Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Get Smart - movie

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Unlike Mike Meyers, who's ego has apparently taken over him, Carell is seems to be a pretty solid and grounded guy. He's all over co-starring in the next "Anchorman" movie. Co-starring, not headlining. You don't see that much from an actor once he's had his kind of success. Only in an indie movie.

Back to Barbara Feldon. He's a recent picture of her. I believe she's 71 years old. Would have been kind of cute had she played 99's mom.

Old 06-23-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This wasn't as bad as I expected. It of course pales in comparison with the original series, but it could have been a lot worse.
Old 06-24-08, 10:01 AM

I just hope the success of this film greenlights my dream movie: "Sledge Hammer!" starring Greg Kinnear.
Old 06-25-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really enjoyed this last night... even had a decent crowd for a Tuesday evening (of course schools out now).

Liked all the nods to the series...especially when Carell uses all the museum items, nice they could work the old school stuff in.

Hope this does well enough for a sequel.

And yes, Hathaway makes a 'nice' 99 !
Old 06-26-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pretty good movie, Steve Carell did a fantastic job, so did Anne Hathaway. She was smoking hot too. lots of laughs, towards the end i did feel the movie went down hill during the "traidor stuff" but movie rebounded after that.

8/10
Old 06-26-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I finally saw "Get Smart" and found it to be pretty entertaining, mainly on the strength of the burgeoning chemistry between Max and Agent 99, and some funnily executed spy gag sequences that produced some good laughs from me. I don't have much attachment to the old series, so less baggage for me to lay at the movie's doorsteps.

Steve Carell did a good job balancing Max's over-eagerness with his analytical smarts in his new role as field agent, while Anne Hathaway was pretty hot and exceptionally competent as Agent 99, and yet somewhat vulnerable when the script required it of her.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 06-27-08, 04:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the original series, and of Steve Carell. However, the trailers and clips I saw of this looked absolutely awful. I expected to dislike this immensely.

I was pleasantly surprised. Overall a very enjoyable film, filled with more LOL moments than any comedy I've seen in years. I loved the cameos and references to the original.
Old 07-04-08, 05:09 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Just curious what, what do you think could have been better? I agree it wasn't great. But explained why above. I thought it had a very bumpy start. Maybe the first 15 minutes. Possibly 30. Nothing seemed to be working. The jokes were weak and not enough of them. I saw a matinee on Friday with where the theater was about 75% full, and no one was laughing. I thought "Uh oh, not a good sign". But then, it really picked up. And the audience really seemed to enjoy it. AND...many people applauded at the end of the movie. You don't see that often at a comedy. Had the beginning been stronger, and maybe the Rock in it more, my rating would definitely had been higher. Still, I'm recommending it to friends who have similar taste as me.
I just got back from seeing a matinee of this today (yup, instead of the 7/4 tent pole "Hancock") and I was pleasantly surprised.

I have to agree with Daytripper completely. For the first 30 minutes, it was quite quiet, with only a few chuckles here and there, but then once Max got Agent 86 status, the laughs started coming (especially noticeable when he was overhearing the conversation in the bathroom).

By the end of the film there were people applauding too (me included).

It was light, fresh, never took itself seriously, although I probably could have lived without seeing the "butt" of that last joke.

I give the movie a B, and will probably buy it on BD.

... but I do have to say one thing, I still have a hard time differentiating Steve Carrell from Michael Scott. I had that problem with Evan Almighty. No matter what the character's name or occupation, it was Michael Scott as "Evan Baxter" and even in this film, there were sometimes glimses of Michael Scott as "Maxwell Smart" (like the scene when he thought he was in a cone-of-silence). Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
Old 07-06-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Anne Hathaway's legs are reason enough for Blu-ray
Old 07-07-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This was a perfect example of how to do a remake of a great old show. I had to go to 2 theaters as the first was sold out as was the second after we got in. Applause and laughter in the theater. Respectful of the source. 86 and 99 were great characters. Will definitly see this again.
Old 07-07-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Went with a group of friends to the movies this weekend and no one had seen this but me, so I saw it again. I enjoyed it even more the second time around. And upgrade my rating from 6 to 7 out of 10. I know, not much. But it's really a fun film. And they looked like they were having a blast making it.
Old 07-13-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Getting back to the actual movie...

Just got back from seeing this movie and we really enjoyed it. It will definately be a purchase for me at some point.

Things I didn't like:

In the TV show, Maxwell Smart was really an incompetent that got things done by accident, that was the comedy of it. It was a less sophisticated version of the Pink Panther films. Agent 99 was the one saving his pride and his skin. It used some wild gimmicks that today are commonplace ie. shoephone. Other than the airplane bathroom scene they showed Maxwell as being pretty smart and competent. I would have liked to see more of that slapstick humor.

I'm sorry but even with the ridiculous backstory, Anne Hathaway is way too young for Steve Carrell. He's got 20 years on her and it showed, the kissing scene looked like father daughter.

Things I liked:

This movie is funny. Anne Hathaway is friggin HOT. The Rock is funny given how little he has to do. Steve Carrell makes being funny look effortless.

B+