Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Is it, well, good?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Is it, well, good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn't great, but it was far better than III or V.
Old 04-07-08, 11:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolf359
I think he's referring to <snip>
Oh, that. The way it was worded I thought it was something new from a non-canon source like a novel/comic. Thanks!
Old 04-07-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
For me TMP is a sign of its time. It had the campy costumes, the ropey special effects, the dodgy sets and even dodgier hair cuts (or lack of), but i still find it interesting and watchable. What i do like about it is the fact that this movie captures the spirit of voyaging into the unknown very well, something that i think was replaced in a lot of the movies and TV episodes by just plain old action. Not knocking that....but at least this movie gives you something else. This is a movie that would be great if they updated the effects. My one big gripe about this movie is the whole sequence where they are going through warp and there is an asteroid or something approaching. Its all played out in a type of slow mo and the whole scene seems to go on forever. And thats about the best of the little action in the movie you are gonna get. That and the fact that Decker gets on my tits.
Old 04-07-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally thought TMP was a pretty decent movie, albeit a tad too long, it could’ve been shortened by a few minuets. Other than that, I thought it was fine. I don’t know why it gets all the bashing. Although I’ve only seen the Director’s Edition, I’ve never seen the original theatrical cut.

Now, The Final Frontier is just a plain bad movie. I would have to say it’s probably my least liked Trek film, although I also don’t like The Voyage Home very much. I know I’m in the minority when I say that, but I personally thought the story was dumb. It also didn’t feel like a Star Trek movie. It felt like a comedy that I didn’t find that funny.
Old 04-07-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
This is a movie that would be great if they updated the effects.
But that was the big deal about the DVD release, the effects were enhanced to look more complete. I obviously won't notice a change as I'll be watching it for the first time.
Old 04-07-08, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a
.... gets on my tits.
I had to google that. I guess I'm not young and hip anymore.
Old 04-07-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first film is awesome. Wonderful special effects, great score, captivating story, ther legendary Robert Wise directing for crying out loud! It took Star Trek into the realm of sci-fi epic.

Sure I love Khan as much as anyone, and actually I love the entire trilogy of 2-4, and 6 I just watched last night in fact, for the 20th time probably. Those are great movies, lots of action, great characters and actors, more humor as they progress, but The Motion Picture is a real treat because it's unique unto itself.
Old 04-07-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Oh, that. The way it was worded I thought it was something new from a non-canon source like a novel/comic. Thanks!
Yeah I was trying not spoil anything by wording it that way so I didn't have to use spoiler tags. I just think that's cool.
Old 04-07-08, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I had to google that. I guess I'm not young and hip anymore.
Wait, I'm in a ST thread, I guess I never was.
Old 04-07-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
It is certainly more methodically paced, but it is not boring. In my fevered little brain, it works better if you consider it a series finale to TOS. It's set only 2.5 years after the end of the five year mission, and, as noted above, it started out being a TV script. But the score is wonderful, and there's several very good character moments. It deals with a couple of heady ideas, and it's directed by Robert Wise.

And don't fast-forward through the entrance music, it's a beautiful piece of music.

Definitely give it a shot.
Old 04-07-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Horrible, but not the affront to humanity that is part 5
Old 04-07-08, 02:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
at age 9 when I endured this at the theatre, I thought it was one of the slowest (and yes, boring) films ... ever.
Old 04-07-08, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It is certainly more methodically paced, but it is not boring. In my fevered little brain, it works better if you consider it a series finale to TOS. It's set only 2.5 years after the end of the five year mission, and, as noted above, it started out being a TV script. But the score is wonderful, and there's several very good character moments. It deals with a couple of heady ideas, and it's directed by Robert Wise.
Actually, while I enjoy the films with the original cast, I never watched the series because I couldn't get past two elements:

-It's a 1960's show, which means like everything else at the time, the acting is exaggerated like a stage play. The characters in the films are more natural. (as best they can be considering...)

-The big issue for me, is that I have the hardest time reconciling the fact that all other aspects of Star Trek, including the original films, look and sound so radically different so it's impossible for me to buy into the idea that the TOS technology, designs and costumes would evolve into the Trek we all know looks and sounds like after the fact. I know it's purely an issue of budget and the era it was produced, but the difference is so jarring.

And don't fast-forward through the entrance music, it's a beautiful piece of music.
I read the Digital Bits review that said the Overture was something abandoned in some versions of the movie, and they used to be common.
Old 04-07-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Trek 4 is my favorite because of how much fun and relaxed it is, though I hate the music for it (apologies to the late Leonard Rosenman) with a passion.
Silver Bells, Silver Bells, it's Christmas Time in the Galaxy...

TMP is one of my favorites of the franchise. It was very much molded after 2001--trying to be completely adult, intellectual, "serious" scifi with no action scenes whatsoever. If you've got patience enough for 2001 or Blade Runner, you may love it.

#5 nearly makes me lose my lunch with its geriatric Uhura dance of the seven veils, and that Uhura-Scotty love story popping up out of nowhere. Pool-pool is pretty damn stupid as well. #6 is the best. Much better than Khan, best guest cast, best characters & plot, but unravels a little at the end.
Old 04-07-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by adamblast
#6 is the best. Much better than Khan
Blasphemy!
Old 04-07-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by adamblast
Silver Bells, Silver Bells, it's Christmas Time in the Galaxy...

