Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only IRON MAN reviews thread!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only IRON MAN reviews thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 04:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Again...WHY ARE WE PUTTING INFO ABOUT A SCENE THAT'S IN THE MOVIE IN SPOILER TAGS!?!?!
Spoiler:
because we have a heart and a soul, because we have a heart and a soul
Old 05-05-08, 04:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just to mention, I think Rhodes was written blandly. I'm not blaming Howard for the lifelessness of the role. And yes, obviously, he was being set up to become War Machine.
Old 05-05-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah. Howard did not really have much to do in this movie. I kind of thought of more of a 'lets get introduced to the future War Machine'
Old 05-05-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
My biggest tip-off that Bridges was the villain? The fact that he was playing Obadiah Stane.
Old 05-05-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Fury scene....

Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLNu4G6XQg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLNu4G6XQg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Gotta love the reaction of the 5 fanboys who hung out 'til after the crawl
Old 05-05-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does 'Iron Man' deserve an Oscar?

May 5, 2008, 06:00 AM | by Ken Tucker

Categories: 'The Dark Knight', Film, PopWatch Petition

Ironman_l I went to see Iron Man this weekend, and liked it a lot more than I expected. One big reason? It didn't have just laughs and comic-geek thrills, but real, first-rate, non-F/X… acting! When Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark, pulls Gwyneth Paltrow’s Pepper Potts out onto the dancefloor for a little dipping and cooing, the rom-com byplay is superb.

Which made me connect a few movie-industry dots. Hey, remember the whining about the last Oscar telecast, with its low-wattage star vehicles and lower ratings, and all the hand-wringing the media, including EW, did over how to improve the Oscars? Here’s a thought. Hey, Hollywood and the Motion Picture Academy: Take a closer squint at the big summer movies. Take them, ahem, seriously. As far as I’m concerned, Downey’s performance should go on any short list that anyone draws up of potential Oscar nominees.

Oh, and another thought. Iron Man at my multiplex was preceded by a trailer for The Dark Knight. And if Heath Ledger’s performance as the Joker is as good as these clips suggest — and my brain starts popping every time I see his deliriously committed, smeared-makeup personification of pure, nut-job Evilness — then we’ve got a potential Best Supporting Actor nominee that will be much more than just a sentimental gesture to a cherished, departed actor.

Iron Man and The Dark Knight as Oscar-worthy — think about it… seriously.
Source
Old 05-05-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If RDJ couldn't get a nomination for Zodiac I don't see him getting one for Iron Man. But different circumstances I'm sure Iron Man will be nominated for at least something.
Old 05-05-08, 09:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
The Fury scene....

Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLNu4G6XQg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLNu4G6XQg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Gotta love the reaction of the 5 fanboys who hung out 'til after the crawl
the few that stayed to see this at the Uptown - were in hysterics

as for the 35mm print at the Uptown theatre - bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. The sound was great and appropriately loud, but the print that Paramount sent and projected was practically colourless and washed out. "Jumper' at the Uptown also had the same problem.
Old 05-05-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll admit I geeked out at Shield and fury. heh.
Old 05-06-08, 01:07 AM

Wow

Originally Posted by Giles
the few that stayed to see this at the Uptown - were in hysterics

as for the 35mm print at the Uptown theatre - bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. The sound was great and appropriately loud, but the print that Paramount sent and projected was practically colourless and washed out. "Jumper' at the Uptown also had the same problem.
That sucks. I semi-recently saw Blade Runner there & it looked awesome. I would have expected Iron Man to look great on that screen, too. Shame about the print. What a waste of a screen.

As it happens, I can say that the picture looked great and the sound quality was awesome (if a little loud) in the digital projection auditorium at the AMC Theater in Tyson's. Great stuff.

As with most that are posting in this thread, I have to agree that this is easily one of the best super hero movies. ever.

I can't remember any other casting being as great and appropriate as RDJ for Tony Stark except perhaps for Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf.

What a fun ride. I really think I am going to go see it again...soon.

I picked up on the S.H.I.E.L.D. thing the 2nd time it was mentioned. I didn't know about
Spoiler:
Sam L. at the end and throughout the movie I was wondering, "humnh...I wonder if Nick Fury will make an appearance?

I think I was the only person in the fairly sizeable crowd to laugh at the "hey Hef." line...

Last edited by elengineer; 05-06-08 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-06-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elengineer
I think I was the only person in the fairly sizeable crowd to laugh at the "hey Hef." line...
that line got a big laugh from the audience i saw it with
Spoiler:
once it was revealed to be stan lee that is.
Old 05-06-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Eh, I think Stan Lee is given more credit than he deserves. Just saying, Marvel should film all the cameos they need for him in the future films now, cause he aint lasting much longer.
Old 05-06-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I'll admit I geeked out at Shield and fury. heh.
Actually got goose pimples on this one. Need geek rehab quickly.
Old 05-06-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by coli
I have twin 8 year old nephews, and I was wondering if this movie is OK for kids under 10 to see? They enjoy comic book movies, and really don't get bothered by alot of stuff, so I think they can handle it. Please let me know if anyone has taken any kids under the age of 10?

Thanks.
My son loved it and didn't find any of it too intense, but he knows neither fear nor pain. There was a little girl somewhere behind us in the theater that got freaked out at the scenes showing the crude medical procedure performed on Stark during his captivity - there wasn't much you could call graphic about it, but it was presented in a sort of hazy, nightmarish way.
Old 05-06-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw this Friday night and loved it. I am a RDj fanboy but thought he did an excellent job. Never really saw him as a superhero.

