DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Indiana Jones (Original Trilogy) Confusion (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/531456-indiana-jones-original-trilogy-confusion.html)

DieselsDen 05-15-08 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Nevermind that. How well could the Well of Souls have been hidden if there was an entire brick wall exposed to the outside world?

LOL! I always found that to be a hoot. They dig for hours upon hours to find the hidden place, and all along there was an exposed back door down the hill...Facing an airplane landing strip, too!

McHawkson 05-15-08 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Umm...God DID reveal himself to Moses...Moses asked to see him and God said no man could see his face and live - but he let Moses see his back. (Exodus 33)

Didn't God hang out with Adam and Eve?

JMcCraw 05-15-08 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Question:

Who teaches Dr. Jones' classes when he's away on his excursions? His T.A.'s?

I'm surprised Marshall College hasn't fired the guy yet for his long - and frequent - and spotaneous - absences.

Dude, Archaeology with Jones, easiest A ever!

GuessWho 05-15-08 04:21 PM

If we asked Lucas about these plotholes, he would probably say that in the spirit of trying to recreate adventure serials of the 1930's, these were all intentional as a tribute since the serials were full of plotholes.

chanster 05-15-08 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Umm...God DID reveal himself to Moses...Moses asked to see him and God said no man could see his face and live - but he let Moses see his back. (Exodus 33)

I don't think so, most interpretations of that passage has indicated it is indeed confirmation that man is not to see God...what Moses was allowed to see was nothing but the Lord's "back" - almost like God's presence, I would call it God's glory, so to speak. Moses was pleading for God to give him something..and most god gave him affirmation of his presence - but Moses was not allowed to actually see God.

I'm glad you brought that quotation up, because it sure seems like that passage is where Raiders was basing most of its "killing spree on"

The Nazis and Belloq did indeed see God's face (as shown by the angel's face turning into a skull and their faces melting off) and were punished for it. As the passage you mentioned says: ""you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.""

Josh-da-man 05-18-08 10:16 AM

The "Leap of Faith" from LC always sort of baffled me.

There's just no way that optical illusion could work, taking into account viewing angles and binocular vision.

It looks cool on film, but in reality it wouldn't fool anyone.

Lara Means 05-19-08 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by McHawkson

If you see the part where Jones showed the book to government agent, you see two men carrying the ark in blindfold.

Originally Posted by Groucho
The men are blindfolded in the picture

There are four guys carrying Ark. Two of them you cannot see their faces. The two that you do see are NOT blindfolded.

DarkestPhoenix 05-19-08 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Certain species of snakes can reproduce more quickly than their need to feed. Thus, the were cannibalistic snakes.

Still doesn't make sense. You're saying it's a perpetual motion machine...their snake bodies creating more matter than they consume, which is impossible.

DarkestPhoenix 05-19-08 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by chanster
I think the idea is that whatever is in the Ark belongs to God and it isn't meant to be available to human eyes.

Wow, I hope ol' melty-face's glasses didn't accidentally fall into the Ark then, because they were originally designed for human eyes...pity if they became unavailable to them.

Trevor 05-19-08 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Still doesn't make sense. You're saying it's a perpetual motion machine...their snake bodies creating more matter than they consume, which is impossible.

I was completely joking.

MBoyd 05-19-08 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The "Leap of Faith" from LC always sort of baffled me.

There's just no way that optical illusion could work, taking into account viewing angles and binocular vision.

It looks cool on film, but in reality it wouldn't fool anyone.

I didn't even think it looked very cool on film. I think it looks confusing. Not sure how it's really supposed to work.

I have the same problem with the X on the Venice library floor. Can you only see it when you stand above it on the stair case? When they start beating on the floor there is no X there. It's bothered me since day one of seeing the film.

Groucho 05-19-08 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lara Means
There are four guys carrying Ark. Two of them you cannot see their faces. The two that you do see are NOT blindfolded.

You may be right. I could be confusing the image with that in the comic.

Artman 05-19-08 09:00 AM

Mola Ram's demise.... so basically the stones light up, he tries to catch one and falls off the cliff? Lame...

Charlie Goose 05-19-08 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Here's an old blog post I wrote on the many problems with the Jones films.

One problem I didn't address is that Indy doesn't really accomplish anything in "Raiders" apart from rescuing Marion and the headpiece in Nepal -- if he'd gone home after that, the world would be just as well off. The Nazis only had one side of the headpiece and would've spent years digging in the wrong place. Even if they did find the Ark, they would've taken it to an island, opened it ... and everyone would melt. When a rescue team came to investigate, they'd open it ... and melt. It didn't matter if the Nazis got the Ark because God would never let them use it as a weapon.

Sir, you have just raped my childhood.

Iron Chef 05-19-08 09:48 AM

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L940yIeVZzE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L940yIeVZzE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

MBoyd 05-19-08 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

:lol: Hope you're childhood will recover! Funny though what Sean OHara said could be applied to just about any film. If character A had just done X in the film, then there wouldn't even be a need for the film and everyone would be better for it. :lol:

Anyway, Indiana Jones' goal in Raiders is to see the Ark in a museum. That is why he is so pissed off at the end when the government takes it away . . . (spoiler for Crystal Skull)
Spoiler:
to area 51!

DarkestPhoenix 05-19-08 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I was completely joking.

:lol:

Nice. I always assumed they came out of the 'exposed' portion of the building, because when they're pouring out of the wall, Indiana gets his idea to smash through it, which leads to the outside.

Groucho 05-19-08 10:25 AM

I'm guessing that post #92 contains an unexpected spoiler for the new film inside the spoiler tag, since I read it and it doesn't jive with anything in the existing film. :(

DarkestPhoenix 05-19-08 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

Haha...I know, I read that, and I was like, OMG, he's totally right.

MBoyd 05-19-08 10:28 AM

I'm guessing that post #92 contains an unexpected spoiler for the new film inside the spoiler tag, since I read it and it doesn't jive with anything in the existing film. :(

I'll amend . . .

DarkestPhoenix 05-19-08 10:29 AM

http://bp2.blogger.com/_LNhJJWWBTdo/...00/mcmahon.jpg
You are correct, Sir!