Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How badly will The Love Guru tank?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How badly will The Love Guru tank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
I'd kill for a new DVD (Blu-ray) of the original Austin Powers featuring the international cut with the Christian Slater scene unavailable in the U.S. It's the only DVD I still have from initially buying a player in 1997.
I have been waiting for new release of the movie since 1999. I finally had to give in and buy the DVD because I had no way to play my VHS tape. Every time one of its lame sequels came out I was *praying* for a new release...nada.

At least it was put into a keepcase, instead of that crappy ass snapper case (remember those?).
Old 06-23-08, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this week has taught us that Meyers and M. Knight should both strongly consider doing other peoples material from now on.
Old 06-23-08, 06:43 PM

If you believe the gossip going around the usually channels today, Myers' preoccupation with male genitalia suddenly makes a lot more sense
Old 06-23-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry but I've never found Mike Myers funny...in anything. He's just not funny.
Old 06-23-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BJacks
I've always thought I'd look cute as a redhead.
that IMDB pic proves you to be correct...
Old 08-21-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife and I had a few hours to kill while my daughter was at an Irish Dance class last night, and it turns out there's a $1 theater down the street. It was the only movie starting relatively soon, so we thought "what the hell, why not?" I honestly thought it would be somewhat funny, maybe with just a lot of rehashing of Austin Powers jokes, etc.

GOOD LORD, was I wrong. It was likely one of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen, and I'm a pretty big fan of Mike Myers. It was JUST NOT FUNNY. I know it is a weird thing to say about a comedy, but it seemed to be very poorly edited. There was never anything explained about why a midget would be a coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Jessica Alba was just reading her lines, and MM was just NOT funny. And it was laughable to me that JA was "hated" in Toronto. Their team was in the Stanley Cup Finals, and they dump drinks on her, yell at her, etc. It just made no sense. The only MILDLY redeeming factor of the movie was actually Justin Timberlake, who I actually am not a huge fan of - he was actually pretty funny. But for GOD's SAKE, PLEASE do not take a chance on this movie, if you're thinking about it when it comes on dvd. Please don't make the same mistake I did. I'm just trying to help the community with my outreach program - avoid this stinker at all costs. It really is worse than I can even express. I just want to pretend I never saw it...
Old 08-21-08, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by modfather
Please don't make the same mistake I did. I'm just trying to help the community with my outreach program - avoid this stinker at all costs. It really is worse than I can even express. I just want to pretend I never saw it...
Step right up... http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=538155
Old 08-22-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
For me Mike Myers is the same as Eddie Murphy....a guy who when he was most popular i thought was below average and generally unfunny and who i now believe is a cancerous growth in society that tries to suck away money from the paying public with shitty movies. He comes across as a self important dick (Eddie again) who takes themselves very seriously and truly believes that they have to suffer for their art. My question is....why do we have to suffer for your art as well? I am so happy that most of his movies bomb these days, and i just wish that parents would stop being cruel to their children and taking them to see those god awful Shrek movies. The sooner this mans career (and Eddies) just completely goes away the better. We live in a world where people assassinate artists who have genuine talent and yet arseholes like this get to keep on serving their trash.
Old 08-22-08, 12:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by james2025a
For me Mike Myers is the same as Eddie Murphy....a guy who when he was most popular i thought was below average and generally unfunny and who i now believe is a cancerous growth in society that tries to suck away money from the paying public with shitty movies. He comes across as a self important dick (Eddie again) who takes themselves very seriously and truly believes that they have to suffer for their art. My question is....why do we have to suffer for your art as well? I am so happy that most of his movies bomb these days, and i just wish that parents would stop being cruel to their children and taking them to see those god awful Shrek movies. The sooner this mans career (and Eddies) just completely goes away the better. We live in a world where people assassinate artists who have genuine talent and yet arseholes like this get to keep on serving their trash.
Although Eddie was very funny very early in his career, I cannot recall Mike ever being funny.
Old 08-22-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
There was never anything explained about why a midget would be a coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Midget is a derogatory term and implying that a midget holding a good job requires some sort of explanation is insulting as well.
Old 08-22-08, 12:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Nesbit
Midget is a derogatory term and implying that a midget holding a good job requires some sort of explanation is insulting as well.
Old 08-22-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
You know, Little People can find work at places other than Skywalker Ranch.
Old 08-22-08, 01:45 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
You know, Little People can find work at places other than Skywalker Ranch.
right, but I'm sure Troyer's character in the movie is completely unrealistic.
Old 08-22-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Once again, Political Correctness rears its ugly head. Yes, "LP's" can hold regular jobs, but I seriously doubt they would have a tiny office, with a tiny desk, tiny items on the desk, with five foot ceilings. Trust me, it sounds funnier than it is.

And thank God for the Skywalker Ranch! Lots of job opportunities!
Old 08-22-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was never anything explained about why a midget would be a coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Perhaps he got his start in Pee Wee Hockey?
Old 11-03-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Time to resurrect this thread now that the DVD is out. I saw this last night and was amazed at how Myers could regurgitate stupid sayings from little kids and try to build a mainstream movie around it. I didn't totally hate it. There were a few humerous moments. But most of it was such a waste of time.

The only redeeming quality of this movie was Jessica Alba in the Bollywood scene. I never thought that much of her, but her looks are really growing on me. Everytime I see her she seems more attractive. In this movie she seems particulary vulnerable. And since the only way I can get a woman these days is if she's vulnerable or passed out drunk, vulnerable is very hot!
Old 11-03-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be honest, I wasn't much of a Jessica Alba fan either, but three cheers for her in this turd-pile! She can't act for shit, but she's easy on the eyes in this one!

I found it hilarious that all of the fans of the hockey team hated her and dumped drinks on her, etc. Yeah, like some moron at a hockey game would dump his beer on Jessica Alba. Well, maybe if he was aiming for her T-Shirt.

I absolutely hated this caca-poopoo movie. And for those of you who were coming to Verne Troyer's defense as a LP working in a regular job, I highly doubt he'd also have tiny furniture, 5" ceilings, and tiny items on his tiny desk. However, he did prove his coaching prowess by saying things to his team like: "Now win!" or "Go get 'em!"
Old 11-04-08, 04:44 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only bit that was funny to me was "marisa hargitay".
Old 11-04-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperJim88
The only bit that was funny to me was "marisa hargitay".
Actually the extras had a bunch of Jim Gaffigan and Stephen Colbert and that was some pretty funny stuff.