Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Grindhouse: which one am I supposed to watch first?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I just picked up both the DVD's, and just wondered which movie am I supposed to be watching first, or does it matter? I bought them fairly blind, so I'm not sure. I tried to read up on them a little, but I wasn't really able to figure it out.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
I would start with Planet Terror first although it doesn't really matter which one you start with (I saw Death Proof first).
Old 02-06-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Theatrically, they showed Planet Terror, and then some trailers, and ended with Death Proof.
Old 02-06-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Planet Terror first (With "Machete" presiding it)
Then:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQifXaOboMU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQifXaOboMU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f7W_sMFoyMs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f7W_sMFoyMs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UH3ihpscL8M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UH3ihpscL8M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
THEN:
Death Proof
Old 02-06-08, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just like in the theater:
1.Planet Terror
2.Death Proof
They knew what they were doing saving the best for last.
Old 02-06-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watch Death Proof, the ebay Planet Terror while it's still in the shrink wrap so you nab yourself more $.
Old 02-06-08, 08:57 PM
Banned

NEVER WATCH Deathproof. It's awful. Watch Planet Terror to have some fun, the return the dvds.
Old 02-06-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Mondo Kane's suggestion the best.

I'm still waiting for the original theatrical release to hit DVD. Easily one of the greatest theatrical experiences I've ever had.
Old 02-06-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Planet Terror makes a reference to an event that happened in Death Proof. So, you could take that into consideration.
Old 02-06-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched Planet Terror first and still haven't watched Death Proof even though I've had it for a couple weeks. Not sure why exactly. Planet Terror was enjoyable except for the scenes that contained Tarantino & Willis. Freddy Rodriquez was very enjoyable to watch in this grotesque film. It is one of a handful of movies I own that I have considered selling but it does have some redeeming qualities so it continues to make the cut for now.
Old 02-06-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you go chronologically, it would be Death Proof-- then-- Planet Terror. They take place in the same "world".
Old 02-06-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
From the sounds of it, it'd be Death Proof first half, Planet Terror, Death Proof second half.

But yes, I'd go Planet Terror first, trailers, Death Proof second.
Old 02-07-08, 09:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Do what Mondo Kane set up for you, that will bring you closest to the incredible movie theater experience that it was.

Ignore the people that say watch one and trash the other. These films are very polarizing. Personally, I despised the second half of Death Proof, but can see how some (misguided) people loved it; and found Planet Terror to be a fun romp. I'm hoping for it to come back to the dollar theater someday, I'd love to see the whole experience in the big screen again.
Old 02-07-08, 10:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Do what Mondo Kane set up for you, that will bring you closest to the incredible movie theater experience that it was.

Ignore the people that say watch one and trash the other. These films are very polarizing. Personally, I despised the second half of Death Proof, but can see how some (misguided) people loved it; and found Planet Terror to be a fun romp. I'm hoping for it to come back to the dollar theater someday, I'd love to see the whole experience in the big screen again.
where did you see this - theatrically? On the Uptown's humongoid screen it was amazing! Planet Terror in 2.35

Last edited by Giles; 02-07-08 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-07-08, 10:11 AM

Unfortunately, I've never been to the Uptown. I have got to check it out sometime.

I think I saw it at some crappy multiplex out here in the burbs, I really should have searched for a nicer situation......
Old 02-07-08, 10:13 AM

Unfortunately, I've never been to the Uptown. I have got to check it out sometime.

I think I saw it at some crappy multiplex out here in the burbs, I really should have searched for a nicer situation......
check out "Cloverfield" there, it will give you motion sickness and cause temporary deafness

back on topic: my credit card is itichin' to buy the Japanese deluxe edition with everything but the kitchen sink.
Old 02-07-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm hoping for it to come back to the dollar theater someday, I'd love to see the whole experience in the big screen again.
Where is there a dollar theater in NOVA?
Old 02-07-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the record Id give every other tarrantino movie a 4-5 star rating, Id give death proof about 1.5-2 star rating. The last 10 minutes are decent and the car crash scene, its Tarrantino trying to do a chick flick for the first hour. Its awful. its britney spears crossroads movie with a little profanity. Not that I saw more than a minute or two of crossroads, but what I imagine it was.
Old 02-07-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its tarrantino finding his inner teenage girl, and it doesnt work. Maybe not teenage, how about 21 year olds

Last edited by Jacoby Ellsbury; 02-07-08 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-07-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Ack hit the wrong button. Anyway, Death Proof was fantastic, a bit slow going but it all served a point. Cheer worthy ending too. Everybody has their own opinions of it, so the best thing to do is watch both, enjoy one, none, or both.

That said, I haven't seen the "extended" cuts of either film, though I did soak in the entire experience twice in theaters.
Old 02-07-08, 12:05 PM

but you have to remember even though the US got the double bill treatment - in other countries, they were seen as seperate films - if you want to read a lively discussion about the two, pick up the latest issue of Video Watchdog where several film critics talk about the films as a whole and independent of each other.
Old 02-07-08, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Where is there a dollar theater in NOVA?
Yesterday's "dollar theater" is today's $5 theater.

I'm talking places like Arlington Drafthouse and the theater by GMU. University Mall Theaters is $4 max per ticket, $2 on Tuesdays, $3 if student or over 60 or under 14.
Old 02-07-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd watch Death Proof first, cause you're probably in the mood to see some quality...then shut off your brain, find your favorite substance, and plow through the "I'm trying so hard to make a B-movie when really that's all I've ever made in the first place" romp that is Planet Terror.
Old 02-07-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Feel sorry for anyone that missed Grindhouse in theaters. It was such an awesome expereince. It wont be the same watching them and the trailers at Home. But Cant wait till they release both movies with trailers etc.

I loved Both movies, Death Proof is my favorite though