Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Akira — live action (???)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Akira — live action (???)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-17, 08:46 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
re: Akira — live action (D: Waititi)

On last week’s Meet the Movie Press, I passed along a rumor that Daniel Espinosa and David F. Sandberg were in the running to direct the live-action AKIRA movie for Warner Bros. but here on the ground at CinemaCon that discussion has shifted, with insiders saying the studio is moving aggressively to lock in Jordan Peele to direct coming off the mega-success of Get Out.

Warner Bros. has been enamored with Peele ever since Get Out opened to big business and sparked a cultural conversation. At one point, I thought the studio was going to ask him to direct THE FLASH. Who knows? They still could! But I’m told Akira is the WB project they’re currently discussing with Peele, and the talks have apparently been encouraging.

Representatives for Warner Bros. and Peele did not immediately respond to an after-hours request for comment.

Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way is producing Akira with Andrew Lazar (American Sniper). Marco Ramirez (Netflix’s Daredevil) wrote the most recent draft of the script, though it’s expected that Peele would do his own pass should he close a deal.

Warner Bros. has struggled for years to gets its live-action adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo’s classic manga off the ground, and the property has languished in development to fans’ dismay. The film nearly went into production several years ago with Jaume Collet-Serra directing Garrett Hedlund and Kristen Stewart, but the plug was pulled at the last minute.

Now I know what you’re thinking. I’ve cried wolf before about Akira. In addition to Espinosa (whose Life just underperformed) and Sandberg (who ended up getting the bigger Shazam gig), I’ve said that Justin Lin was being sought to direct at one point. But all of those names were floated on the podcast, never published. Our sourcing is solid on this one, but of course, I’m not at the negotiating table, and The Flash remains a tantalizing, not to mention even higher-profile possibility.

So, what would a deal with Peele mean for Akira? Well for starters, he would be an exciting coup for a project that has unfortunately developed a reputation as being “troubled.” At the time, many blogs were upset about casting Hedlund and Stewart as traditionally Asian leads — the same issues that have plagued Paramount’s upcoming Ghost in the Shell. But Peele deftly navigated racial themes in Get Out, and it’s that very sensitivity that could make him the perfect director for the job.

Peele’s directorial debut Get Out has grossed more than $150 million on a reported budget of less than $5 million. Insiders say he’s refreshingly unpredictable and could always decide to stick with making socially-conscious genre films that give him more creative freedom for the time being, but the feeling within the industry is he’s ready to make the big-budget leap now.

Peele, who will be in Las Vegas on Thursday to accept CinemaCon’s Director of the Year Award, is represented by CAA, Principato-Young Entertainment and attorney Jared Levine.
http://www.tracking-board.com/hot-of...ros-exclusive/
Old 03-30-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I suspect the outcome of this will have something to do with Ghost in the Shell's success. Or at least the perceived way of making such a film better.

Next up: Keanu Reeves' Cowboy Bebop?
Old 03-30-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

The decision making at big studios tend to confuse me. I've been a fan of Peele since his MadTV days, but he's only directed one low budget thriller. Now they're ready to place him in the director's chair of a big budget sci-fi movie? Like, did the studio approach him first or did he just offer to throw his hat in the ring? I don't understand the reasoning in that article:

But Peele deftly navigated racial themes in Get Out, and it’s that very sensitivity that could make him the perfect director for the job.
Akira has asian characters... but it's not a satire on race. There are no "racial themes" to navigate. Does the writer of that article assume Hollywood whitewashing (which is bound to happen with this movie) is going to get a pass because the director made an edgy comedy dealing with race issues?
Old 03-30-17, 09:40 AM

That has been the current thing with Hollywood.
ex:
Jurassic World
Godzilla
Kong: Skull Island
The Last Jedi
Spider-Man: Homecoming (and TASM/TASM2)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Power Rangers
TMNT
Pete's Dragon

etc. etc.
Old 03-30-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Hell, Joseph Kosinski's first movie was the $170m budgeted Tron Legacy
Old 03-30-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joe_b
The decision making at big studios tend to confuse me. I've been a fan of Peele since his MadTV days, but he's only directed one low budget thriller. Now they're ready to place him in the director's chair of a big budget sci-fi movie?
That method became hot when WB brought in Christopher Nolan for the Batman movies. And earlier, Bryan Singer on X-Men. Since Nolan worked so well, it seems that it's the in-thing to pluck small film directors to bring something special to big movies.

