Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Marine is retardedly awesome

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-04-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I searched and didn't find a thread dedicated to this flick. Amazing, I know...

The Marine is such a terrible film. Loaded with cliche upon cliche, terrible acting, incredulous action sequences and the need to suspend your disbelief beyond anything I've ever witnessed.

And, yet, I love it.

God help me, but this film is so goddamn fun I can't help but enjoy it. Cena has the acting range of a toddler tethered to a parent, but the guy just has a certain charisma about him that transfixes me to the screen. He's not nearly at The Rock's level - he's more like The Rock's less-charismatic dim-witted cousin.

The plot, if you can call it that, is inane and stupid... but this is all just a set up for the outlandish action scenes. One thing anyone watching this film needs to know going into it is that anything, ANYTHING, John Cena touches explodes. If he's in a building - it's gonna blow. If he drives a car - it's gonna blow. Did I also mention he's inside these things half the time and emerges looking like he just shot an infomercial for the Ab Roller? In one scene, while driving a police cruiser that's been riddled with enough bullets to supply a small country, Cena simply holds a bullet-proof vest in front of his face to avoid being shot while driving at 100 mph. Pure genius.

The Marine is a perfect throwback to the over-the-top 80's action flicks of yester-year. Films like Commando, Rambo II and Missing in Action. It's big dumb fun.

Anyone else agree?
Old 04-04-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw one scene on HBO HD that seemed stupidly cool...it was a shootout between Cena and the carjacked SUV that his wife was in.
Old 04-04-08, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Marine really is a wonderful camp classic. The crazy and stupid black henchman, Morgan, is one of the greatest bad movie characters I've seen in a long time with some hilarious lines ("Watch out for crocodiles," "Black men don't camp," and his whole monologue about summer camp and rock candy). I also loved Robert Patrick's fun performance, the artificial tan on the Marine's wife, and the extreme tendency of any and every object to explode when hit with the slightest pressure.