Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Better Movie: The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which film is better?
The Lost World
54.14%
Jurassic Park 3
45.86%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO Lost World is underrated. In some ways I feel it is better than the original. JP3, however, is pretty bad. What is everyone else's take?
Old 05-19-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Really no point in comparing stool samples... JP2 had hints of that Spielberg charm though, so I guess it wins.
Old 05-19-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 256 Posts
No comparison, JP3 is much worse.
Old 05-19-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll freely admit I'm an unabashed homer for anything Jurassic Park, and I give the slight edge to JP2. It's close though, it always bugged me that Goldblum should never have been given the lead in JP2 and that's more evident after Neill taking up the reins in JP3.

JP3 was a little tighter on the pacing and action but I did enjoy the sprawling ridiculousness of JP2, especially DINO LOOSE IN THE CITY.
Old 05-19-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
They are both crappy sequels, but JP3 is pure crap, while JP2 is atleast entertaining, mainly cause Spielberg rarely puts out shit, just some mediocre stuff once in a while. The dinosaurs are always going to be entertaining to people, it is the relationships that will make the movie good or bad, and the William H Macy/Tea Leone relationship is pretty bad in JP3. I don't know why some directors just can't develop good relationships on screen, as Spielberg is usually pretty good at this.

Sorry for the long answer: JP3 is worse.
Old 05-19-08, 08:55 AM
Banned

Lost World is a very good movie. It has Problems but so Does JP.
JP3 is horrendous. I barely classify JP3 as a movie. Its only like 80 minutes long and when I was in theaters watching and it ended I got very depressed and felt like I had just been robbed. ALso it manages to have the worst effects of all 3 films which is surprising cause I thought effects were supposed to get better with the passage of time. Also no Goldblum in JP3 s a big negative.
Old 05-19-08, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a big fan of any of them, but I like the 3rd the best. I think I appreciate it's shortness. I absolutely hated Lost World when I saw it.
Old 05-19-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
I love Lost World. The whole setpiece with the T-Rexes knocking the trailer over the edge of the cliff was great. Never understood the low ratings for this one.
Old 05-19-08, 09:18 AM

JP2 is far superior. Better set pieces and J. Goldblum factor.

JP3 was awful. The T-Rex gets mauled in the beginning... if that's not bad enough, there's that talking dinosaur. I don't care if it's a dream sequence. It's ridiculous.
Old 05-19-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 919 Likes on 652 Posts
I'll stand alone in liking 3 over Lost World. The premise for LW is better but the ridiculousness of San Diego, not to mention gymnastic girl taking out raptors really hurts the film.

JP3 was an unabashed monster flick from opening credits to closing crawl. No preconceived notions of morality or deep character development. It didn't try and be anything but. I think it succeeded at what it set out to do. I can accept it for what it is. What I can't accept is the abrupt ending, but the aviary scene with the Pteradactyls made up for it, IMO.

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
JP3 is horrendous. I barely classify JP3 as a movie. Its only like 80 minutes long and when I was in theaters watching and it ended I got very depressed and felt like I had just been robbed.
I think someone pointed out in another thread how much of a stickler you are for movie length. Too funny.