No complaints here. That was a pain of older indie directors - that they could have a hard time getting a budget for the smaller movies they want to make, and couldn't consider working on large movies.
Old 03-30-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That has been the current thing with Hollywood.
ex:
Jurassic World
Godzilla
Kong: Skull Island
The Last Jedi
Spider-Man: Homecoming (and TASM/TASM2)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Power Rangers
TMNT
Pete's Dragon

etc. etc.
I guess it pays to gamble when a new director has some heat... though sometimes it backfires (Josh Trank, anyone?). I still understand the rationale behind most of those choices, though. Edwards had already directed "Monsters", Johnson had done "Looper"... etc.

While very successful, "Get Out" isn't the kind of project I expected would garner Peele offers to direct $100M+ tent poles. The guy has a brilliant comedic mind, but having him tackle a serious sci-fi adaption is kind of unexpected. Hopefully the results are interesting if this thing ever makes it out of development hell.

Last edited by joe_b; 04-26-17 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-30-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

If Peele could get final cut and minimal interference then sure, why not. If he already has final cut, but Blumhouse dictates the film budget (I'm sure they totally do since that's their business model) then he should stay with them. There's nothing more powerful to a film director than having final cut on all of his projects. It's worth more than money, IMO.

Hey, maybe they could get him to direct The Flash? There's a thought.
Old 04-02-19, 10:17 AM

The name Leonardo DiCaprio seems to be a little bit golden when it comes to the Golden State and tax incentives for film and television.

The Oscar winner saw the Quentin Tarantino directed Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, in which DiCaprio co-stars with Brad Pitt, awarded over $18 million from California’s $330 million annual incentives program in 2017. Now DiCaprio’s Appian Way shingle has been allocated $18.5 million for a live action version of Akira from Warner Bros.

Having gestated for a number of years, The Departed star produced adaptation of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s 6-volume classic graphic novel was among 18 feature films that were unveiled today as successful recipients of the last round of allocations from the state and the California Film Commission.

“We are thrilled with the opportunity to shoot Akira in California,” said Ravi Mehta, Warner Bros. Pictures EVP of physical production and finance on Tuesday of the film and the tax credits it has been awarded. “The availability of top-notch crew members, plus the wide variety of location choices and predictable weather are second to none,” the exec added of the upcoming project.

Eager to display that the 13th big budget film to receive tax credits since the program was expanded back in 2014 is a good financial bet, the CFC reckons Akira will create a total of $92 million in spending in Cali during production – which is serious cash all round.

In full, the math for this latest round of awards for the 18 films is estimated to generate about $408 million in what the CFC call “qualified expenditures.”

Set to film entirely in the Golden State, the also Andrew Lazar produced Akira itself is estimated to generate $43 million in wages to 200 below-the line crew members and more than 5,000 extras during its 71 days of filming. Having seen his name floated around in the past in connection to the project, Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi is still on-board to helm Akira, I hear.

BTW, though that $18.5 million that Akira has been allocated is a pretty nice chunk of change from the state, it is not actually the most that California has handed out to a pic since the tax incentives program started accepting applications from tentpole projects five years ago. So far, the two spots belong to the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee and the LeBron James starring Space Jam 2 with $22.4 million and $21.8 million in credits respectively.

Of course, that could change after the next round of big screen applications are digitally submitted from June 17-21 this year. In terms of the small screen, the next application period for TV projects is May 20-24, with the allocations expected to be announced some time in late June or early July.
https://deadline.com/2019/04/leonard...nt-1202586735/

Damn... when did we go from potentially Peele to Waititi?
Old 04-03-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool story bro. I've been following this since the early 2000's. Wake me up when there are set photos. Even then a movie that gestates so long is usually a turd. But I'll still watch whatever they do, as the anime is still top tier.
Old 04-03-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Cool story bro. I've been following this since the early 2000's. Wake me up when there are set photos. Even then a movie that gestates so long is usually a turd. But I'll still watch whatever they do, as the anime is still top tier.
I doubt I'll watch it. After Ghost in the Shell, I'm done with Hollywood remakes of my favorite stories that discard the interesting part of the projects and only leave the shiny outer covering.

Let's take just one example from the movie. After a terrorist bomb explodes at the mall, a couple hundred civilians are rounded up for interrogation by thick-necked, hard-fisted policemen. Then the teenage stars are beaten by the authorities at school. Everyone shrugs about it, and the teenagers who were beaten only grumble a little, because that's just the way the world is. Some people have power, and some don't, and there's nothing the powerless can do about it. So when Tetsuo gets power, he uses it ruthlessly, following the example of what he's experienced his whole life.

But in a Hollywood movie, I'd expect that same scene to be played with a show of outrage, or pathos, or anything but indifference. That is, if the Hollywood version even left that scene in at all. If they left it out, or changed its tone, Tetsuo would be changed from the product of his times to a punk who gets too much power and needs to be put back in his place.

