Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shia Vs Tom Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Shia hate reminds me of when DiCaprio's career took off...seemed to be really popular to hate on the guy for no good reason.
Old 06-14-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Shia. I always liked him on Even Stevens quite possibly the only show on the Disney channel that I could actually sit through.

I think he's a decent actor. It's easy to hate on him because he's being groomed for super stardom without actually having to earn it.
Old 06-14-08, 12:51 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
there's something appealing about Shia. whether or not he's a "great actor" really hasn't been tested, so I think some people should cut him some slack. but this is the internet, so fuck that, right?
Old 06-14-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 157 Posts
Seems like he's (or his agents) are going the Orlando Bloom route - just keep putting him in really big movies where he's not really a factor in their success.
Old 07-27-08, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Barings
Trust me when I tell you that we're going to see a lot more asshat-ery (is that even a word?) from LaBeouf before the decade is over. If not, I may be able to garner some degree of tolerance of him.
Wow, I should have said summer instead of decade.
Old 11-27-08, 06:07 AM
Suspended

I think he's going Will Smith's route morso being in big movies then letting the momentum carry him.
Old 11-27-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Seems like he's (or his agents) are going the Orlando Bloom route - just keep putting him in really big movies where he's not really a factor in their success.
At least Shia shows some personality in his roles. Bloom could easily be replaced by a cardboard cutout in Pirates or LOTR.
Old 11-27-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Neeb
Uh, yeah. Something tells me Anthony Daniels in six Star Wars movies beats them all.
Yeah, but who do you match him up with...Johnny Five?
Old 11-27-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bee_01
The Shia hate reminds me of when DiCaprio's career took off...seemed to be really popular to hate on the guy for no good reason.
The difference between the two is that LaBeouf has yet to show us he can actually act.
Old 11-27-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
The difference between the two is that LaBeouf has yet to show us he can actually act.
Yeah, DiCaprio had Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries under his belt by the time he was Shia's age.
Old 11-27-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah, DiCaprio had Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries under his belt by the time he was Shia's age.
Don't forget This Boy's Life as well.
Old 11-27-08, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Agreed. Shia uses the same shtick for all of his films, no matter what the role is. I think that even Justin Long is a better actor than him.
Old 11-27-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
Agreed. Shia uses the same shtick for all of his films, no matter what the role is. I think that even Justin Long is a better actor than him.
Ouch!
Old 11-27-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Eyes Wide Shut
Magnolia
Rain Main
The Color of Money
Interview

No fuckin' contest
And I am not a big fan of Tom Cruise.
Old 11-27-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222
Interview
....with Oprah? Yeah, definitely one of his finest performances.
Old 11-27-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts
Like him or hate him, Shia has headlined "Disturbia" and "Eagle Eye" to big (although not ginourmous) box office results. On the other hand, "Transformers" and "Indy IV" would have been massive regardless of his presence.

Cruise is in a league of his own, proven millions of asses-in-seats over the course of 25 years... Shia's got a long way to go to bank that kind of box office credibility. At the very least, he's off to a really good start.

Katherine Heigl is beautiful but she comes off as condescending and a bit ****y. How that will translate into longterm star power, who knows.

Reese Witherspoon has made some hits but she's not completely reliable. "Rendition", anyone? "Just Like Heaven"?

Does anyone remember when they were hoisting up Demi Moore as a HUGE box office draw of the 90s, when people suddenly realized that her huge hits were those in which she was in the girlfriend/wife role to a more established star?

And what about Jeff Schwartz?
Old 11-29-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
what's Shia done besides Transformers and Indy? not an entirely serious question as he's obviously done other stuff, but those are likely the only two a joe six pack could name
and Indy doesn't count because he had little or nothing to do with the box office on that
Old 11-29-08, 05:50 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Reese Witherspoon has made some hits but she's not completely reliable. "Rendition", anyone? "Just Like Heaven"?
I'd say it's fair to mention Just Like Heaven, but Rendition? It wasn't really promoted as a Reese Witherspoon movie, that's for sure.
Old 11-29-08, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikehunt
what's Shia done besides Transformers and Indy? not an entirely serious question as he's obviously done other stuff, but those are likely the only two a joe six pack could name
and Indy doesn't count because he had little or nothing to do with the box office on that
Most young adults around my age remember him from "Holes". Which is an awesome movie.