DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Indiana Jones (Original Trilogy) Confusion (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/531456-indiana-jones-original-trilogy-confusion.html)

Groucho 05-13-08 11:18 AM

Indiana Jones (Original Trilogy) Confusion

I'm rewatching the original Indiana Jones trilogy in preparation for the new movie (and the Lego game). I've seen these a million times, so I can start to get nitpicky.

Let's start with the famous "basket chase" sequence in Raiders:

* In Nepal, Marion is shown as a "tough as nails" hard drinking with a powerful right hook. Suddenly, in Cairo she's a squealing girly girl?
* At one point, a bunch of random dudes run up to Indy and start stroking him. What the hell is that all about?

jeffkjoe 05-13-08 11:57 AM

In RAIDERS,

Toht's eyes roll up into his skull.

His nose burns off.

Then his ear lobes melt off.

Then his tongue melts off.

His glasses? Fall off.

Palaver 05-13-08 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
* At one point, a bunch of random dudes run up to Indy and start stroking him. What the hell is that all about?

I think they were upset that he had knocked their baskets over trying to find Marion.

fumanstan 05-13-08 12:03 PM

Let's start with the famous "basket chase" sequence in Raiders:

* In Nepal, Marion is shown as a "tough as nails" hard drinking with a powerful right hook. Suddenly, in Cairo she's a squealing girly girl?

This is why I never understand the love for Marion as a tough girl and that she breaks the cliched chick that needs saving. She gets carried off in a freakin basket!!

jeffkjoe 05-13-08 12:04 PM

OK, so does Indiana Jones drop off Short Round in some boarding school and forget about him prior to RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK?

shizawn 05-13-08 12:04 PM

I thought they were beggars or something. Indy throws some change and they all run to it.

lawyer goodwill 05-13-08 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
OK, so does Indiana Jones drop off Short Round in some boarding school and forget about him prior to RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK?

Yes. At the very least, highly likely.

Groucho 05-13-08 12:30 PM

Oh yeah -- what's with Sallah using his own children as a human shield to protect Indy?

Doc MacGyver 05-13-08 12:53 PM

Oh yeah -- what's with Sallah using his own children as a human shield to protect Indy?

Different time. I was watching Raiders this weekend and I was thinking the same thing. The only answer - a different time, when children would never even be considered as "targets" (at least in movies).

-Doc

Doughboy 05-13-08 01:01 PM

Never mind that. How come Indy tells Marcus Brody early on in Raiders that he doesn't believe in "hocus pocus" or any sort of magic when a year earlier in Temple of Doom he witnessed Mola Ram pulling a dude's heart out without it killing him and a stone powerful enough to destroy and revive all the crops in a village?

devilshalo 05-13-08 01:03 PM

Why was Indy was more like Belloc in Temple of Doom, where he bartered Nurhachi for a large diamond?

Doughboy 05-13-08 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Why was Indy was more like Belloc in Temple of Doom, where he bartered Nurhachi for a large diamond?

It's a prequel, so at the beginning of the movie he's interested only in "fortune and glory", but by the end he cares only about saving the village.

Brack 05-13-08 01:16 PM

she wasn't drunk.

lawyer goodwill 05-13-08 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Never mind that. How come Indy tells Marcus Brody early on in Raiders that he doesn't believe in "hocus pocus" or any sort of magic when a year earlier in Temple of Doom he witnessed Mola Ram pulling a dude's heart out without it killing him and a stone powerful enough to destroy and revive all the crops in a village?

Yessir, this is the best example of "Indy confusion" imo. But unlike Star Wars, continuancy with Indy movies isn't a high priority for me.

Doc MacGyver 05-13-08 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo

"I am a dark reflection of you... it would only take a slight push for you to become like me."

Thankfully, Indy had an experience a year prior which reprioritized his archeological goals/methods.

A seemingly schizophrenic woman who at times appears to have (at least) two entirely different personalities? That's the most realistic characterization in <i>any</i> of the Indy films.

-Doc

Shannon Nutt 05-13-08 03:00 PM

How about when Indy goes for his gun in 1935 to shoot the thugee and the gun isn't there? Then, a year later he does the same thing QUITE CASUALLY. If it were me, I'd be worried that my gun was missing again. :)

jeffkjoe 05-13-08 03:22 PM

Question:

Who teaches Dr. Jones' classes when he's away on his excursions? His T.A.'s?

I'm surprised Marshall College hasn't fired the guy yet for his long - and frequent - and spotaneous - absences.

Groucho 05-13-08 03:25 PM

I'm surprised Marshall College hasn't fired the guy yet for his long - and frequent - and spotaneous - absences.

Presumably, he has tenure.

But what about his dad? Those guys seem too close in age to be father/son.

CharlieK 05-13-08 03:27 PM

Have any of you ever tried to escape from an elevated basket? It's not that easy. Besides, she did brain that guy with a frying pan and pull a knife on Belloc. She's a badass.

Mondo Kane 05-13-08 03:28 PM

Was this before or after he shot the swordsman? If it was after, they probably thought Indy was a god.

Groucho 05-13-08 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Have any of you ever tried to escape from an elevated basket? It's not that easy.

Probably not. But I'd hope that I'd try more things than screaming "Indy!" and "Eek!"

Pointyskull 05-13-08 03:31 PM

What mastermind built that rollercoaster of a mine car track in Temple Of Doom?
Mola Ram must just come back from Six Flags...

Groucho 05-13-08 03:35 PM

Is it possible, using ancient Hovito technology, to make a booby-trap that's operated by breaking the sunlight?

And wouldn't it be easier to avoid that trap if Indy and Dr. Octopus just went in at night?

GoldenJCJ 05-13-08 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
This is why I never understand the love for Marion as a tough girl and that she breaks the cliched chick that needs saving. She gets carried off in a freakin basket!!

Give Marion a break. She's been damaged for years since Indy raped her when she was a child. ;)

jeffkjoe 05-13-08 03:41 PM

How do you go through life with the last name "Doody"?