Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just watched Mulholland Dr. for the first time...garbage

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just watched Mulholland Dr. for the first time...garbage

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
I don't precisely agree with you RichC2.

Spoiler:
I think the dream part of the film is a death dream.

Yeah, that's the one my friend goes with. Good ol' open to interpretation.
Old 05-27-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
I don't understand that logic at all. How is something that makes no sense enjoyable? Sure, you can appreciate a movie from a technical perspective (good camera work, creative editing etc...) but if you are not involved in the story, it makes the movie as a whole come across as pointless.
Because art elicits an emotional reaction (whether overwhelming or subtle, negative or positive) that can be mutually exclusive from the story being told.

In regards to Mulholland Dr., I think Lynch's subconscious road-maps are quite navigable, if one looks past the story. There is an assured rhyming and resonance the director brings to all his works.
Old 05-27-08, 01:57 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In regards to Mulholland Dr., I think Lynch's subconscious road-maps are quite navigable, if one looks past the story.
Yes, happyg, you need to look past how crappy the movie is so you can 'appreciate' it.

Old 05-27-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
If you hated this I cant imagine how much you would hate Inland Empire.
I loved Mulholland Dr.

I absolutely hated Inland Empire.
Old 05-27-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I'm just pissed there are no chapter stops.

Old 05-27-08, 02:40 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't get where the confusion sinks in, at all. It's been a couple years since I've seen the movie so I may be a little rusty, but I don't recall it being particularly muddled. Yeah, I was confused the second it ended but it isn't horrifyingly complex. Or are you that hung up on the old couple and creepy dude in the alley way?
That's basically how I remember it, not having seen it in a few years. It's not that complicated at all, really. Phenomenal movie, too.
Old 05-27-08, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
Yes, happyg, you need to look past how crappy the movie is so you can 'appreciate' it.
Apparently, the only element at work in any movie is the story...
Old 05-27-08, 04:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Explain this then:
Picture of the penguin in Billy Madison
I would like an explanation of this, too. The movie just doesn't make any sense because of the scene (or scenes?) involving the giant penguin.
Old 05-27-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Billy got too much sun and hallucinated the penguin...pretty darn simple
Old 05-27-08, 04:32 PM
Suspended

i would recommend Eraserhead

it's kind of like a cross between 12 Angry Men, Point Break and Babe: Pig In The City.

give it a shot
Old 05-27-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I find Mulholland Dr. to be one of Lynch's most enjoyable films for the first 2/3. Then it goes batshit insane I guess but it still works and is interesting and never dull. It also is scary as shit and I would say its one of the most disturbing/scary films Ive ever seen (Lost Highway is up there on this scale as well).
You do know that Mulholland Drive was actually the pilot for a television show, don't you?

Mulholland Drive was filmed with the intention that it would be a television series. When the series wasn't picked up, Lynch shot a new ending and made it into a feature film.

So that's why, in the first hour or so of the movie, you have all of these characters and events that have little or nothing to do with the overall plot of the film.

Ultimately, I think Mulholland Drive suffers because of this. Lynch basically took one completed (and open-ended) product and turned it into something else. MD would have been a much better film if Lynch had taken on the project as a movie and not a pilot.
Old 05-27-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll buy anyone saying it's garbage if they can competently explain what happened.

I swear after the 5th viewing I had this entire movie figured out...the next morning it was gone. Damn you, Lynch!

BTW my second favorite Lynch film behind Dune, though they're not even really comparable in approach or structure. Nothing tops TP though.
Old 05-27-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
They represented her past coming back to haunt her.

Honestly, without delving too far into a discussion that will probably confuse you, it's obvious you don't like to have to think about a film in order to understand it. You want Lynch to have someone pop up on screen to explain everything so you can feel satisfied at the end of the film.

You know why Happy Gilmore makes sense? Because a single sentence can describe the film to anyone that's never seen it; Mulholland Dr. could have a thesis written about it. I think it's a phenomenal movie and the thinking you have to do with the clues you're given only makes the reward of watching it that much sweeter. I love it when someone says they hated it because they don't get it.
Excellent post. This is also a film I love, SORT OF understand, but still love to pop in and watch every now and then to look for new things.
Old 05-27-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recommend Elvis on black velvet rather than the Mona Lisa to the OP.
Old 05-27-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate when people try to explain Mulholland Dr. and Blue Velvet in terms of extended dream sequences. I don't think Lynch would go for something that cheap. I take his films to be essays in symbolism more than narratives.
Old 05-27-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a little too heavily suggested in Mulholland Dr. And, in its case, is hardly cheap.

Never heard of it for Blue Velvet. Though I have heard it suggested for Lost Highway.

Lynch is a a huge fan of The Wizard of Oz, and that, if nothing else, at least shows he's more than open to extended dream sequences.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-27-08 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 10:49 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sundog
Apparently, the only element at work in any movie is the story...
My comment was just a joke but even a good story with unlikeable characters(drug addicts, prostitutes etc...) to me is a bad movie.
Old 05-28-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's a little too heavily suggested in Mulholland Dr. And, in its case, is hardly cheap.
I think the use of dream sequences is inherently cheap -- (1) it's an easy out, because you can do all sorts of unexpected things and then say, "Psych! That never happened. All that seemingly inexplicable stuff I set up, I don't have to explain it," and (2) it's often built upon laughable dime-store psycho-analysis. The dream interpretation of Mulholland Dr. is guilty of both those things.

I'd rather view the film as a straight fantasy than a load of pop-psychology claptrap.

Never heard of it for Blue Velvet.
People think that everything from when the camera zooms in on the severed ear to when it pulls out of Kyle McLachlan's iear, is a dream.
Old 05-28-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Which is fine, still pulled it off better than anyone thus far. Viewing it as a straight fantasy is just silliness.

And that Blue Velvet theory sounds more familiar now, haven't seen the movie in ages, need to break it out again.
Old 05-28-08, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by bhk
My comment was just a joke but even a good story with unlikeable characters(drug addicts, prostitutes etc...) to me is a bad movie.
That doesn't preclude you from missing my point. The meat of the majority of Lynch's work is not in telling a story from point A to B to C, or creating conventional characters. He uses film to create a portrait of the subconscious, and all its associated trappings.

And if folks find that approach unappealing, not much can be done to sway them. Though Lynch has that commercial appeal because of his high-profile films, smuggling his brand of filmmaking in front of unsuspecting audiences, and certainly finding new fans (along with new detractors).
Old 05-28-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I walked out of the $3 re-run theater for this movie, but what do I know.
Old 05-28-08, 04:05 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sundog
That doesn't preclude you from missing my point. The meat of the majority of Lynch's work is not in telling a story from point A to B to C, or creating conventional characters. He uses film to create a portrait of the subconscious, and all its associated trappings.

And if folks find that approach unappealing, not much can be done to sway them. Though Lynch has that commercial appeal because of his high-profile films, smuggling his brand of filmmaking in front of unsuspecting audiences, and certainly finding new fans (along with new detractors).
And that is OK with me. I like movies, I am not a conissuer of films.

In fact I remember thinking that commercial for Bud Light(a while back where they used the phrase "why ask why....try bud light") where they asked "why are foreign films so......foreign?" was more entertaining than most foreign films.