Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RoboCop (2014, Padilha) S: Kinnaman, Oldman, Jackson, Cornish

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RoboCop (2014, Padilha) S: Kinnaman, Oldman, Jackson, Cornish

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: RoboCop (2014, Padilha) S: Kinnaman, Oldman, Jackson

You know what...I totally didn't even notice the heavy blue tint on the bust. I just immediately saw Robocop 1 Robo. You're right. Get rid of that heavy tint. Man, Robocop is THE earliest memory of my life which is whan I was 3...wooo...that was a lot to take in at that age. THOUGH...I liked the action too.

No matter what he had a more controlled blue tent depending on where you looked. Also he had a bit of purple on the back of his head..always thought that looked cool. This is all Robo 1 specifically...i can barely remember 2 and 3. ESPECIALLY 3.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t1_Pw563opc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And just for the hell of it for color reference but also my love of Robocop 1. It really does seem like depending on lighting and angle you'd get a different visual on the color.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h16e5Bm2m3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-25-11 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-27-11, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had zero interest in anything to do with this remake, but Fassbender's involvement would get me into a seat opening weekend.
Old 09-27-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 659 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
You know what...I totally didn't even notice the heavy blue tint on the bust. I just immediately saw Robocop 1 Robo. You're right. Get rid of that heavy tint. Man, Robocop is THE earliest memory of my life which is whan I was 3...wooo...that was a lot to take in at that age. THOUGH...I liked the action too.

No matter what he had a more controlled blue tent depending on where you looked. Also he had a bit of purple on the back of his head..always thought that looked cool. This is all Robo 1 specifically...i can barely remember 2 and 3. ESPECIALLY 3.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t1_Pw563opc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And just for the hell of it for color reference but also my love of Robocop 1. It really does seem like depending on lighting and angle you'd get a different visual on the color.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h16e5Bm2m3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
As far as I recall, the colour timing was changed (the blue tint and the flesh tones were boosted) when MGM mastered their DVD for the first movie. The Criterion DVD retained the original grey-ish look.
Old 09-27-11, 02:20 PM
Banned

No. Nooooooooooo!
Old 09-27-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 09-27-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 659 Likes on 509 Posts

No. Nooooooooooo!
Search your feelings. You know it to be true!

Or you could just check out this link.
Old 02-24-12, 02:42 PM

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,188 Posts

‘The Killing’s Joel Kinnaman Gets ‘Robocop’ Offer
EXCLUSIVE: I’m told that MGM is making an offer to Joel Kinnaman to play the title role in its Robocop remake. The film’s being directed by Jose Padilha, helmer of two action packed installments of Elite Squad. Strike Entertainment partners Eric Newman and Marc Abraham are producing. Josh Zetumer wrote the script.

Kinnaman, who’d take the role originated by Peter Weller in the 1987 Paul Verhoeven original, most recently turned in a memorable performance in Safe House opposite Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds. He burst on the scene in the AMC series The Killing. Before that he starred in Snabba Cash, which was directed by Safe House helmer Daniel Espinosa. Kinnaman, who’s repped by UTA and Magnolia Entertainment’s Shelley Browning, becomes the second high profile casting move made by MGM this week. The studio is in early talks with Dwayne Johnson to play Hercules.

Old 02-24-12, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate Hollywood.
Old 02-24-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kinnaman is very good. If they're going to re-make this, at least that's an inspired casting choice.
Old 02-24-12, 03:10 PM
Banned

...I'd still chase after Fassbender. FASSBENDER. Make that rumor true!
Old 02-24-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This guy is easily the best part of The Killing, so it's a good choice.....if they can't get Fassbender
Old 03-03-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Deadline has confirmed the deal with Kinnaman is finalized. At least this remake should give us a good BD release of the original.
Old 03-03-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no idea who this guy is, so I don't know if I approve or not. I do, however, know he isn't Michael Fassbender, and that sucks.
Old 03-03-12, 11:54 AM
Banned

Damn. Did they even try to chase Fassbender after the rumor started? I mean, they didn't go after him (they said so) but there was a rumor..and what a fucking rumor that is to have circling your film. Fassbender, man. FASSBENDER. *slams his fist down*
Old 03-03-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Deadline has confirmed the deal with Kinnaman is finalized. At least this remake should give us a good BD release of the original.
Knowing MGM, they'll just repackage the same disc with new artwork and a free ticket to the remake.
Old 03-03-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Fassbender from what I've seen him in but really, why does he give you guys such a hard-on? Would the original or RoboCop 2 been that awful if Peter Weller was not in the suit? I mean we see him as a regular cop for like the first 20 minutes of the movie.

Look when I heard they were remaking Nightmare on Elm Street I was downright pissed that they weren't going to bring back Robert Englund. Then they cast Jackie Earle Haley, and I was jazzed because I thought he was perfect. We all know how that went.

Unless there's some ridiculously awesome script anyway it won't matter who's in the role. Especially in a movie like this. I would think the supporting cast is also almost just as important.
Old 03-03-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Update: Joel Kinnaman Confirmed as RoboCop Lead

Jose Padilha's reboot of RoboCop looks to have found its lead as Deadline reports that Joel Kinnaman ("The Killing," Snabba Cash) has been offered the role of Officer Alex Murphy (played in the original by Peter Weller).

UPDATE: Deadline is confirming their earlier report, saying that Kinnaman has accepted the deal and has closed his deal to play Alex Murphy in the Robocop remake for MGM.