*edit - looks like I stand with MBoyd on this one.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-19-08 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-19-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another vote for JP3. Lost World was overlong and the kiddie and PC factor was on overdrive in that one. About the only things I remember from it was the good hanging trailer scene and, as Michael mentioned, the gymanst thing which was just annoying as hell to me. I don't remember too much from JP3 either, but it was fast paced and had more dinos than annoying characters, which I liked. Neither comes close to the original.
Old 05-19-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
...not to mention gymnastic girl taking out raptors really hurts the film.
This is very true. That was almost intolerably stupid and I believe I choose to forget about her until reminded.
Old 05-19-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"The Lost World" was better in print form than movie, but the movie is still 500% better than JP3.
Old 05-19-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
By memory (its been awhile for either), I'd put 2 over 3. I remember seeing JP3 in the theatres and thinking it looked like I was watching a video game.
Old 05-19-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love the whole JP series, but I'd say Lost World is the better movie. Jurassic Park 3 could have stood up to it if they actually HAD A LAST ACT. The film was building to a huge finale and then just ended...if there had been a water dino finale or something it really could have been great, but as is, it's just OK because it feels rushed. Lost World however kicks total ass and is extremely underrated IMO.
Old 05-19-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked III, but just barely. If III had an ending it would have been a pretty good movie. Like others mentioned, the gymnast attack on the raptors was inane. Also the break down and slaughter of all the men without any fighting back. I get that they were mercs, but come on. At least a few of them would held and fought back. I would have liked to see an automatic weapon/raptor fight. And with their resources they did not bring 1 AFV?
Old 05-19-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Lost World is a very good movie. It has Problems but so Does JP.
JP3 is horrendous. I barely classify JP3 as a movie. Its only like 80 minutes long and when I was in theaters watching and it ended I got very depressed and felt like I had just been robbed. ALso it manages to have the worst effects of all 3 films which is surprising cause I thought effects were supposed to get better with the passage of time. Also no Goldblum in JP3 s a big negative.
That is another big reason why JP3 sucks. How do the FX get worse 8 years after the original?! The dinosaurs looked real in 1 and 2, but in 3 they look so obviously CGI it was ridiculous. I also remember the airplane looking very fake as well.
Old 05-19-08, 11:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
JP 2 over JP 3.

At least JP 2 had some scary scenes. Plus, it still had Spielberg and John Williams.
Old 05-19-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 543 Posts
Gymnastic daughter = big
Old 05-19-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts
Wow, I thought JP3 was much, much better than The Lost World. Maybe it's because I find Dr. Grant's character far more interesting than Malcolm's.
Old 05-19-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Lost World is a better film. It's more ambitious in scope, has that true "big sequel" feel about it, and three really fantastic set pieces. It does have an air of disappointment about it, definitely, but it's not bad by any means. The film is just very contrived and kinda silly for, at the time, the most aniticipated release of all time.

JP3 is much less ambitious, thus less disappointing. It's a straight-forward monster movie with pretty much no plot or characterization, but some really good action. It's a lot more fun, but less respectable.

Both films seem to be missing what the other has. So to answer the question:

The better film: Lost World
The film I'd rather watch: JP3
Old 05-19-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

both of the kid storylines in each of the movies made them pretty awful. Whichever one didn't have the dinosaurs running through San Diego or wherever was the better one.
Old 05-19-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 919 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I think Lost World is a better film. It's more ambitious in scope, has that true "big sequel" feel about it, and three really fantastic set pieces. It does have an air of disappointment about it, definitely, but it's not bad by any means. The film is just very contrived and kinda silly for, at the time, the most aniticipated release of all time.

JP3 is much less ambitious, thus less disappointing. It's a straight-forward monster movie with pretty much no plot or characterization, but some really good action. It's a lot more fun, but less respectable.

Both films seem to be missing what the other has. So to answer the question:

The better film: Lost World
The film I'd rather watch: JP3
That's a great way to put it.

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
That is another big reason why JP3 sucks. How do the FX get worse 8 years after the original?! The dinosaurs looked real in 1 and 2, but in 3 they look so obviously CGI it was ridiculous. I also remember the airplane looking very fake as well.
That would be because Spielberg used Stan Winston's genius visual effects instead of relying on CGI for everything.
Old 05-19-08, 01:33 PM

I voted lost world...JP3 was too short and it just ended abruptly. I thought...allright, now we get to see them go to the mainland and break some stuff...huh? credits?
Old 05-19-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
With the ridiculously dumb idea of having one man stand on the beach and the cast yelling back at him that it was a bad idea of using a megaphone and then the movie jumps right to all these Marine vessels coming out of nowhere.

...... yeah I have to say I liked JP2 better

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.