Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
So is it Kurt in the block of ice as a child? Can't think of another mutant that has one blue and one green eye off the top of my head. And is it assumed that the other little girl is Ororo?
Spoiled just in case from Wikipedia -

Spoiler:
The film includes numerous cameo appearances of younger versions of characters from the previous films, including Cyclops (Tim Pocock), a Weapon X captive;[19] Jason Stryker, William's lobotomized telepathic son who he keeps on ice; and Storm appears as a toddler. New characters include Emma Frost and Banshee, who are Weapon X captives.
So it looks like Stryker's son, which I think is cool that they use after seeing him in X2.
Old 12-17-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Silverfox is the other girl they show throughout the trailer. Emma Frost is definitely the blonde that changes into ice/diamond.
Emma Frost I think is one of the most powerful mutants in the X-universe. Is she a good girl/bad girl in the upcoming movie?
Old 12-17-08, 02:32 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Deadpool was?

I thought weapon X = Sabertooth, Omega Red, Maverrick, Wolverine and Silver Fox.

Didn't know Deadpool was in it.
He is/was. Deadpool was the last comic book character I got into before I got too busy with school and fell out of reading comics. He's a great character, and absolutely hilarious.
Old 12-17-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice. Very Cool, I always liked Deadpool. His main nemesis was Cable right? or was that Domino? I forget.
Old 12-17-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Nice. Very Cool, I always liked Deadpool. His main nemesis was Cable right? or was that Domino? I forget.
I think at one point they were, but eventually Deadpool and Cable had a buddy comic for a few years.
Old 12-17-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts
Yeah, the character relationships were constantly in flux. I remember for the longest time it was always Wolverine vs. Sabretooth then (around 2001, I think) it was suddenly Gambit vs. Sabretooth. I'm guessing they're using that partcular arc to fit Gambit into the movie.

Anyone else get the feeling that, although this film deals with Wolverine's origin (and thus features Storm, Cyclops, and Jason as kids), the film's climax (and all the Gambit scenes) will take place post X-Men: The Last Stand? If not, there can be no resolution the conflic between Wolverine and Sabretooth since the Canucklehead didn't recognize Sabretooth in X-Men and he clearly didn't die from that blast he got from Cyclops. If it didn't play that way, this film would have no conflict resolution and it would be utterly pointless to focus so much on their emnity.
Old 12-17-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think so... I think it can be self contained without needing to explain Sabretooth in the first X-Men film, and considering the comic history I don't think it needs a real resolution. I can easily see it concluding with a lot of his memories being destroyed and forgetting who a lot of these characters were that he met in the past.
Old 12-17-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
You can go here to download the 1080p trailer for the PS3.

..and under further investigation, yep, the trailer still kicks ass.
Thanks for that. The video quality of the trailer was outstanding! But did you notice that when Wolverine gets shot in the head on the Myspace version of the trailer, you can clearly see a bit of his adamantium skull as his forehead heals but in the 1080p version he's completely uninjured by the headshot?

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-17-08 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think so... I think it can be self contained without needing to explain Sabretooth in the first X-Men film, and considering the comic history I don't think it needs a real resolution. I can easily see it concluding with a lot of his memories being destroyed and forgetting who a lot of these characters were that he met in the past.
I don't mean a definitive conclusion. I seriously doubt they'll kill Sabretooth off (though they did have Wolverine kill Deathstrike in X2 so we can't be limited by comic book logic/continuity) but I suspect the present day will be used as a framing device for this story. That is why I suspect that the last scene in the trailer is after Logan's memories have been restored. Afterall, Sabretooth did seem fixated on Wolverine in X-Men even though Wolverine clearly had no idea who the hell he was.

Let's also not forget that in X2 Magneto let Wolverine know that the Prosessor knew who Logan truly was (and Magneto also spoke to that effect during his prior conversation with Xavier in the same film). Add to that when Jean/Phoenix let Logan know, in X-Men: The Last Stand, that the Professor was messing with his mind, I wouldn't be suprised if the bulk of this new film is his old memories flooding back.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-17-08 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe, I just don't understand how the movie would have, as you said, "no conflict resolution" if it took place prior to X-Men in it's entirety. I just don't think it needs to act like the score is settled between Wolverine and Sabretooth.

Here are direct downloads for the Quicktime if anyone still wanted them. I didn't really like having to find something to play .mp4's on my PC

http://largeassets.myspacecdn.com/cr...3679_1080p.mov
http://largeassets.myspacecdn.com/cr...43679_720p.mov
http://largeassets.myspacecdn.com/cr...43679_480p.mov
Old 12-17-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome trailer. The new Sabretooth is better than the old one.
Old 12-17-08, 09:25 PM

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,164 Posts
I haven't watched X-Men in a long time, but does anyone actually call Sabertooth by his name? I mean, I suppose couldn't he technically be a nameless stooge that's like Sabertooth?
Old 12-17-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome trailer. I keep forgetting this movie is coming out, but I hope it delivers like it looks like it can.
Old 12-17-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I haven't watched X-Men in a long time, but does anyone actually call Sabertooth by his name? I mean, I suppose couldn't he technically be a nameless stooge that's like Sabertooth?
Professor X identifies him by name during his first conversation with Wolverine. It happens just before Cyclops and Storm enter the room.
Old 12-18-08, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm honestly not that big a fan of Wolverine, but the trailer looks good. I'm more excited about the fact that Gambit and Deadpool are in this movie; that will bring me to theaters to see it. I thought the X-Men Trilogy dropped the ball on not including Gambit before. I hope including Deadpool is a move to give him his own movie. I don't think they'll do that for Gambit though, but it would be cool if they did.
Old 12-18-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I thought the trailer looked was pretty damn good... Im in the minority due to the fact that I loathe Gambit, but really excited about Deadpool and think they nailed the casting with everyone.
I hate Gambit, too.

It looks like they tried to cram too many mutants into the damn thing. The Blob - wtf?

Is the whole movie supposed to be a period piece or not? Because it sure as hell doesn't look like it.
Old 12-18-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by B.A.
I hate Gambit, too.

It looks like they tried to cram too many mutants into the damn thing. The Blob - wtf?

Is the whole movie supposed to be a period piece or not? Because it sure as hell doesn't look like it.
What do you mean period piece? I imagine a small portion of the film will be Wolverine's origin 100 years ago and show glimpses of some history (hence showing him as a child, fighting in wars), but i'm sure they'll move towards the 20th century pretty quickly for the Weapon X stuff.
Old 12-18-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
What do you mean period piece?
Not in the present (or the very recent past).

Some of the props/costumes (vehicles/clothing/tech) looked too new/modern.
Old 12-18-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
I don't think so..?
Old 12-18-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Where is Emma Frost? I think she's only in the wide group shot at 0:37 (trailer is 2:22)
Old 12-18-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
Where is Emma Frost? I think she's only in the wide group shot at 0:37 (trailer is 2:22)
I think someone mentioned that she was the one that turned into diamonds?
Old 12-20-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's the Wolverine trailer for dummies. A shot-by-shot analysis. Here.
Old 01-16-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Wolverine - Solo

Well, this can't be good. Reshoots are taking place.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news09/090116i.php

And it seems they want to tone it down to be more kid-friendly.
Old 01-16-09, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure I completely believe that part about making it kid-friendly. I would think with the popularity of The Dark Knight they would aim for a darker, edgier movie, not something made for kids.
Old 01-16-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What exactly was this nightmare that the director had while filming? What exactly didn't go smoothly?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.