Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sorry guys but lets faze it. Blade Runner is simply a poor movie.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sorry guys but lets faze it. Blade Runner is simply a poor movie.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watching Blade Runner and Face/Off with someone and they say Face/Off is better = friends no more/possible kick in the ass on their way out.

Blade Runner is underrated still after all these years.
Old 02-02-08, 12:32 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it in 1983 at the theater and was extremely unimpressed with it. Saw it on LD superspecial edition in the 90's and was still unimpressed. Saw it on extraspecial DVD edition in the 2000s. Still unimpressed.
Old 02-02-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

Spoiler:

Old 02-02-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I want a prequel where we get to see attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, and watch C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate

I liked it. I can understand some people not thinking it's the ultimate movie, but comparing it to face off is the funniest thing I've seen in a while
Old 02-02-08, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bhk
I saw it in 1983 at the theater and was extremely unimpressed with it. Saw it on LD superspecial edition in the 90's and was still unimpressed. Saw it on extraspecial DVD edition in the 2000s. Still unimpressed.
Opinions like yours I can respect unlike some 16 to 30 year old who seen it for the first time recently. Say like after enjoying just having seen MEET THE SPARTANS.
Old 02-02-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have never seen this film, which version should I start with?
Old 02-02-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by db27
I have never seen this film, which version should I start with?
If you're honestly asking, I say this order:
- Theatrical Cut
- European Cut
- Director's Cut
- Final Cut

And then watch the "Deleted Scenes" assembly

(And if you're still interested, watch the "Workprint")

Last edited by dhmac; 02-02-08 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
I can understand where the original poster is coming from. I saw it on video for the first time in the late 80s and was extremely disappointed because it was so totally not what I was expecting.

I saw it again in college when they released the "director's cut" version, and I appreciated it more visually, but still didn't think it was any great shakes.

I ended up buying that version in VHS, and I watched it a few times over the years. Even then I never got past the fact that I considered the movie "overrated". I understood that the visuals were masterful, but I just never thought all that much of the story.

Finally, I bought the four disc version on DVD (couldn't justify $30 for the workprint version, and I don't need any toys). I had held off on the DVD for years waiting for the special edition, and I ended watching it twice in the first few days I had it, first the European cut, then the Final cut. Honestly, when I watched it it was like something clicked with me. It's a masterpiece.
Old 02-05-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
If you're honestly asking, I say this order:
- Theatrical Cut
- European Cut
- Director's Cut
- Final Cut

And then watch the "Deleted Scenes" assembly

(And if you're still interested, watch the "Workprint")
Thanks! This is being played at a local theater right now, any idea what version that would be? I've always wanted to see it, and now the oppurtunity exists on the big screen.
Old 02-05-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Blade Runner is overrated by the "film poser" crowd. Sure its effects and vision of the future is highly influential but it just bores me to sleep everytime I try to watch it (and this is from a person who thinks 2001 is great) So faze me.
Old 02-05-08, 04:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Film poser crowd? What's wrong with people actually thinking the movie really is that great? Seeing The Final Cut on the big screen affected me as deeply and completely as seeing 2001 in 70mm.

Maybe that's part of the problem. You don't get the whole experience of Blade Runner watching it on a small screen. Even a 110" screen/projector setup doesn't give you the full experience.
Old 02-05-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
I think Blade Runner is overrated by the "film poser" crowd. Sure its effects and vision of the future is highly influential but it just bores me to sleep everytime I try to watch it (and this is from a person who thinks 2001 is great) So faze me.
Soo wait, it's overrated by the film poser crowd because you think it's boring? Golly gee willikers.
Old 02-05-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The movie is not overrated using the OP's argument for the simple fact that no one in the history of cinema has exclaimed its greatness as a story-telling vehicle. No critic, nor fan, has ever said, "Wow, Blade Runner has such a fantastic story that is so expertly acted out that I had chills and wept at its greatness." What we DO praise are some of the same elements that the OP recognized...its visuals, its use of music, its achievement in creating a believable future reality, and mostly its success as a great work of true sci-fi. All things that even its detractors agree to. So it that regard it cannot be considered overrated.

And as only one other person pointed out, BR is a modern Film Noir. If you have any knowledge of that genre of film, you'll appreciate BR much more. In fact, BR was played in one of my college film courses alongside Double Indemnity and The Big Sleep as part of a Film Noir course.

Then again, I'm part of the "film poser crowd".
Old 02-05-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We prefer the term "elitist assholes"...
Old 02-05-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Metropolis
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Blade Runner

It's THAT good as far as sci-fi movies go.
Old 02-05-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ToddSm66
1. Metropolis
3. Blade Runner

a bold statement for sure. however, i am inclined to agree with you.
Old 02-05-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddSm66
1. Metropolis
3. Blade Runner

Solaris (1972) > Than all those films.

Old 02-06-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Okay, sorry if I hurt your boyfriend's feelings.
Ha ha ha, gay jokes. good material. Let me know when you are off your computer (posting "troll" in every thread you disagree with) and taking that show on the road, because I need to see a full act of that edgy material.
I'm sorry that you contribute nothing but immature name calling.

Last edited by mmconhea; 02-06-08 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-06-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I think Bladerunner is a very good movie, but I just can't see the greatness everyone sees. I look at movie like The Terminator, and think that is a great movie from its time. I think the characters are better, or more likeable that really works for me.

I guess to each his own, but I have to say if I were a big fan of this movie, I think it would be cool to be part of a cult audience that adores the movie. After being a diehard SW'77 fan all my life, and seeing all the young Prequel fans who think The Original Star Wars is too slow and the effects are lame and how Lucas doesn't recognize that version anymore, but they still classify themselves as Star Wars fans really annoys me.
Old 02-06-08, 11:43 AM
Banned

Now the movie wasn't a hit and that's having Harrison Ford fresh off 2 STAR WARS & 1 Indiana Jones movie. But over the years it has gotten it's cult following and many movie cuts. And Ford doesn't like the movie. So I respect those that don't like the film.
Old 02-06-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Ha ha ha, gay jokes. good material. Let me know when you are off your computer (posting "troll" in every thread you disagree with) and taking that show on the road, because I need to see a full act of that edgy material.
I'm sorry that you contribute nothing but immature name calling.
Whatever, if you are too blind to see that someone who posts something like this all the while mispelling every other word is a troll so be it. I'm not the only one who thinks so.

And you're right, that's all I ever do on DVDTalk - immature name calling . . .
Old 02-06-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Now the movie wasn't a hit and that's having Harrison Ford fresh off 2 STAR WARS & 1 Indiana Jones movie. But over the years it has gotten it's cult following and many movie cuts. And Ford doesn't like the movie. So I respect those that don't like the film.

Ford doesn't like the theatrical cut of the film. He's said before that the voiceover was unnecessary and the ending forced, and that he very much likes the original, or "director's cut", if you will.

-Doc
Old 02-07-08, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
i want a sequal cause i just don't understand were the monster came from.
Old 02-07-08, 12:53 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
^^^ Uranus.
Old 02-07-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whotony
i want a sequal cause i just don't understand were the monster came from.
You appear to be in the wrong thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.