Much better than Khan, best guest cast, best characters & plot, but unravels a little at the end.
Say what??!!???
Old 04-07-08, 07:33 PM

I would like to put my two cents in and say that TMP is a decent, albeit slow paced movie. I do agree with a former poster in that it more on the 2001 tip than the wrath of khan type of movie, so keep that in mind before venturing forward. When i saw it as a kid, i was severely disappointed, but as an adult, i can appreciate its merits.

I am in total agreement that 5 was horrific. I would also like to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but anyone who thinks 6 is better than 2 is crazy as a shithouse rat. Kirk making out with himself is not anywhere close to the battle between the reliant and the enterprise.
Old 04-07-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Actually, while I enjoy the films with the original cast, I never watched the series because I couldn't get past two elements:

-It's a 1960's show, which means like everything else at the time, the acting is exaggerated like a stage play. The characters in the films are more natural. (as best they can be considering...)

-The big issue for me, is that I have the hardest time reconciling the fact that all other aspects of Star Trek, including the original films, look and sound so radically different so it's impossible for me to buy into the idea that the TOS technology, designs and costumes would evolve into the Trek we all know looks and sounds like after the fact. I know it's purely an issue of budget and the era it was produced, but the difference is so jarring.
Feh. Kids these days. Oy...

I read the Digital Bits review that said the Overture was something abandoned in some versions of the movie, and they used to be common.
Which is a damn shame because its a beautiful piece of music. I remember way back when just getting goosebumps sitting in a dark theater listening to it on a good sound system.

Say what you will about the film, but to me it's always had the greatest opening scene ever. Mmmm Klingons...

I will confess though that when I rewatch it these days, I'll usually FF over a lot of the talky bits.
Old 04-07-08, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Feh. Kids these days. Oy...

I make no apologies for not watching TOS at all. Other than the movies, DS9 was and is all the TV Trek I need. Saw all of TNG and it never resonated with me, but it was good. Saw all of Voyager and after 3 seasons of a good show, it was followed up by 4 more seasons that made washing dishes and other chores more enjoyable than the chore of sitting through that remainder of the show.

Enterprise...saw the pilot, didn't see much after that. Saw previews of upcoming episodes that looked like blatant rip-offs of previous Voyager episodes and aliens that shouldn't have been there because of continuity.
Old 04-07-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I have to agree with 6 being better than 2. Don't get me wrong, I like 2, but I feel that 6 has more seriousness going for it.

With regard to 1:

It is long, and I'm definitely going to have to be in the mood before I sit down and watch it in full. Also, only about 2 parts of the movie really ask me to revist: the space station flight in the beginning (epic!) and the reveal at the end. Oh, and the final shot back at earth is nice too.

I do have to ask with regard to:

Spoiler:
the V'Ger / Borg linkage. I read the books, probably a decade ago at this point, and I do recall V'Ger being tied to the Borg with it's travels. However, I don't recall the Illia as queen reference. Do you have a link on that? What about Decker?
Old 04-08-08, 02:21 AM

TMP was boring beyond belief. You couldn't pay me to try and sit through that snoozfest again.

II, IV, & VI, on the other hand, were fantastic.
Old 04-08-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
In '79 we were all excited because the Enterprise was to fly again! The score was truly exciting and still gets to me even though it was co-opted for TNG. Then we sat through TMP. That's not to say it's a bad film, it's not really. What I found problematic is that it appears to be 3 TOS episodes:
Spoiler:<input type="button" value="Show" style="width:45;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px; height:21" onclick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') {this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = '';this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else {this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Show'; }">

"The Doomsday Machine," "The Carbomite Maneuver," and especially "The Changeling,"

reworked into a single story and fleshed out for the movie format with greatly updated special effects, some of which are spectacular. It *does* get boring toward the end with the extremly long journey through the cloud. There is lots of eye candy but, like the journey in 2001, it goes on way too long. It's worth sitting through at least once or twice and is a better film, but not by much, than "The Final Frontier". Compared to the series eipsodes, I would rank is as a fair entry. Much better than the worst episodes from season 3.

"The Undiscovered Country" is very good, continuing the theory that only the even numbered Trek films are worthwhile. I would rank it 2nd only to "Wrath of Khan" as the best original cast film followed closely by "The Voyage Home". Keep looking for this one. It deserves a place in your library, ranking with the best of the series episodes.

"The Final Frontier" is another story. A real stinker, it belongs amongst the worst of the 3rd season entries. It tries to be humerous, but almost embarrassingly fails. It tries for action, and mostly fails. It tries to be profound, and miserably fails. I own it so as to have a complete collection of the original cast movies. I recently upgraded my copy to DVD (the other original crew movies were upgraded years ago) and watched again only to confirm my feelings of years ago. I imagine it will sit unwatched for another 5 years or more. Purchase only if a true fan and only to complete the original cast movie collection.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 04-08-08 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-08-08, 09:58 AM
Suspended

It's not a great Trek film, but it's better than First Contact.

The DVD is excellent.
Old 04-08-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts
When it came out, people were ecstatic about the special effects. You could see every window of the Enterprise! The backgrounds were gorgeous! Most importantly, it was a new Star Trek episode!

I've never liked special effects enough that good effects would make me not notice other parts of a movie, like how DeForest Kelley had forgotten his acting chops. Or that the first half hour was nothing more than showing the faithful that it really was a new Star Trek.
Old 04-08-08, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
It's not a great Trek film, but it's better than First Contact.
BULL!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.