Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Neil Marshall's Doomsday (Rhona Mitra, Malcolm McDowell) Trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Neil Marshall's Doomsday (Rhona Mitra, Malcolm McDowell) Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
This looks like one of the worst movie made ever... and I really liked Dog Soldiers and the Descent.
Old 03-11-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks a little cheesy, but here's hoping.
Old 03-11-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Trailer didn't do a lot for me, but Marshall is (obviously) heavily influenced by Carpenter (just look at The Descent) so it could be a lot of fun. Plus, I asked him at Fear Fest 2 this weekend about Escape From N.Y. having an influence on the film and he said "very much so". Obvious, but that's still a good sign.
Old 03-12-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts
Three clips from Doomsday at Twitch, WARNING: Gratuitous nudity, extreme violence and gore (what's not to like).

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/a-tr...alls-doomsday/

Marshall talks about the film, the status of "Outpost" and another upcoming project:

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_12586.html

Another interview where he talks about the film and addresses reviews at AICN:

http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archive...007_and_d.html

Said AICN reviews (spoilers galore so read at your own risk, especially the 2nd one):

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34523

Last edited by eXcentris; 03-12-08 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the reviews for this are terrible... all over pretty much...

the reviewer on 'Ain't It Cool' sound like a lot of you guys... he liked 'Dog Soldiers', loved 'The Descent'... and absolutely hated 'Doomsday'...

i will be staying away from this one...
Old 03-12-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not me! I'm there. I'll decide for myself. The trailer beckons me.
Old 03-12-08, 02:14 PM

I'm going to give this one a shot on Friday, but ONLY because I loved Dog Soldiers and The Descent. This one looks like it could be pretty bad.
Old 03-13-08, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't really care less what It Ain't Cool News says, the site is mainly just a hub for foul-mouthed teenagers wanting to rant, and also trailers have been very misleading in the past (Spider-Man 3 last year comes to mind, great trailer but terrible movie).

And also like others have posted, We haven't had a movie like this in a long time so I'll be seeing this one in theaters if I get the chance.
Old 03-14-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I expected a lot more from Neil Marshall, having loved both Dog Soldiers and The Descent. I was excited to see what he could do with a budget, but this movie is uninspired from top to bottom. It is a pastiche of other better films that never reaches the heights of any of them and should have been a LOT more fun than it was...had the tone been slightly different it could have been one hell of a ride...instead of just an exercise in excess for the sake of excess.

The movie starts off as 28 Days later quickly becomes Land of the Dead, then Escape From New York/Mad Max, out of nowhere it apes Excalibur, followed by Gladiator, and then, I shit you not, a fucking car commercial - mountain terrain/hillside shots and all. From car commercial to The Road Warrior and we finish with that mixed with some shots directly from I Am Legend... I had high hopes but even just as mindless entertainment, the movie doesn't work. I hope Neil delivers something better next time out.

You could definitely pair this with 10,000 BC for the ultimate shit sandwich of moviegoing...some terrible movies out right now.

Last edited by mdc3000; 03-14-08 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I concur. his was hugely disappointing. Everything from mdc3000 rant is dead on. I actually felt I was watching some grindhouse film; it was all over the place. No character development, no direction (as in where the film was going or saying); just mindless and sad.

There was some bits that were fun-the gore, the over-the-top action scenes, but eh I guess I was expecting more. the trailer makes it look like a Mad Max-type but its more Escape from Scotland than anything else. It's like Umberto Lenzi directed Escape from L.A. haha seriously.
Old 03-14-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie was very good for its genre....it definitely was like a good mid-90s action B-movie, a cross between 28 Days later, Tank Girl, The Road Warrior, Timeline. It was a very exciting movie with great cartoonish characters. I'm all for the return of the Mad Max knock-offs that flooded the 80s to early 90s after being exposed to too many recent CGI action movies...

I love that Scottish Official characters' voice...I think he was in The Departed too? He's got the coolest new voice in Hollywood...Rona Mitra was very good doing a cross between Linda Fiorintino and Sarah Conner...
Old 03-14-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I expected a lot more from Neil Marshall, having loved both Dog Soldiers and The Descent. I was excited to see what he could do with a budget, but this movie is uninspired from top to bottom. It is a pastiche of other better films that never reaches the heights of any of them and should have been a LOT more fun than it was...had the tone been slightly different it could have been one hell of a ride...instead of just an exercise in excess for the sake of excess.

