Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alone in the Dark-Does anyone actually like it

Old 06-19-08, 10:31 AM
Cool New Member

Alone in the Dark-Does anyone actually like it

I was pondering this question because it seems I'm the only one who truly cares about it. I gave it a 9 out of 10 on IMDB. I liked it for what it was, a dark alien flick that had some bad lines and heavy metal music all the time. Truthfully, i never played the games, I don't really look for much of a plot when it comes to these sort of films. I just look to see if it entertains me, and it did.
Old 06-19-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the earlier horror film about the homicidal maniacs that escape the insane asylum during a power blackout.

"IT'S THE BLEEDER!!!"
Old 06-19-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alone in the Dark movie should've been like the horror game, with Edward Carnby and Emily Hartwood fighting zombies and ancient evil, while solving puzzles and mysteries in a 1920's haunted house setting.
Old 06-19-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
I like the earlier horror film about the homicidal maniacs that escape the insane asylum during a power blackout.

"IT'S THE BLEEDER!!!"
Same here. Never seen the Boll abortion; don't need to. The 1982 version directed by Jack Sholder is pretty fun and, IMO, the only one to watch. Great cast and some good kills.
Old 06-19-08, 02:28 PM

The biggest problem about this movie is that it ISN'T laughably bad. It is, however, painfully boring. I fell asleep about halfway through and have never bothered to go back and see what I missed. All I can remember is that Tara Reid plays a scientist (!)
Old 06-19-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516

"IT'S THE BLEEDER!!!"
Agreed...excellent flick.

The Uwe Boll movie is beyond terrible.
Old 06-19-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am all for mindless fun, but even I did not really care for the film. I own it (blind buy) but it is not a favorite - I doubt I will ever make it back to it again.
Old 06-20-08, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I recently traded for this movie since I couldn't bring myself to pay for it considering its rep. It's the only Boll movie I've seen and based on this one film, I really don't get the whole worst director thing. I thought the movie was pretty enjoyable for what it is. It wasn't the greatest movie on earth, certainly not a 9 out of 10 like the OP said, but it was nowhere near the worst.

I admit it... I liked it.
Old 06-20-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Same here. Never seen the Boll abortion; don't need to. The 1982 version directed by Jack Sholder is pretty fun and, IMO, the only one to watch. Great cast and some good kills.
Yeah, it has two future Oscar winners in there.

And Howlin' Mad Murdock.

Fun movie, and the best kill was as the lunatics were escaping the asylum.

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 06-20-08 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I recently traded for this movie since I couldn't bring myself to pay for it considering its rep. It's the only Boll movie I've seen and based on this one film, I really don't get the whole worst director thing. I thought the movie was pretty enjoyable for what it is. It wasn't the greatest movie on earth, certainly not a 9 out of 10 like the OP said, but it was nowhere near the worst.

I admit it... I liked it.

The best thing about Boll movies are the director commentaries. Seriously, they are awesome.
Old 06-20-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kurt Rose
I gave it a 9 out of 10 on IMDB.
So you really think Alone in the Dark is just one step away from the highest ranking you can give a movie? Really?

Think of the greatest movies of all time. Depending on your tastes, this list might include The Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List, The Silence of the Lambs, Ben Hur, Citizen Kane, or whatever. And you're saying Alone in the Dark is almost as good as them?

Even if we stick with the science fiction/horror genre, there are dozens (hundreds?) of movies better than Alone in the Dark. I'd be hard pressed to think of one I'd rate lower than AitD.

This is why IMDB ratings are useless.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 06-20-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alone in the Dark is one of only 5 or so movies I literally couldn't finish. About 40 minutes in it was so unbelievably stupid that I went and caught up on housework or something. I don't know if it's better or worse that I can't even remember why I hated it so bad.
Old 06-20-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It happens.

Shame too, this was one movie that could have been pretty cool.

What next, "Uwe Boll Presents: The Seventh Guest"? Just completely rape my hope of seeing my favorite "atmospheric" games while growing up turned into decent movies.
Old 06-20-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Damed
The best thing about Boll movies are the director commentaries. Seriously, they are awesome.

I'm assuming you're saying they're laughably bad? I haven't checked out the commentary, but I know what an idiot the guy has made of himself in public forums.
Old 06-20-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
Alone in the Dark movie should've been like the horror game, with Edward Carnby and Emily Hartwood fighting zombies and ancient evil, while solving puzzles and mysteries in a 1920's haunted house setting.
Yea, Alone in the Dark was my favorite game growing up. Pretty sad what happened to the film version. Then again, Resident Evil had more backstory to work with and those movies suck ass compared to what could have been.

The new AITD game that came out a week ago sounds like it kicks ass though.
Old 06-21-08, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hilarious AITD read at

http://www.something awful.com/d/feature-articles/behind-scenes-uwe.php

(Remove the space between 'something' and 'awful')
Old 06-22-08, 01:44 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
So you really think Alone in the Dark is just one step away from the highest ranking you can give a movie? Really?

Think of the greatest movies of all time. Depending on your tastes, this list might include The Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List, The Silence of the Lambs, Ben Hur, Citizen Kane, or whatever. And you're saying Alone in the Dark is almost as good as them?

Even if we stick with the science fiction/horror genre, there are dozens (hundreds?) of movies better than Alone in the Dark. I'd be hard pressed to think of one I'd rate lower than AitD.

This is why IMDB ratings are useless.

Sorry for the rant.
Well, to be fair, a) i'm easily entertained b) i don't play the video games, i love a heavy metal soundtrack, a semi-good plot, and a bunch of meaningless action. btw, realize i'm also 17 and haven't got to see any of the movies you listed. silence, godfather 1 and 2, schindler and raiders i need to see. ben hur bored me.

but, to give all of you a good look at how i rate, go to my voting page

http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=33168110

and also, everyone needs to realize the game that was going to accompany the movie got cancelled, and has now been redone and probably has nothing to do with the plot of the film. i think if the game and movie had came out together like they were supposed to, the movie would have been better.