A reboot of the 1987 Paul Verhoeven film, RoboCop will again tell the story of a police officer who, after nearly being killed in the line of duty, is rebuilt as a crime-fighting cyborg. The original film spawned two sequels and multiple television series spinoffs.

"I have my take on it," Padilha told ComingSoon.net late last year, "And I can tell you this: In the first 'RoboCop' when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?"

Recently, Gran Torino scribe Nick Schenk was brought about the project to rewrite. Production is still targeted for this summer.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=87439
Old 03-03-12, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcfly
I like Fassbender from what I've seen him in but really, why does he give you guys such a hard-on? Would the original or RoboCop 2 been that awful if Peter Weller was not in the suit? I mean we see him as a regular cop for like the first 20 minutes of the movie.

Look when I heard they were remaking Nightmare on Elm Street I was downright pissed that they weren't going to bring back Robert Englund. Then they cast Jackie Earle Haley, and I was jazzed because I thought he was perfect. We all know how that went.

Unless there's some ridiculously awesome script anyway it won't matter who's in the role. Especially in a movie like this. I would think the supporting cast is also almost just as important.
Because Michael Fassbender is on a goddamn hot streak of awesome. He hasn't failed yet. Even in Jonah Hex from what I hear. That's some damn fine work. And how awesome of an actor he is? To be someone like RoboCop? To do that role on a physical level? You goddamn fucking know the man will commit like a motherfucker to it.
Old 03-03-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because Michael Fassbender is on a goddamn hot streak of awesome. He hasn't failed yet. Even in Jonah Hex from what I hear. That's some damn fine work. And how awesome of an actor he is? To be someone like RoboCop? To do that role on a physical level? You goddamn fucking know the man will commit like a motherfucker to it.
I love your enthusiasm, Snake. It makes the move threads fun.

I'm disappointed it's this guy from The Killing. I didn't care for him at all in that show.
Old 03-03-12, 02:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not going to lose sleep over this. Fassbender will choose more interesting roles than Robocop.
Old 03-26-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Joel Kinnaman Promises "More Human" Look for RoboCop

Attached to the project earlier this month, Snabba Cash star Joel Kinnaman spoke today with MTV and dropped a few details about his upcoming role as Officer Alex Murphy in Jose Padilha's reboot of RoboCop.

"There's a lot of neuroscience now raising the question, 'Is all the intelligence in the human body in the brain?'" Kinnaman explains, "and they’re finding out that, no, it’s not like that. The body has intelligence itself, and we’re much more of an organic creature in that way. It's not a control tower that does everything."

In addition to a more scientific approach, Kinnaman says that the humanity of Murphy will be played up in ways that include a redesign of the RoboCop costume.

"They’re still working on the suit and how it’s going to look, but the visor is going to be see-through," he continues. "You’re going to see his eyes... It's not going to be jaw action."

"I have my take on it," Padilha himself told ComingSoon.net late last year, "And I can tell you this: In the first 'RoboCop' when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?"

Kinnaman also teased that the story, from screenwriter Josh Zetumer and Nick Schenk, will play as a political satire.

RoboCop is set for release on August 9, 2013.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88436
Old 03-26-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We associate the eyes with humanity - the "windows to the soul". In Robocop the opaque visor helps express the disconnect; Robocop is no longer a human being, he's a machine, a product. When we see his eyes later, it's to show the human side still left to him. Moments like his peering through the bullet hole in the visor, where we see that this machine still knows fear, are why the opaque visor is so effective as a symbol.

I know a redesign was inevitable, and certainly no-one wanted the same thing warmed over again. I just don't think the opaque visor was a minor detail, and I'd hate for it to be dismissed as such; it's intrinsically connected to the character.
Old 03-26-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
We associate the eyes with humanity - the "windows to the soul". In Robocop the opaque visor helps express the disconnect; Robocop is no longer a human being, he's a machine, a product. When we see his eyes later, it's to show the human side still left to him. Moments like his peering through the bullet hole in the visor, where we see that this machine still knows fear, are why the opaque visor is so effective as a symbol.

I just don't think the opaque visor was a minor detail, and I'd hate for it to be dismissed as such; it's intrinsically connected to the character.
Indeed. It's the first time we see that there truly is a face - a man - behind that machine and it's not just a faceless mouth and nothing beneath that helmet. Everything he does after that moment is more natural because he's just trying to run (rather hobble) for his life, and then later speaks more like a person than a program. It's so small but it's probably the one big game changing moment in the whole film, even more than the memory flashes in his old home.
Old 03-26-12, 10:47 PM
Banned

ditto. The visor was very important.
Old 05-23-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From /Film;

Today news came out that Oldman will play a major role opposite Joel Kinnaman, who was cast a few weeks back as the new version of Alex Murphy, a cop who is killed (nearly killed?) but revived as a cyborg police officer.

I bet many will do the same thing I did and assume that Oldman will be playing either the role held by Ronny Cox in the original, or even one of the roles played to such memorable effect by Kurtwood Smith or Miguel Ferrer. In fact, Oldman’s casting reveals some new information about the remake, as he’s playing a new character named Norton, aka the guy who creates RoboCop.

THR says that Norton is “the scientist who creates Robocop and finds himself torn between the ideals of the machine trying to rediscover its humanity and the callous needs of a corporation.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.