This was by far my favorite comic book movie.

I am not a comic book freak. I would call myself a casual comic book collector from the mid-late 80s and I still LOVED this movie.

First move in a long time that I will go see twice in the theater.
Old 05-06-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Just to mention, I think Rhodes was written blandly. I'm not blaming Howard for the lifelessness of the role. And yes, obviously, he was being set up to become War Machine.
I read in an interview that Howard got a call from Favreau and was told that his character took the biggest hit in the edit room. So that probably explains his lack of character.
Old 05-06-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I read in an interview that Howard got a call from Favreau and was told that his character took the biggest hit in the edit room. So that probably explains his lack of character.

Hoping for a directors cut. (I am sure Howard took it well, especially since War Machine should be coming more prominent)
Old 05-06-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

seen it yesterday and really liked it, Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow were excellent. Not the best comic book flick, Only good action scene was really Iron man and the Jets and him returing in the middle east and destroying the missles. Leslie Bibb looked great.

My problems were mainly with Jon Favreau not very good at making a good looking flick, and action scenes. This movie felt like it didn't have a big battle or action scene in it. The Finale just didn't feel like it was the big encounter.

The Fight on the streets was pretty badly shot, too many close ups when cars are getting thrown etc. I just wish someone else would of handled most of the action. Jon Favreau just isnt a good action director, he did a great job with the characters, the dialouge was great. The variations of the Iron man suit looked awesome. Hopefully he learns more of how to shoot and stage an action scene.

8/10
Old 05-06-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Well, saw it last night, and it was terrific summer-movie fun I thought -- I know it might sound like heresy to some but frankly I'd put it up there with the first few Spider-Man and X-Men movies in terms of getting the essence of the characters, great action and respect for what Iron Man is all about.

A lot of this is down to Downey, who IS Tony Stark and just might be the best superhero casting call since Christopher Reeve, I think. It's great to see this guy, who I've always rooted for, ascend to the "big leagues" with this role. There might be some who say there's not enough Iron Man action in this, but frankly all the "first hero movies" tend to follow this pattern I think. Favreau gives us action but also a lot of humor and a ton of nifty gadgetry-building sequences that brought out the 13-year-old geek in me.

The rest of the cast is swell, too - Paltrow and Terrence Howard do a lot with rather sparse screen time (would've liked Howard to get a bit more action though, but there's hints of that to come). I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Jeff Bridges hamming it up as Obadiah Stane -- no Oscar winning take, maybe, but he's good fun.

And hell, once that "Mark 3" armor with the familiar red and gold takes the stage and is zipping through the air, I totally got the same rush I did the first time I saw Michael Keaton as Batman or Tobey Maguire swinging through the air -- that's the comic hero coming to life, man! Awesome.

Sure I can nitpick a bit (final battle maybe isn't the greatest) and I'm sure fanboys worldwide will do so for months to come, but this is a pretty darn great superhero movie, and I gauge just from the reaction of my audience it's going to be a huge box office hit. I'd give it a solid A-.

(And loved all the little nods to Marvel comics nerds like me --
Spoiler:
"Ten Rings" of the Mandarin, Rhodes eyeing a spare suit of armor and saying "Next time, baby," S.H.I.E.L.D., Jarvis the butler and of course, that fantastic little cameo at the very end - STAY FOR THE CREDITS.
That would pretty much be my exact same review in a nutshell. One of the best superhero movies yet made, and easily one of Marvel's best.

Also - just saw it today, and apparently, they aren't showing The Dark Knight trailer before it anymore - or at least they didn't for this screening. Was kinda bummed about that, as friends who saw it over the weekend at the same theater got to see it. But, we did get the new Hulk trailer, and that gave me a bit of hope about the new film. Looks much, much better than the last one was.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 05-06-08 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-06-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SEXMAN APPROVED!!!11!

It's a double review, Harold & Kumar AND Iron Man...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ay53oK7xY5U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ay53oK7xY5U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Listen to the kid struggle with puberty at 1:10
Old 05-06-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Also - just saw it today, and apparently, they aren't showing The Dark Knight trailer before it anymore - or at least they didn't for this screening.
It'll come back soon, Joker just abducted it and did some tweaking.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H3OqlNyE18I&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H3OqlNyE18I&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 05-06-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"The Dork Knight"
Old 05-07-08, 01:18 AM

I have a question about something that happened,

Spoiler:

When Obadiah uses that little machine on the main terrorist guy, he is only paralyzed for 15 minutes. What happens to him afterwords??
Old 05-07-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Um.. he got shot up to hell with the rest of his troops when Obadiah's clean up crew... cleaned up.
Old 05-07-08, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Chalk up another big LOVED it. I always liked RDJ and I'm glad he carried a film. He was perfect. This has become my favorite superhero movie. I loved Batman Begins but when I got it in HD I wasn't able to rewatch it for some reason - I still have a fondness for it, I just haven't been able to sit through it a second time (and I rarely watch movies twice... The Orphanage being the last one I did). I can see watching this again in HD.

JB does that thing where he smacks his mouth open like he does in all his movies. I like him as an actor, I just always notice that.

I have a feeling it will be dethroned by The Dark Knight, but that's just because I like my movies dark. This is still one of the best superhero movies ever though.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-07-08 at 05:47 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.