Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kubrick-Genius or over rated?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 12:41 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just watched the new stanley kubrick special edition dvds and i have got to say i dont know what all the fuss is about over his films. He films seem to be slow and boring and his story telling to me isnt all that great. One thing i will say is he is a genius with a camera and all his films look beautiful but that isnt enough to make a good movie. With the exception of the shining IMO all his films are poor. I know theres gonna be a whole lot of people who disagre wih me on this one though! What do u guys think?
Old 04-21-08, 12:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 708 Likes on 472 Posts
I was going to say something, but then I saw your signature and see that we'd all just be wasting our time.
Old 04-21-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wrong forum and i disagree with you.
Old 04-21-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 771 Likes on 565 Posts
Have to agree with Trevor on this one. That signature speaks volumes.
Old 04-21-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian T
Have to agree with Trevor on this one. That signature speaks volumes.
I don't have a problem w/ you liking Tarantino, but i couldn't disagree w/ you more on your view of Kubrick. He is not overrated.
Old 04-21-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 381 Likes on 258 Posts
i think your personal taste in films just doesn't line up with the kind of films that Kubrick made, but he is definitely one of the best filmmakers of the past 50 years.
Old 04-21-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sigill
I know theres gonna be a whole lot of people who disagre wih me on this one though! What do u guys think?
I think you should learn how to spell.
Old 04-21-08, 01:05 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
wrong forum and i disagree with you.
Why am i on the wrong forum? Yes i like tarantino i didnt think there was anything wrong with that or is there? I thought it was a reasonable question to ask about kubrick. not everybody likes the same things do they? Im not saying kubrick isnt talented, without a doubt no one can make a film look like he can, his cinematography is unbelievable. Didnt he practically invent the steadycam style of shooting. Im just saying i think films like 2001 and eyes wide shut IMO lack substance and are long tough films to watch.
Old 04-21-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why am i on the wrong forum? Yes i like tarantino i didnt think there was anything wrong with that or is there? I thought it was a reasonable question to ask about kubrick. not everybody likes the same things do they? Im not saying kubrick isnt talented, without a doubt no one can make a film look like he can, his cinematography is unbelievable. Didnt he practically invent the steadycam style of shooting. Im just saying i think films like 2001 and eyes wide shut IMO lack substance and are long tough films to watch.
1) you are in the DVD forum....this should be in the MOVIE forum.

2) how old are you?
Old 04-21-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is DVDtalk. Your post should go in Movie Talk.
Old 04-21-08, 01:14 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Sorry i missed an e. I didnt realise it was that much of a crime? This is my first time on here so i apologise if i put my thread in the wrong forum. I just didnt realise having an opinion on a director that doesnt agree with evryone elses is so wrong.
Old 04-21-08, 01:17 PM
Cool New Member

1) you are in the DVD forum....this should be in the MOVIE forum.

2) how old are you?
Sorry i didnt realise i was in the wrong forum. Im 28 so i consider myself to have a reasonable amount of knowledge on films past and present.
Old 04-21-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd disagree with your assessment. One thing that's always impressed me about Kubrick is his ability to do so well in so many genres. Sci-Fi, Drama, Comedy, Horror, War, he's done something memorable in all of them. That's not an easy thing to do. most directors stay within a comfortable zone for the most part.
Old 04-21-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have just watched the new stanley kubrick special edition dvds and i have got to say i dont know what all the fuss is about over his films. He films seem to be slow and boring and his story telling to me isnt all that great. One thing i will say is he is a genius with a camera and all his films look beautiful but that isnt enough to make a good movie. With the exception of the shining IMO all his films are poor. I know theres gonna be a whole lot of people who disagre wih me on this one though! What do u guys think?
Kubrick was working in a different time and for a different audience. That you cannot appreciate his work says more about you than it does about him. Nevertheless, I'm sure a lot of people think as you do.

