Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roy Scheider, RIP

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Roy Scheider, RIP

This is sad. He was great in All That Jazz, and other films of course.

Roy Scheider, a stage actor with a background in the classics who became one of the leading figures in the American film renaissance of the 1970s, died on Sunday afternoon in Little Rock, Ark. He was 75 and lived in Sag Harbor, N.Y.

Mr. Scheider had suffered from multiple myeloma for several years, and died of complications from a staph infection, his wife, Brenda Seimer, said.

Mr. Scheider’s rangy figure, gaunt face and emotional openness made him particularly appealing in everyman roles, most famously as the agonized police chief of “Jaws,” Steven Spielberg’s 1975 breakthrough hit, about a New England resort town haunted by the knowledge that a killer shark is preying on the local beaches.

Mr. Scheider conveyed an accelerated metabolism in movies like “Klute” (1971), his first major film role, in which he played a threatening pimp to Jane Fonda’s New York call girl; and in William Friedkin’s “French Connection” (also 1971), as Buddy Russo, the slightly more restrained partner to Gene Hackman’s marauding police detective, Popeye Doyle. That role earned Mr. Scheider the first of two Oscar nominations.

Born in 1932 in Orange, N.J., Mr. Scheider earned his distinctive broken nose in the New Jersey Diamond Gloves Competition. He studied at Rutgers and at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa., where he graduated as a history major with the intention of going to law school. He served three years in the United States Air Force, rising to the rank of first lieutenant. When he was discharged, he returned to Franklin and Marshall to star in a production of “Richard III.”

His professional debut was as Mercutio in a 1961 New York Shakespeare Festival production of “Romeo and Juliet.” While continuing to work onstage, he made his movie debut in “The Curse of the Living Corpse” (1964), a low-budget horror film by the prolific schlockmeister Del Tenney. “He had to bend his knees to die into a moat full of quicksand up in Connecticut,” recalled Ms. Seimer, a documentary filmmaker. “He loved to demonstrate that.”

In 1977 Mr. Scheider worked with Mr. Friedkin again in “Sorcerer,” a big-budget remake of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s 1953 French thriller, “The Wages of Fear,” about transporting a dangerous load of nitroglycerine in South America.

Offered a leading role in “The Deer Hunter” (1979), Mr. Scheider had to turn it down in order to fulfill his contract with Universal for a sequel to “Jaws.” (The part went to Robert De Niro.)

“Jaws 2” failed to recapture the appeal of the first film, but Mr. Scheider bounced back, accepting the principal role in Bob Fosse’s autobiographical phantasmagoria of 1979, “All That Jazz.” Equipped with Mr. Fosse’s Mephistophelean beard and manic drive, Mr. Scheider’s character, Joe Gideon, gobbled amphetamines in an attempt to stage a new Broadway show while completing the editing of a film (and pursuing a parade of alluring young women) — a monumental act of self-abuse that leads to open-heart surgery. This won Mr. Scheider an Academy Award nomination in the best actor category. (Dustin Hoffman won that year, for “Kramer vs. Kramer.”)

In 1980, Mr. Scheider returned to his first love, the stage, where his performance in a production of Harold Pinter’s “Betrayal” opposite Blythe Danner and Raul Julia earned him the Drama League of New York award for distinguished performance. Although he continued to be active in films, notably in Robert Benton’s “Still of the Night” (1982) and John Badham’s action spectacular “Blue Thunder” (1983), he moved from leading men to character roles, including an American spy in Fred Schepisi’s “Russia House” (1990) and a calculating Mafia don in “Romeo Is Bleeding” (1993).

One of the most memorable performances of his late career was as the sinister, wisecracking Dr. Benway in David Cronenberg’s adaptation of William S. Burroughs’s “Naked Lunch” (1991).

Living in Sag Harbor, Mr. Scheider continued to appear in films and lend his voice to documentaries, becoming, Ms. Seimer said, increasingly politically active. With the poet Kathy Engle, he helped to found the Hayground School in Bridgehampton, dedicated to creating an innovative, culturally diverse learning environment for local children. At the time of his death, Mr. Scheider was involved in a project to build a film studio in Florence, Italy, for a series about the history of the Renaissance.

