Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Dead 2 (Sequel to the original!)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dawn of the Dead 2 (Sequel to the original!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^ Well, technically there was a recent comic book adaptation of DotD. It didn't further the story, but it does exist.
Old 05-23-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
wait ... I thought Dawn of the Dead 2 was Day of the Dead ...

they should call it 'Midday break with the Dead' or 'Coffe Time with the Dead' or 'Water Cooler Conversation with the Dead'
This casual talk about zombies has reminded me aout another movie. Has anyone seen the zombie flick 'Fido'? Saw the trailer ages ago and it was released in 2006 but I heard no buzz about it. Has a 67% rating on RT.
Old 05-23-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara

Anything I'm forgetting? A comic book perhaps?
Actually "The Walking Dead" series is pretty fantastic. I'm not a comic book fan but love zombies. It is in the top three "book" adaptions of zombie mythos in my opinion (along with World War Z and the Skipp/Spector anthology).
Old 05-24-08, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
So let me see if I have this right.

Romero made Night of the Living Dead in 1968.

He then made the sequels, Dawn, Day, Land, and Diary of the Dead.

Night, Dawn, and Day have all been remade. In addition, some of the people involved with Night went back and shot some additional scenes giving the film a religious overtone.

Dawn has two semi-sequels at present -- Zombi 2 and Contagium -- with a third, more direct, sequel being planned.

Then there are the five or six Return of the Living Dead films which are set in a world where Night is a documentary about what happened after a chemical accident.

There've also been two short story collections set in the Dead world, including a piece by Stephen King.

And then there's Shaun of the Dead which has enough references to the Dead films that it could be considered an unofficial sequel.

FleshEater (1988) is an unofficial sequel (sort of) of Night of the Living Dead, starring this guy (playing more or less the same zombie character from the original).

There have also been at least three recent Night of the Living Dead comic book series: Escape of the Living Dead, Plague of the Living Dead, and Night of the Living Dead.

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-24-08 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-24-08, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Up until Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead I would have agreed with you. Now I think it would be better if anyone else directed it. Its sad, really.

I am interested in seeing how this plays out.. I'm all for zombie movies. Some of them just don't live up.
Originally Posted by JackBurton
I actually really liked Tom Savini's 1990 NOTL remake. I thought Todd did well in that one.
U guys are correct.

And while they're at it, please make a sequel or a movie exactly along the lines of Dawn of the Dead 2004
Old 05-24-08, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Actually "The Walking Dead" series is pretty fantastic. I'm not a comic book fan but love zombies. It is in the top three "book" adaptions of zombie mythos in my opinion (along with World War Z and the Skipp/Spector anthology).
I'll second this recommendation. The Walking Dead is a great series.
Old 05-24-08, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget Night of the Living Dead 3D.....actually you probably should.
Old 05-24-08, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by fmian
This casual talk about zombies has reminded me aout another movie. Has anyone seen the zombie flick 'Fido'? Saw the trailer ages ago and it was released in 2006 but I heard no buzz about it. Has a 67% rating on RT.
It was a decent movie and it was a bit of a spoof of the genre. It takes the "Shaun of the Dead" concept of putting the Dead to work for the living...

Since we're talking about Living Dead/Zombie flicks there was a comic book called "Deadworld" years ago and supposedly George Clooney has(had?) the option for a film for this but clearly nothing has come of it.

The Rising by author Brian Keene is also being made.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-24-08 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-25-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Interesting. I wonder when we'll get a sequel to the remake?
And then a remake of the sequel followed shortly by two prequels and a reboot of the series!
Old 05-25-08, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think I'd rather have Zack Snyder do a sequel to his version.
Same here. I'm not a huge zombie movie fan in general, but Snyder's remake is one of the few I really like.
Old 05-25-08, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
And then a remake of the sequel followed shortly by two prequels and a reboot of the series!
You mean... like The Grudge movies?
Old 05-26-08, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I'm OK with anyone and everyone making a zombie movie. I'll go on record again by saying every single movie ever should be remade, but with zombies.

If it sucks, the original still exists.

I do wish the same stories wern't being rehashed as much, though. I'd like to see the comic series "Walking Dead" made into a movie (or beter yet, an HBO series) or maybe "World War Z".
Brad Pitt's production company bought the rights to make a "World War Z" movie. Loved the book too.
Old 05-26-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
Brad Pitt's production company bought the rights to make a "World War Z" movie. Loved the book too.
Wow, that's great news. I hope they don't trash it by turning it into a single narrative star vehicle (i.e. "I, Robot").
Old 05-27-08, 09:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
imdb is stating World War Z wont be out til 2010 - I'd love to see how they film the 'India' boat scene, in the book it's the most chilling scene IMO.
Old 05-27-08, 10:43 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Wow...this better not suck.
Old 05-27-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So let me see if I have this right.

Romero made Night of the Living Dead in 1968.

He then made the sequels, Dawn, Day, Land, and Diary of the Dead.

Night, Dawn, and Day have all been remade. In addition, some of the people involved with Night went back and shot some additional scenes giving the film a religious overtone.

Dawn has two semi-sequels at present -- Zombi 2 and Contagium -- with a third, more direct, sequel being planned.

Then there are the five or six Return of the Living Dead films which are set in a world where Night is a documentary about what happened after a chemical accident.

There've also been two short story collections set in the Dead world, including a piece by Stephen King.

And then there's Shaun of the Dead which has enough references to the Dead films that it could be considered an unofficial sequel.

The original Night has some sort of sequel, I think also by Russo who shot that extra stuff for the 30th Anniversary of Night. Worth noting that the remakes of all three movies are by different studios and feature no connections to one another. Zack Snyder was at one point maybe going to add to that with a Dawn 04 sequel that wasn't "Day". I think there were more. Once I made a graph.