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
sigill's grammar is no better than his spelling, but so what? There's plenty of people who post here that can barely string a few words together. We all understood what sigill meant so let's move on.
Old 04-21-08, 01:34 PM
Cool New Member

Im a movie fan and am well aware of kubricks legacy. He is one of the most influential directors in the history of film. I also recognise his skills in tackling different genres in almost every film he made. I also think that 2001 is technically fantastic achievement considering it was made before anyone had ever actually been in space. I just felt that a lack of dialogue and no real storyline doesnt benefit the film. People can say the film is a classic but does anybody actually know what the film was trying to tell us.
Old 04-21-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no way "one of the most influential directors in the history of film" is overrated.

There are directors who would kill to have a resume similar to Kubrick's.
Old 04-21-08, 01:36 PM

People who say Kubrick is the greatest director are the same people who say the Beatles are the greatest band.
Old 04-21-08, 01:37 PM

Kubrick Is a man who has made films in the top 10 of all time in at least six different Genres (IMHO)

2001: Arguably best Sci Fi ever

Shining: One of the scariest ever

Dr. Strangelove: one of the funniest ever

Full Metal Jacket: Again A top pick in War Genre

A Clockwork Orange: hard to pick an exact Genre but one of the best mind f@ck movies ever.

Paths of Glory: One of the best Anti-War Movies ever!

Not to mention Spartacus as a great Epic film
Lolita
Barry Lyndon
Killers Kiss
The Killing
Eyes Wide Shut & More all masterpieces.

Name me one other director who has done all that!

I read or heard somewhere that Spielberg always new no matter what he did, Kubrick could & would do it better. Every single films of his is a gem.
Old 04-21-08, 01:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Kubrick was working in a different time and for a different audience. That you cannot appreciate his work says more about you than it does about him. Nevertheless, I'm sure a lot of people think as you do.

sigill's grammar is no better than his spelling, but so what? There's plenty of people who post here that can barely string a few words together. We all understood what sigill meant so let's move on.
I understand that i am probably in the minority with my opinion. Whether its wrong or right is all dependant on the individuals opinion. The fact that his films are still being released to this day shows his films still have mass appeal.
Old 04-21-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I also think that 2001 is technically fantastic achievement considering it was made before anyone had ever actually been in space.
A bit off topic, but I was wondering when it is you think the first man in space was exactly.

I just felt that a lack of dialogue and no real storyline doesnt benefit the film.
You may be confused by the beginning and the ending, but the film has a fairly well developed storyline.

People can say the film is a classic but does anybody actually know what the film was trying to tell us.
While the film is open to a broader array of interpretation than many films are, it is still a cogent piece of fantastic filmmaking, and the debate is more about shades of meaning than anything else. The broad outlines of the meaning are available from a number of sources. Perhaps try Wikipedia for starts.
Old 04-21-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by domino harvey
People who say Kubrick is the greatest director are the same people who say the Beatles are the greatest band.

and they'd be correct on both accounts.
Old 04-21-08, 01:48 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
A bit off topic, but I was wondering when it is you think the first man in space was exactly.

You may be confused by the beginning and the ending, but the film has a fairly well developed storyline.

While the film is open to a broader array of interpretation than many films are, it is still a cogent piece of fantastic filmmaking, and the debate is more about shades of meaning than anything else. The broad outlines of the meaning are available from a number of sources. Perhaps try Wikipedia for starts.
Im probably ill informed but i allways thought Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon in 1968. Im not sure thats correct though!.
I agree with you that the fact that the film is still being discussed to this day can only be a sign of the films popularity. A lot of films from that time are just distant memories.
Old 04-21-08, 01:51 PM

and they'd be correct on both accounts.

Amen Brother!
Old 04-21-08, 01:57 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Trevor
I was going to say something, but then I saw your signature and see that we'd all just be wasting our time.
I have removed my signature. I dont want any controversy!
Old 04-21-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im probably ill informed but i allways thought Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon in 1968. Im not sure thats correct though!
Yuri Gagarin became the first man in space in 1961, however.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 04-21-08 at 02:05 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.