Besides his wife, his survivors include three children, Christian Verrier Scheider and Molly Mae Scheider, with Ms. Seimer, and Maximillia Connelly Lord, from an earlier marriage, to Cynthia Bebout; a brother, Glenn Scheider of Summit, N.J.; and two grandchildren.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/11/mo...in&oref=slogin
Old 02-10-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had considered him for the "Actors I hate" thread. I didn't include him because, while I wasn't really a fan or even impressed, I couldn't in good conscience say I hated him or his acting. He was in quite a lot of good films. RIP.
Old 02-10-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'll remember him most for JAWS and THE FRENCH CONNECTION. rest in peace.
Old 02-10-08, 08:17 PM

I loved him in Jaws and 2010. I'll miss him. RIP
Old 02-10-08, 08:18 PM

Total shock. I didn't even realize he was that old. I've just started rewatching Seaquest DSV the other day too. Rest in peace.
Old 02-10-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Keith6601
Total shock. I didn't even realize he was that old. I've just started rewatching Seaquest DSV the other day too. Rest in peace.

same here just finished season 2 of Seaquest. He was a wonderful actor.
Old 02-10-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'll remember him most for JAWS and THE FRENCH CONNECTION. rest in peace.

Lets not forget Marathon Man. A true classic.
Old 02-10-08, 08:23 PM
Banned

NO way.... this is not possible or the most ironic thing that has happened in my life full of ironic happenings.
SO today i finished up watching ALL THAT JAZZ for the 1st time after having it for about 3 years on DVD. I have eyeballed it many times but felt it was finally time to give it a shot. I watched it to add a number to my Academy Awards movie challange but found it too be a very unique interesting film. Also this morning I listened to his commentary on the film and the other special features that included interviews with him. AND THIS THIS HAPPENS! Unbelievable! Goddamn this is a weird occurance. Last week I just watched Blue Thunder as well for the 1st time.
In any case this certainly sucks and a very respectful RIP goes out to Mr. Scheider.
Old 02-10-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had no clue he was 75 years old either, wow.

RIP!
Old 02-10-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RIP

I'll always remember him for Jaws one of my all time favorite films.
Old 02-10-08, 08:38 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
damn staph infection. those suck. you will be missed.
Old 02-10-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm completely stunned by this news. Mainly because, like chris_sc77, I've just been watching a lot of Roy Scheider's work recently. Just last night, I watched The French Connection again, for only the second time since I bought the DVD - his work in it was fantastic. And then today, I was watching SeaQuest Season 1 on NetFlix Watch Now, for strictly nostalgic reasons, when I see this news...

I'm completely stunned.
Old 02-10-08, 08:49 PM
Banned

Marathon Man, Jaws, French Connection....

....damn. You'll be missed greatly, Roy.
Old 02-10-08, 08:51 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
this one stings a little.
Old 02-10-08, 08:54 PM
Banned

One other thing.....
After taking a quick look at the title of this thread I was really hoping the OP misspelled and meant to say "Rob Schneider, RIP"...
Old 02-10-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
this one stings a little.
I know what you mean. I grew up on Jaws, Jaws 2, Blue Thunder, 2010 & 52 Pick-Up. He looked frail the last time I saw him (on Law & Order: CI). I'm so glad they didn't start marketing movies/actors to certain ages/ethnicities until much later in my life.

Old 02-10-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YlX9G7s2AnQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YlX9G7s2AnQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 02-10-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Damn. He's always been one of my favorites.

RIP Chief Brody
Old 02-10-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I will always remember the Roy Schneider of Jaws, Jaws II, Marathon Man and French Connection..I literally grew up watching Jaws II..Just watched Blue Thunder on HD VOD the other day, the first time I had seen that movie ..pretty good flick...I always remember him as Chief Brody...

RIP.
Old 02-10-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, I frickin' loved that guy. Horrible news. 52 Pick-Up is such a badass movie.
Old 02-10-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Star of "Jaws" Dies at 75

Story Here

'Jaws' actor Scheider dies at 75

By JILL ZEMAN, Associated Press Writer 20 minutes ago

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Roy Scheider, the actor best known for his role as a police chief in the blockbuster movie "Jaws," has died. He was 75.
ADVERTISEMENT

Scheider died Sunday at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences hospital in Little Rock, hospital spokesman David Robinson said. The hospital did not release his cause of death.

However, hospital spokeswoman Leslie Taylor said Scheider had been treated for multiple myeloma at the hospital's Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy for the past two years.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Roy Scheider, the actor best known for his role as a police chief in the blockbuster movie "Jaws," has died. He was 75.

Scheider died Sunday at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences hospital in Little Rock, hospital spokesman David Robinson said. The hospital did not release his cause of death.
Old 02-10-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts
We're gonna need a bigger graveyard.
Old 02-10-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
General Zod comment =

Roy's Passing =

-paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-10-08 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Goodbye happiness...
Old 02-10-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RIP Roy. A great actor who turned in excellent performances in 2 of the best movies I've ever seen.
Old 02-10-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Sad news. Jaws is one of my all-time favorites. I also loved Tiger Town, an old Disney title that I own on VHS.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.