Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Yahoo users rank top 30 animated films of all time

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Yahoo users rank top 30 animated films of all time

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mordred
Considering how Williams' film was completely screwed, was in development for something like 30 years, and then was dumped in theaters in an aborted form, it's not really that surprising. I haven't seen the film, but I've heard it's quite impressive.
You're right, it's not really surprising at all. It's definitely more of a cult movie for animators. I guess I shouldn't expect anyone to have heard of it, for the reasons you mentioned.

Check out the 2007 "recobbled" cut if you ever do decide to see it. The animation is exquisite, though there are some questionable scenes.
Old 06-05-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Ghost in the Shell
Thank you!

If Gits could be judged on its technical merits alone (nevermind the impact it had on anime's increased popularity in the west) it would easily be on any top 20 list.
Old 06-05-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
No Urotsukidōji = no sale!

Old 06-05-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Infidel
Here's the list:

30. Bambi
29. Jungle Book
28. Sleeping Beauty
27. Over The Hedge
26. The Simpsons Movie
25. Ice Age II: The Meltdown
24. Ice Age
23. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
22. Howl's Moving Castle
21. Mulan
20. Peter Pan
19. Horton Hears A Who
18. Lady and the Tramp
17. The Nightmare Before Christmas
16. Princess Mononoke
15. Cinderella
14. The Little Mermaid
13. Enchanted
12. Shrek 2
11. Cars
10. Monsters, Inc.
9. Sprited Away
8. Aladdin
7. Beauty and the Beast
6. Toy Story
5. Ratatouille
4. Shrek
3. The Incredibles
2. The Lion King
1. Finding Nemo

I wasn't surprised about Finding Nemo, but seeing Enchanted in the list was a little of a surprise, since so little of it was actually animated.

Thoughts?
Yeah... I don't think much of the opinions of Yahoo users.

For a list in no particular order it's not bad, but if it's meant to represent best being number one and going down from there then it is in serious need of rearrangement.
Old 06-05-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with those who say that Akira is influential but a failure, and Iron Giant should be represented somewhere. Am I the only one who likes South Park: BLU to put it in my top 30?
Old 06-05-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Heavy Metal

It's the first title I think of when I see a top animated movies list.

I don't think it's necessarily the best, but it's damned entertaining and pretty darned cool!
Old 06-05-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also... any list that doesn't have the top 10 to 20 spots dominated by Disney and/or Pixar titles is seriously out of touch with reality. They are the "gold standard" of animation past and animation present. IMHO.

Dreamworks (minus Ardman stuff) is a shipwreck for the most part. Take out the pop culture references and the Disney bashing from any Shrek, and what have you got? Oh yeah, they're funny, but still...

And, if they aren't bashing Disney, they appear to be slavishly imitating them. What was the point of El Dorado or Sinbad? Or Prince of Egypt for that matter. Why animate the 10 Commandments?

Or Anastasia? Yeah... I know that one wasn't Dreamworks, but my point being why use the wonder, beauty and richness of animation on such mundane stories... particularly stories that have already been told with live action... and much better at that. What a waste of time and effort.

And if you think my taste is too limited, I saw most everything by Bakshi... when it was originally released in theaters. Most anima appears to be severely lacking... IMHO Akira is way overrated and Castle in the Sky was a big disappointment, but I was absolutely delighted by Kiki's Delivery Service. Go figure.

As for stop motion and claymation, it could be said that I worship at the alters of Harryhausen, Burton, Sellick, Ardman and Vinton. AFAIC, there shouldn't even be a comparison between them and traditional cel or CG animation. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Just my 2¢
Old 06-05-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How could it be a Top 30 and not include this masterpiece?

Old 06-05-08, 10:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Kirikou and the Sorceress
Mind Game
Akira
Dumbo
Princess Mononoke
Forbidden Planet
Grave of the Fireflies
Pom Poko
Porco Rocco
Kiki's Delivery Service
Triplets of Belleville
The Iron Giant
My Neighbor Totoro
The Adventures of Mark Twain (claymation)
Gertie the Dinosaur (Winsor McKay)
Les Maitres Du Temps (The Time Masters)
Fritz the Cat
Alladin
Pinocchio
The Lady and the Tramp
if you can see it in the theatre or on DVD, I strongly recommend you see the 2005 sequel Kirikou and the Wild Beasts
Old 06-05-08, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Agree with those who say that Akira is influential but a failure, and Iron Giant should be represented somewhere. Am I the only one who likes South Park: BLU to put it in my top 30?
no... here too ...

and what no: Yellow Submarine, Watership Down, Twice Upon A Time, The Last Unicorn, A Boy Named Charlie Brown, Snoopy Come Home, or even the puppetry of Thunderbirds are GO!, Team America: World Police or Kihachiro Kawamoto's 2005 film 'Book of the Dead'?

