Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'2001' 70mm at the AFI Silver

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 12:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

'2001: A Space Odyssey'

April 25th - May 1 in the historic theatre
Old 04-21-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome!

I'll be there this weekend. I hope to use my passes from El Cid. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-21-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice. I should check this out.
Old 04-22-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a 2 day prieview starts tomorrow i guess. Its on the schedule for the 22nd and 23rd at 9pm. Even though i have the dvd and have seen it countless times, i kind of wanna see this on a huge screen with an audience.
Old 04-22-08, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What will you guys do during the intermission? I can imagine turning heads, chaps gathering around and trying not to spill their drinks on one or the other.
Old 04-22-08, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

sit and wait it out. Isn't the intermission only like 5 minutes? not really enough time for a piss break w/out missing anything
Old 04-22-08, 03:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
a 2 day prieview starts tomorrow i guess. Its on the schedule for the 22nd and 23rd at 9pm. Even though i have the dvd and have seen it countless times, i kind of wanna see this on a huge screen with an audience.
I've seen 2001 in 70mm twice. It was a seminal experience in my life. If you can make it to any viewing of the film in 70mm, do so!
Old 04-22-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've seen 2001 in 70mm twice. It was a seminal experience in my life. If you can make it to any viewing of the film in 70mm, do so!
going sat with the gf. why she agreed to go is beyond me, and is something that i prob won't ever understand. i dragged her to No Country, which she hated with a passion. Oh, and she's more or less the friend who happens to be female, so I'm not really expecting to get laid or anything. Really looking forward to it.

got a question though, would it be wise to pre buy tickets in case of a sell out (its about a 45 minute drive from where i live)
Old 04-22-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw this in London in 70mm several years ago. It was easily one of my most memorable theater going experiences. Absolutely breathtaking.
Old 04-23-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
I think I'll go for this. Haven't seen the movie before (yet I own the new Kubrick set), 70 mm would be a great place to start.
Old 04-23-08, 09:08 AM

There's actually a 9pm screening tonight before it's "week long" run starting Friday.
Old 04-24-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

got a question, hows parking like down there? Also, any decent resturants that aren't too high in price in the area within walking distance? hell, if anyone would go to the sat show, let me know, and maybe we could hook up down there.
Old 04-24-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are a couple parking garages in downtown Silver Spring that are very cheap. There are also a ton of restaurants ranging from cheap (Panera Bread & Baja Fresh) to average (Red Rock Canyon or Macaroni Grill) to expensive (Ray's the Classics -- great steakhouse right next door).
Old 04-24-08, 08:28 AM

got a question, hows parking like down there? Also, any decent resturants that aren't too high in price in the area within walking distance? hell, if anyone would go to the sat show, let me know, and maybe we could hook up down there.
I'd take you up on your offer to hook up, but I got tix to FilmFest DC that night over at the Avalon... drat.

Originally Posted by Mittman
There are a couple parking garages in downtown Silver Spring that are very cheap. There are also a ton of restaurants ranging from cheap (Panera Bread & Baja Fresh) to average (Red Rock Canyon or Macaroni Grill) to expensive (Ray's the Classics -- great steakhouse right next door).
actually... it's right across the street and the food is excellent there

as for parking the lot behind the AFI can get crowded, alternate better parking is the lot across from the Tasty Dinner.

Last edited by Giles; 04-24-08 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-24-08, 06:27 PM
Banned

I hate all of you that get to go see this.
Old 04-24-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

movie starts at 7:10 so, i'll prob leave around 4:30, so we can get tickets and a bite to eat.
Old 04-26-08, 09:33 AM

sit and wait it out. Isn't the intermission only like 5 minutes? not really enough time for a piss break w/out missing anything

it's long enough to go to the restroom... I don't think I've seen this with all the music

- overture
- entr'act
- the music that proceeds the credits.

also, I've never seen this with the intermission, what a cliffhanger!

the thing that struck me about the 70mm engagement is that while the effects look tactile and almost three dimensional, people and spaceships almost seem to almost float off the screen, is the sound

The film's sound effects or the lack of them is amazing. Passages that rely on being loud and in your face are jarring. The scenes where there is no sound, I know this is a cliche, are equally deafening. The AFI's auditorium is THX certificed, so no outside sound leaks in, so when it's quiet on screen - it's really quiet.
Old 04-26-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only thing is trhat there was a some print damage here and there. There was a little yellow piece of dirt in the second reel, which was the end of the dawn of man into the first part of blue danbue. There was also some big nastly lines up and down the screen for parts of the movie. Other then that, it was an amazing expierence. The 'to jupiter and beyond' sequence was kind of hypnotizing on a big screen.

It was also nice to see a lot of younger people (there were a few teens in the theater) and from what i could tell, nobody fell asleep, and everyone's eyes were glued to the screen. Unfortunatly my friends kind of pussied out on me last second, and went to the mainstream theater down the street.
Old 04-28-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We ended up going to the Saturday 4:10pm showing. My wife and I were both really impressed. I agree w/ Rypro, there were some blemishes to the print, but not at all distracting compared to the otherwise vibrant and clear presentation.

As Giles mentioned, the sound was powerful, sometimes unnerving. I was a little surprised at how empty the theater was, but it was an afternoon showing. Since they are playing this throughout the week, and not just once like "El Cid," there's was no excuse to miss this event.

Really like the theater too. Might have to go back for Blade Runner: FC, Eraserhead and perhaps some of the UA festival titles like TGTB&TU.
Old 04-28-08, 09:10 AM

I also liked how the theatre actually used the curtains, and after the AFI promo the screen covers to the left and right of the screen pulled back so the screen could enlarge behind the curtains.
Old 04-28-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what sux is that i will be in DC on the 2nd...