I would expect that interrogation scene to be removed entirely to leave more time for an eight-minute chase on flying motorcycles in the sewers.
Old 04-03-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I doubt I'll watch it. After Ghost in the Shell, I'm done with Hollywood remakes of my favorite stories that discard the interesting part of the projects and only leave the shiny outer covering.
Isn't that what they did with the AKIRA anime? The manga has so many levels to it.
Old 04-03-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The final act of Chronicle is basically the final act of the Akira movie.
Old 04-03-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm definitely in the minority as Akira seems to get high praise in the anime community but I never was fond of the anime film so I'm not looking forward to the live-action and will likely just pass on it.

Would have loved to see Keanu Reeves as Spike in Cowboy Bebop but that project never came to be unfortunately.
Old 04-05-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I suspect the outcome of this will have something to do with Ghost in the Shell's success. Or at least the perceived way of making such a film better.

Next up: Keanu Reeves' Cowboy Bebop?
Well, yeah, but without Keanu Reeves:
https://nerdist.com/article/john-cho...NcuFX6UM5uYtNc

When it comes to the transference of an animated favorite to the medium of live-action, there is perhaps no bigger concern than casting. When it came to the announcement that Netflix would be developing a live-action adaptation of Cowboy Bebop, for instance, many fans wondered who on Earth—or beyond—could conceivably embody the spirit, humor, and, let's be honest here, bad boy allure of Spike Spiegel. For months, answers evaded us.But now we have our answer, and it's a good one: John Cho. According to a press release from Netflix, the big-screen mainstay will star as the Mars-born bounty hunter famed for an attitude that ranges from ambivalence to brutal violence (but yes, yes, with a few well guarded soft spots). And frankly, we couldn't be happier.Though Cho, at age 46, is a good deal older than the late-20s Spike was meant to read, his talent across genres—from the bawdy comedies that kickstarted his career, to blockbusters a la the Star Trek series, to smaller-scale thrillers like 2018's Searching, to tender indie dramas like the magnificent Columbus—and ceaselessly youthful vigor (seriously, would you even have known he was 46?) makes him a pick we're thrilled by.
Old 05-14-19, 03:55 PM

Taika Waititi’s Live-Action ‘Akira’ To Begin Filming On July 15th, Michael Golamco Set To Co-Write The Screenplay
https://discussingfilm.net/2019/05/1...lay-exclusive/
Old 07-16-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
re: Akira — live action (???)

‘Akira’ Production Put on Hold by Warner Bros.
By JUSTIN KROLL Justin Kroll

Warner Bros. has put its long-in-development “Akira” adaptation on hold indefinitely, sources tell Variety.

Sources indicate that after a brief delay, the studio has pulled the plug on production indefinitely for the classic anime adaptation, which was set to begin later this fall. “Thor: Ragnarok” helmer Taika Waititi was on board to direct, and the studio hopes that “Akira” can get back into production once he’s done filming “Thor 4.” Multiple sources close to Warner Bros. found this week’s announcement of Waititi directing “Thor 4” to be surprising, with one person adding they were caught off guard by Waititi’s decision to focus on the Marvel property as “Akira” was getting closer to production.

Waititi was in the midst of meeting with young Japanese actors for “Akira’s” two lead roles. While the studio originally delayed production to give him time to find the right talent, it now seems there may have been more creative disagreements over the project.

The postponement represents another setback for the “Akira” adaptation, which has spent years trying to get off the ground, dating back to when Jaume Collet-Serra was set to direct in 2012. Warner Bros. had similar budgetary concerns at the time, and the studio went back to the drawing board. Collet-Serra eventually departed to work on other projects.

When Waititi boarded the film in 2018 after he finished production on Fox Searchlight’s “Jojo Rabbit,” the project looked to be in its best position in years to finally get moving. “Akira” was scheduled to open on May 21, 2021, but it’s now likely to be removed from the schedule.
Old 07-17-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Akira — live action (???)

Just drop it, for cryin' out loud, they'll never do it right. Anime fans will hate whatever the result is and everyone else will be like, "Akira? What's that? Is it like that Alita film we didn't bother seeing?"
Old 07-17-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Re: Akira — live action (???)

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but at AX this year, they announced there's going to be a new Akira anime, supposedly an adaptation of the rest of the manga. Also a 4k remastering of the movie and Otomo is directing his third film, Orbital Era.

So as long as the American film does nothing to mess up the rest of this stuff (like the Robotech movie keeping Harmony Gold around, ugh), they can do whatever they want.