Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Fellowship of the Rings' w/orchestra - Wolf Trap 5/21 & 22

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-28-08, 12:59 PM

US Premier of the first film with live symphony and choral arrangement! The film in HiDef no less...

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Live Symphony & Film
Old 04-28-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, that's awesome. If I lived in Washington, I'd go in a heartbeat.

-Doc
Old 04-28-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That would be so cool. I really wonder what the licensing is for something like this.
Old 04-28-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Think may check this out !
Old 05-21-08, 02:56 PM

looks like there are now discounted seats available through Goldstar for the Thursday night screening.
Old 05-27-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone go to this? How was it? I would've gone, but it was really bad timing for me...
Old 05-27-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Woulda been fine if it WASN'T the middle of the week.
Old 05-28-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, i was disappointed that it was in the middle of the week. I also think it rained. Oh well, maybe next time
Old 05-28-08, 10:45 AM

I don't recall it raining - I went on Thursday - I just remember it was very cold.. for May nonetheless. As for the event - wow! The music was so perfectly timed I almost forgot there was an orchestra under the screen. The choral group and soloists were also top notch - The Mines of Moria is by far my favourite musical segment of the movie. The concert/film had an intermission, right after the fellowship was brought together by Elrond. The HiDef imagery was perfect, although there were subtitles throughout the entire movie since at times the noise level of the orchestra almost drowned out the voice track of the film (incidently the film was projected at it's original theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35 - I soooo can't wait for the bluray, for the record the film was the theatrical version and not the extended cut). Needless to say, given how long the film was, I didn't get home to upper northwest DC until 12:40 AM - but I was glad I didn't miss out on this concert.
Old 05-29-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you know what it prob didn't rain, I just remember coming up with a few excuses of why I shouldn't go, I thought that was one of them.
Old 05-29-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like this would be a fantastic experience. You guys are lucky!
Old 05-29-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

darn! 1 week too late to this thread.
Old 05-30-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

!

Originally Posted by Giles
I don't recall it raining - I went on Thursday - I just remember it was very cold.. for May nonetheless. As for the event - wow! The music was so perfectly timed I almost forgot there was an orchestra under the screen. The choral group and soloists were also top notch - The Mines of Moria is by far my favourite musical segment of the movie. The concert/film had an intermission, right after the fellowship was brought together by Elrond. The HiDef imagery was perfect, although there were subtitles throughout the entire movie since at times the noise level of the orchestra almost drowned out the voice track of the film (incidently the film was projected at it's original theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35 - I soooo can't wait for the bluray, for the record the film was the theatrical version and not the extended cut). Needless to say, given how long the film was, I didn't get home to upper northwest DC until 12:40 AM - but I was glad I didn't miss out on this concert.
We went to the Wednesday showing.... my experience was about the same as yours. Agree about forgetting about the orchestra, they were that good ! The soloists and choir gave chills at times. It was an amazing show...but I almost would have preferred the movie being more in the background and the live performance more showcased.
Only downsides was the temperature... wore long sleeve knit shirt and light jacket, but we were freezing by the end ! And at our show you would think no one ever knew there were credits after a movie, which is one of my favorite parts of FOTR for the music. People started applauding and leaving while there was still 10 minutes of performance to go !
Old 11-06-08, 09:23 AM

head's up: The Two Towers will get the same treatment, Friday, August 28 & Saturday, August 29, 2009
Old 11-06-08, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
head's up: The Two Towers will get the same treatment, Friday, August 28 & Saturday, August 29, 2009

Remind me again a week before. wtf
Old 11-06-08, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMFP View Post
Remind me again a week before. wtf
duly noted.
Old 11-07-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was announced already? That's pretty earlier, especially for Wolf Trap. Might have to try and make it this year.
Old 11-07-08, 03:31 PM

yes it was announced in email form.