Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Rambo" (They drew first blood, not me!) reviews thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 12:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

So I can't wait for this and I think reviews are going to be rolling in. Anyone find one from a credible source? Any early screenings from a fellow DVD Talker?

Sylvester Stallone is not a dumb man and he really does make, write, and direct a good movie. He went out with glory in "Rocky Balboa" and here's hoping he can recreate the magic.

I grew up on John Rambo and love him for the action and cheese it is. He really did start the one man against an army trend that Arnold of course borrowed from and with the look of this one from trailers, the gruesomeness and violent glory is back with a vengeance!
Old 01-21-08, 03:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
My friend went to a screening at Lionsgate and said it f*cking rocks. He and the other journalists asked what was going to be cut for an R-rating, since it was so brutal, and they were told that was the R cut. This guy is a hardened horror fan, like myself, and even he was blown away by the level of violence in the film. I can't wait for this f*cker to open. (this post has been editted for content)
thanks to KillerC for the early word.
Old 01-21-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this. How often is a great movie released in January?
Old 01-21-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
How often is a great movie released in January?
Cloverfield or There Will Be Blood anyone?

That said, I don't expect Rambo to be "great" just a good popcorn flick.
Old 01-21-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob V
Cloverfield or There Will Be Blood anyone?
Cloverfield? Great?? I'll give you "There Will Be Blood". But technically that was released in December.
Old 01-21-08, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I met the main actress in this movie (she's on Showtime's Dexter and you all remember her one line in As Good As it Gets), she didn't tell me much about it, but I heard that when they finished filming and were editing it, they thought it was good enough that they wanted to fly some of them back to Thailand and put some more into the budget by filming some more, but it conflicted with some of the actors schedules and that didn't happen. I suspect it will be better than expected.
Old 01-22-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I am not expecting this to be a "good" movie... but I do hope it delivers the goods and holds up next to the other Rambo films. I'd like to see it do well...leaving the door open for another one as Sly has mentioned.

My BO prediction: 15-20m opening...40-50m tops. Should do better internationally, putting it over 100m worldwide.

Last edited by Artman; 01-22-08 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is going to sound really lame, but I saw Stallone on the late late show with Craig Ferguson, and Ferguson said how he was initially hesitant about the movie because of Stallone's age. He also said that he thought Rocky Balboa was really good, but that there was no way he could make two good series resurrections in a row, and found that was wrong. He said the movie was great, a lot better than he expected, and people were going to be surprised.

Granted, this is a talk show host, so I take it with a grain of salt, but it sounds a lot like the pre-release hype to Live Free or Die Hard: basically, put your fears to rest, because this movie's a real surprise.

I never enjoyed the Rambo franchise, but I really do hope that Stallone has another nice hit. I think they're releasing it in January because they rightfully assumed that it wouldn't be taken seriously in Spring, Summer, or Winter. Although I think April would have been a good month to release this, too.
Old 01-22-08, 01:28 AM

I can't wait to see this movie, it looks great. But one thing that worries me is that it's coming out the same weekend as a bunch of total shit like Meet the Spartans, and How She Move (that's not even correct English...). Now I know how much idiot movie goers like to go out and see these shitty movies opening weekend, thus making Hollywood think we need more (see Epic Movie, and You Got Served). Makes me worry that everyone will overlook the R-rated awesomness of Rambo in favor of a big serving of PG-13 shit.

Not to mention Cloverfield (which was awesome), 27 Dresses and The Bucket List probably won't take too much of a hit in their 2nd (or in The Bucket List's case; 3rd) week.

Anyone else worried about this?
Old 01-22-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I see Rambo making $20mil or so. My $7 included.

The theatrical trailer is really good. The TV spots are awfully lame.
Old 01-22-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it can open with $15 million or above, and gets good enough reviews, I could see it pulling in $50 million.
Old 01-22-08, 10:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
this is one of the few movies where I think a red tag trailer could help.
Old 01-22-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Anyone know how many screens RAMBO is opening on?

I don't see it grabbing the #1 spot this weekend, but I could see it doing $15 to $20 million, depending on screen count.
Old 01-22-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
this is one of the few movies where I think a red tag trailer is necessary.
Fixed. A film that obviously is going to be bathed in blood and severed limbs needs to be showing more of the good stuff to elicit more than a laugh from people watching the previews, because that's exactly what it got before Cloverfield.

I'll be there opening night. I hope this does well, but I think it's going to open in the $11-16m range.
Old 01-22-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
I'd like to see it do well...leaving the door open for another one as Sly has mentioned.
One with a return appearance by Brian Dennehy as a disgraced ex-sheriff out for blood!
Old 01-22-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
One with a return appearance by Brian Dennehy as a disgraced ex-sheriff out for blood!

Yeah, a lot of people think that Brian Dennehy's character got killed in FIRST BLOOD....He didn't!

As a matter of fact, Rambo's casualty count is ZERO in FIRST BLOOD.
Old 01-22-08, 01:44 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
A film that obviously is going to be bathed in blood and severed limbs needs to be showing more of the good stuff to elicit more than a laugh from people watching the previews, because that's exactly what it got before Cloverfield.
I think some people are just going to chuckle at the idea of a new Rambo movie no matter how good the trailer is.
Old 01-22-08, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rennervision
How about bringing back one of his deputies?

"Rambo, you may have drawn first blood... (puts his sunglasses on) ...but I'll be the one who draws last."

YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-08, 05:11 PM

Did any of you catch the footage that's been available for a while now, it looked good to me, search and you'll find it I'm sure...
Old 01-23-08, 12:55 PM

Damn, this girl is busy, Dexter, Rambo IV, Punisher 2, Dallas...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450314/
Old 01-23-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Yeah, a lot of people think that Brian Dennehy's character got killed in FIRST BLOOD....He didn't!

As a matter of fact, Rambo's casualty count is ZERO in FIRST BLOOD.
If I remember correctly, Rambo did accidentally kill the abusive deputy sheriff when he threw a rock at the chopper and the officer fell off.
Old 01-23-08, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
If I remember correctly, Rambo did accidentally kill the abusive deputy sheriff when he threw a rock at the chopper and the officer fell off.

Well, Rambo didn't actually KILL the sheriff directly.
Old 01-23-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
He got those dogs too remember. I mean, animals are more important than people nowadays so they should count.
Old 01-23-08, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
He got those dogs too remember. I mean, animals are more important than people nowadays so they should count.

True.

Maybe we should count his killing of the wild boar for lunch.

So, for FIRST BLOOD:

Rambo's human casualty count = 0

Rambo's animal casualty count = 3
Old 01-23-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I like that imdb has the Rambo: First Blood II body count as a trivia bit (it chalks up 57 kills to Rambo, though I guess it could get a little fuzzy when it comes to explosions and wounded). Rambo III is credited with 108 kills (not sure how many from Rambo - sure it's a lot though).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.