The movie starts off as 28 Days later quickly becomes Land of the Dead, then Escape From New York/Mad Max, out of nowhere it apes Excalibur, followed by Gladiator, and then, I shit you not, a fucking car commercial - mountain terrain/hillside shots and all. From car commercial to The Road Warrior and we finish with that mixed with some shots directly from I Am Legend... I had high hopes but even just as mindless entertainment, the movie doesn't work. I hope Neil delivers something better next time out.

You could definitely pair this with 10,000 BC for the ultimate shit sandwich of moviegoing...some terrible movies out right now.
I'm glad you and zodiac agree on your opinion, but I loved this movie and thought it was great. Delivered just what I expected and then some. Obviously it was homege filled and I picked up on most of them. This was a fun over the top adventure that we don't see much of anymore, and I for one hope it does great at the box office.

I suggest everyone who wants to see this to ignore all opinions (especially negative opinions presented as fact) and form one for yourself. Enjoy the show!

Last edited by SuckaMC; 03-14-08 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is exactly what I expected it to be. A grindhouse film.

A homage to the great post-apocolyptic films of the 80's. If you're going into this film expecting some masterpiece of originality, well you will definitely be disappointed.

But these are the kind of films Neil Marshall makes. The films he loved and grew up on and bringing them into the 21st century.

Go watch your Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich bullshit if you want mindless entertainment.

If this was paired with Planet Terror as a double feature and labeled "Grindhouse" then suddenly everyone would love it.

Last edited by Matthew Ackerly; 03-14-08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw it and thought it was pretty good, about a three star movie. Its very gory but the film was very tounge in cheek. The action scenes were excellent with their stunwork and crashes (although I wish they would slow down the editing at times). The scenes in between the action really drag on though and feel so superfluous. The acting is nothing to write home about either. Overall though its a good time at the theaters and complements Rambo as some violent old school action schlock.
Old 03-14-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
The movie is a blast! If you are a fan of 80's sci fi/action cinema, you'll luv it! It does everything right that PLANET TERROR did wrong (namely, it doesn't cast QT in a pivotal role) and Rhona Mitra is the new badass, buttkicking heroine to end all badass, buttkicking heroines! (Love the wonderful tribute to THEY CALL HER ONE EYE.) She makes Rose McGowan look like Dakota Fanning.

All in all, DOOMSDAY is a smoking hot smorgasbord of wonderful action packed, gore drenched, feminist sci-fi moments paying homage to some of the most memorable grindhouse flicks of the 80s (THE ROAD WARRIOR, ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, KNIGHTRIDERS, etc). Miss it at your own peril.

And any film with Bob Hoskins should be required viewing!
Old 03-14-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's the irish dude from braveheart! I knew he looked familiar after I first really noticed him in The Departed:

Old 03-15-08, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like just what I was looking for: mindless fun.
Old 03-15-08, 12:36 AM

Great Movie, loved it, hope they release a Directors cut cause it felt like a few things were missing
Old 03-15-08, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
I just got back from seeing and my only real complaint was the movie was several different genres in one movie. It starts out similar to 28 days later, then become post apocalyptic like Mad Max, then mideval flick. But with all that being said its really an old school bloody action flick in spirit of the 80s and early 90s. Btw I loved the naked blonde in the bathtub in the beginning of the flick, very nice gratuitous nudity.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 03-15-08 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-15-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thumbs up for me. Exactly what I expected.
Old 03-15-08, 01:53 AM

Just got back from it. Me and my friends Fucking Loved it!

Yeah, it is a crappy movie if you judge it against mainstream cinema. If you're judging it as escapist b-movie entertainment, I think it succeeds in spades. It may not be a good movie or art, but it knows well enough to be great trash.

That girl with the tattoos on her face is pretty hot, btw.
Old 03-15-08, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was fuckin' great! Probably the most expensive B-movie ever made.

Buy a large popcorn, sit down and hold on.
Old 03-15-08, 04:26 AM

Saw this as well and got exactly what I expected....it's loud, dumb and a lot of fun. It does feel like a bunch of movies mashed together, but that didn't bother me. I loved the over the top music video sequence halfway through where Saul was slapping some chick's ass. It was so fucking retard, but fun to watch.

Oh and The Gimp stole EVERY scene he/she/it was in. Pure comedy.

Last edited by Eric D.; 03-15-08 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-15-08, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That scene was great when Sol came out dancing to "Good Thing". It hit me about an hour after the movie that it was Fine Young Cannibals... especially considering what happens just after that scene.
Old 03-15-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You know what, I was going to pass on this flick but all the comments about how fun it is may have changed my mind. I might try to catch this as a matinee this week. It sounds like just the kind of crap I love to watch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.