Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brian Orndorf's review of My Blueberry Nights

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian is an awesome movie critic (his review of Under the Same Moon rules) but he should refer to Wong Kar Wai as Wong not Wai. Unless he also refers to Stanley Kubrick as Stanley, David Lynch as David, Paul Thomas Anderson as Paul, etc. Wong is the director's last name.
Old 04-03-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

he gave The Good Night "Highly Recommended" rating and to Juno "Skip it" you think he can type well?
Old 04-03-08, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Brian is an awesome movie critic (his review of Under the Same Moon rules) but he should refer to Wong Kar Wai as Wong not Wai. Unless he also refers to Stanley Kubrick as Stanley, David Lynch as David, Paul Thomas Anderson as Paul, etc. Wong is the director's last name.

Do you constantly ask yourself, "Need I be a useless, incendiary, fucking prick all the time?"
Old 04-03-08, 09:38 PM
Banned

Yes. And the answer is yes.
Old 04-03-08, 09:43 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
this thread would've been perfect as a private message.
Old 04-04-08, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Wong is the director's last name.
Whether it's the director's last name or first name is a matter of cultural perspective. You F'kin' cultural imperialist! I think what you mean to say is that it's his surname.
Old 04-04-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by animatedude
he gave The Good Night "Highly Recommended" rating and to Juno "Skip it" you think he can type well?
Have you seen The Good Night? It runs circles around Juno. Granted, that's an apples and oranges debate, but Juno would've been a better film if the dialog wasn't so horrible.
Old 04-04-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Have you seen The Good Night? It runs circles around Juno. Granted, that's an apples and oranges debate, but Juno would've been a better film if the dialog wasn't so horrible.
Ipod don't knowzle what YouTube are talking about!
Old 04-04-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Going back to the film, I believe the US version has been trimmed down by 20 mins (the original runtime is around 112 mins).

I personally think My Blueberry Nights is like a lighter version of Chungking Express/Fallen Angels. Those who have seen Wong Kar Wai's previous works would see nothing new to this film...more like the director bringing his style to an American landscape. I think the problem though is that his filmmaking technique works much better in an Asian enviroment such as Hong Kong where city life seems more frantic, more populated and more dynamic. And I guess the reason why the film was a critical bomb at Cannes was that the audience was expecting something new, not a repetition of what Wong Kar Wai has done before (and much more exceptionally at that).

Still a big fan of his work (Fallen Angels being one of my favorite films).
Old 04-04-08, 01:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by brevity
Do you constantly ask yourself, "Need I be a useless, incendiary, fucking prick all the time?"
brevity, personal attacks are against forum rules. In the future, I'd strongly suggest that you avoid making posts like this.
Old 04-04-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 170 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by brevity
Wow, and you registered only to post that?