Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Boy A (Crowley, 2008) — BAFTA winner Andrew Garfield's debut as former child criminal

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Boy A (Crowley, 2008) — BAFTA winner Andrew Garfield's debut as former child criminal

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Boy A | HD Trailer | IMDB | Release: 23 July 2008

Via Cinematical:

Featuring terrific performances from Andrew Garfield (especially) and Peter Mullan, Boy A tells the story of Jack; a wounded soul who, at 24, is released from prison after serving time for a horrible crime he committed with a friend at the age of 10. Mullan plays the kid's councilor Terry; in charge of basically setting him up in a new town, with a new name and new goals to protect Jack from those who want him either dead or back in jail. Jack slowly begins to build a new life for himself; he excels at his job, makes some good friends and falls in love -- however, hidden deep inside him is a secret he can't afford to let out. Can he continue on as is, or will the truth eventually find its own brutal way of catching up to him?

Boy A is one heckuva powerful flick (shot and edited beautifully) that creeps up on you as the drama slowly unfolds. I have no problem giving this one a strong recommendation; it hits theaters in limited release on July 23.
This looks great. I hope it's not an extremely limited release.
Old 06-09-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this in Toronto last year and it was by far my favorite film at the festival. Watching this is an emotional experience. I've never felt an entire theater too moved to applaud for the first few seconds after the film and then applauding loudly. I saw this film with no knowledge of the plot which helped my appreciation. You really don't want to know where the plot is taking you.

After seeing the movie, I read the novel and it is also good. The filmmakers stayed very true to the book.
Old 10-07-08, 09:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Wow! I just saw this film, i am dead tired, but had to post. this was one of the best, unnerving and heartbreaking films i've seen in a longtime and i just saw "Snow Angels" (which was incredible too).

Andrew Garfield gave an Oscar winning performance imo. he was utterly mesmerizing and devastating at the same time.

terrific, amazing movie that should not be missed by people who love film!

rent it, do what you have to, but you will nto be disappointed with this magnificent piece of cinema.
Old 10-08-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is in my BB queue. With all the good words about it, I think I'll move it up.