Last edited by Giles; 06-05-08 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by kstublen
AOL's list is MUCH better IMHO. I still think Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and The Land Before Time definitely should have been on there, but there are probably those that disagree with me.
Have you seen the Land Before Time recently? You may think of it fondly but I don't think it holds up all that well. I've seen it a bunch recently (my 3 y.o. daughter loves it), and everything about it is pretty mediocre. The animation, the story, the voice acting, etc. There really isn't anything special about it at all. It just came along at the right time while Disney was in the dumps. Same with an American Tail.

Why the hell is Shrek so high on all these lists? I'll give you the fact that it is the most successful non Disney animated flick, but that doesn't make it good in the least. Take out all the lame pop culture references (that are already outdated, mind you) and you have a shell of a movie. Again, this movie just came along at the right time.
Old 06-05-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
" A Charlie Brown Christmas" isn't on there?...

fuck...

no "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer"?...

shit...
As great as both of those are, in my world those were TV specials not films.
Old 06-05-08, 11:19 PM

I have a fondness for the 1977 "Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure" - which has a great score from Sesame Street's Joe Raposo

even though flawed - there's some charm to "Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland" (the film sadly was cut for it's American release and was shorn of some pretty intense scenes that would have pushed the film into the PG rated realm.)

Last edited by Giles; 06-05-08 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
I am the only one who thought the movie was visually amazing, but an absolute fucking mess otherwise? Alas.

Waking Life was infinitely superior.

I don't get the love for Akira, either. Influential, yes, but as a piece of storytelling it's an absolute failure. There are worlds of better anime out there. CASTLE IN THE SKY is 1000X better.

No Dumbo, No Fantasia, No sale...
different strokes for different folks - I thought Waking Life was a pretentious ego-tistical head fuck of a film - I soooo wanted to walk out on the film.
Old 06-05-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Why the hell is Shrek so high on all these lists? I'll give you the fact that it is the most successful non Disney animated flick, but that doesn't make it good in the least. Take out all the lame pop culture references (that are already outdated, mind you) and you have a shell of a movie. Again, this movie just came along at the right time.
I disagree, I think Shrek holds up just fine and knock on the series for pop culture references has been exaggerated greatly since the 2nd and 3rd in the series are worse in that regard. The first did a better job of the twisted fairy tale aspect.
Old 06-05-08, 11:36 PM

I hate to admit this since I'm a Bill Plympton fan but I haven't seen his feature length animated features:

- The Tune (1992)
- Hair High (2004)
Old 06-06-08, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Michael Corvin]Have you seen the Land Before Time recently? You may think of it fondly but I don't think it holds up all that well. I've seen it a bunch recently (my 3 y.o. daughter loves it), and everything about it is pretty mediocre. The animation, the story, the voice acting, etc. There really isn't anything special about it at all. It just came along at the right time while Disney was in the dumps. Same with an American Tail. /QUOTE]

Yes I have. I saw it just about a month ago, and it was just as good as I remember it. I can understand why people wouldn't agree, but I think it is one of the best animated movies of our time.
Old 06-06-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GILES,
Thanks, but I saw Kirikou and the Wild Beasts - it was okay. Same with Azur et Asmar, just okay...Actually, if I had to update my list, I would also add Ocelot's Princes and Princesses. That and Kirikou and the Sorceress are his two best films...
Old 06-06-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Seconded on Akira.
Old 06-06-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I disagree, I think Shrek holds up just fine and knock on the series for pop culture references has been exaggerated greatly since the 2nd and 3rd in the series are worse in that regard. The first did a better job of the twisted fairy tale aspect.
Holding up fine and belonging in the top 5 of all-time animated flicks are two totally different discussions.
Old 06-06-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Eh, I just used that phrase because everyone talks about it's gags being outdated. It's still funny, the animation still looks good, and I enjoy the heck out of it. There's no way it should be in a Top 5 list (I don't see how Disney, Pixar, and probably a Miyazaki film aren't taking up those spots) but it would probably make my top 10 or 15.
Old 06-06-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

There you go. I can go with that. I'd say it does has a place in the top 25, albeit closer to 25 than 5.
Old 06-06-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
If ENCHANTED qualifies, why no love for:

Old 06-06-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's a really cool poster.
Old 06-06-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If ENCHANTED qualifies, why no love for:

That's what I said. I put it in my Top 30. Don't get me wrong, I love Enchanted, but I don't think I can classify it as a cartoon, whereas Who Framed Roger Rabbit has animation throughout.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.