.

But, I feel it is comparing apples and oranges. But the message that both have (similar, not the same) is fantastic.

However I am slightly inclined to choose the musical because the visuals are amazing and the songs are fantastic. I found myself getting sucked in each time I watched it...and that is what usually makes a good movie great.
that's what edged the remake over the original for me.

'Good morning Baltimoooooore'
Old 06-23-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Giles
that's what edged the remake over the original for me.

'Good morning Baltimoooooore'
Yup, the songs won me over. The dance numbers that go with them are very good to, but the songs really do stand out. In fact I may buy the soundtrack...which I normally never do (sans scores, but that is a different animal).
Old 06-23-08, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton
Yup, the songs won me over. The dance numbers that go with them are very good to, but the songs really do stand out. In fact I may buy the soundtrack...which I normally never do (sans scores, but that is a different animal).
i have the soundtrack and it is just as awesome as the movie. but, the visuals do make it come alive.

wait...wait...John Waters version is not a musical??? i think i maybe disappointed now.
Old 06-23-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i have the soundtrack and it is just as awesome as the movie. but, the visuals do make it come alive.

wait...wait...John Waters version is not a musical??? i think i maybe disappointed now.
It has lots of music (since it's about a dance show, they have to dance to something) but it is not a musical. The play is a musical based on the original movie, the new movie is based on the play.

I prefer the original, but the new one was ok.
Old 06-23-08, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ginwen
It has lots of music (since it's about a dance show, they have to dance to something) but it is not a musical. The play is a musical based on the original movie, the new movie is based on the play.

I prefer the original, but the new one was ok.
wow! i really had no idea. and it's not even racy as John Waters goes given the PG rating. but still, i am going to get it just so i can compare. i was hoping this was an extension of the new one with musical #'s galore to enjoy as i just wanted more of the 2007, but it will be fun to compare and contrast nonetheless.
Old 06-23-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's a good point. All the songs ("Welcome to the '60s" etc.) were written for the Broadway stage version, which became the basis of the new movie.
Old 06-23-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I like a lot of John Waters movies, but I think the original Hairspray is too much of a disjointed mess. More Divine in the movie would've helped, and I do think it has a great soundtrack of some early '60s gems. But I have no desire to sit through it again.

However, I think the musical Hairspray (which I've never seen on stage) is great! It really improved the structure of the storyline and the cast was pretty strong - even Travolta surprised me on how well he did in his role. (Contrast that to the original, where except for Divine, I thought the cast was pretty weak.)

So the musical version all the way for me!
Old 06-23-08, 08:47 PM

Love the John Waters film, hate the new one. Just a really terrible film. Besides the fact that the original is a great movie it has a killer soundtrack! Any movie that plays a Bunker Hill song is cool by me.
Old 06-23-08, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
I like a lot of John Waters movies, but I think the original Hairspray is too much of a disjointed mess. More Divine in the movie would've helped, and I do think it has a great soundtrack of some early '60s gems. But I have no desire to sit through it again.

However, I think the musical Hairspray (which I've never seen on stage) is great! It really improved the structure of the storyline and the cast was pretty strong - even Travolta surprised me on how well he did in his role. (Contrast that to the original, where except for Divine, I thought the cast was pretty weak.)

So the musical version all the way for me!
the movie 'musical' version improves on the Broadway version by deleting the whole prison scene which seems to go on forever - the movie I dare say is much better paced.
Old 06-23-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I liked the '88 version.

But I'm biased because I used to know one of the dancers that shows up at The Corny Collins Show. Look for the cute blonde in the blue dress with white poka dots. She was also a Baltimore Orioles ballgirl.

Okay, even without the bias, I still like John Waters' version. Less polished, more fun. And Travolta can't out-Divine Divine.
Old 06-24-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wasn't knocked out by Travolta but he was fine. He was a safe mainstream choice unlike Divine or Harvey Fierstein, and they could market the movie by making people feel nostalgic about Grease.
Old 06-24-08, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I wasn't knocked out by Travolta but he was fine. He was a safe mainstream choice unlike Divine or Harvey Fierstein, and they could market the movie by making people feel nostalgic about Grease.
I love the songs from Grease, but the movie featuring actors who looked nothing like the teenagers they were supposed to be, really annoyed me

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.