Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to be split into two films

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-14-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Link

Harry Potter fans are set to get a double treat in the film of the final story – and movie makers are set to double their money.

Crew working on the sixth Potter film, Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, have been told J.K. Rowling's seventh novel, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, will be released in two halves.

For film-makers Warner Bros, whose first five Potter films have made £2.5billion in box office receipts – more than any other movie series – it could mean a £500million bonus in ticket sales.

But sources insist the reason behind the two-movie plan is artistic rather than financial.

The books got progressively longer – the first, the Philosopher's Stone, had 223 pages while Deathly Hallows has 776 – and fans have complained chunks of later novels have been left out of films.

A film source said: "There's so much to fit that the view is the last movie should be in two halves. There is a huge battle when Harry, played by Daniel Radcliffe, takes on Voldemort that needs to be done really well."

And Ms Rowling points out on her website: "It is simply impossible to incorporate every storyline into a film under four hours long."

At Warner Bros, who are rumoured to be thinking of Oscars and a big-name director such as Steven Spielberg for the final film, a spokesman said:

"People are discussing all possibilities."
Old 01-14-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-14-08, 09:12 PM

So is this going to be a Grindhouse type deal or more of a Kill Bill Vol 1/2 deal? Question is how long until they release the second half? It's got to be pretty close to the first half release. Smart move by WB. They'll be raking in the bucks on this flick.
Old 01-14-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool news. I hope they release 1 part in the summer and then 2nd part in the fall.

They'll definitely be swimming in the money because everyone will see the 1st part and then they'll have to see the 2nd.

Oh and please no Spielberg.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 01-14-08 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yeah.. forget spielberg and get me some Del Toro..

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/08/...athly-hallows/

Exercising his key to the Hollywood kingdom, Guillermo del Toro says the time is right for him to shake a deathstick at the Harry Potter franchise. The mastermind behind Pan’s Labyrinth and Hell Boy tells MTV that he’s the perfect badass to envision Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and finale (for now) literary tale of the wizard.

“I’m definitely interested,” he insisted, “now that the movies have grown darker. They have a contrast between the gloomy existence of the kid and the world he’s exposed to. They have evolved into a really nice universe.”
Old 01-14-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Oscars for a Harry Potter movie? I don't know about that.

Actually, splitting it into two could hurt their chances, as they could split the vote between each part if they are released in one year. There was a discussion about this with the Matrix sequels, where Warner wanted them to count as one for the visual effects award, but the academy said no.
Old 01-14-08, 09:40 PM

I suggest George Lucas. That way he can ruin the childhood of everyone left who he hasn't managed to screw over yet.
Old 01-14-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by treszoks
I suggest George Lucas. That way he can ruin the childhood of everyone left who he hasn't managed to screw over yet.
Old 01-14-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would the crew working on the current film be notified before a single frame has been shot on the next? It wouldn't impact them in any way. This rumor has gone around before, I think it is just being stirred up again.
Old 01-14-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I would be surprised if they end up splitting it. It's a little too early to speculate anyway. Kloves hasn't even started on the script (and he can't at the moment). Besides, they considered doing this in the past for Goblet of Fire but didn't. There is quite a bit of stuff that can be cut from the Deathly Hallows book.

First, they could they could just have Harry and Dumbledore...

Spoiler:
...get the real locket at the end of HBP. That whole RAB subplot doesn't really accomplish enough to warrant inclusion (Kreacher's tale would require a lot of time consuming exposition for little payoff). Besides, the ministry excursion just isn't necessary. There will be plenty of more important action later on, and the necessary bits of the ministry takeover can be readily explained by newspapers and Potterwatch.

Last edited by mwbmis; 01-14-08 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Why would the crew working on the current film be notified before a single frame has been shot on the next? It wouldn't impact them in any way.
If they're filmed separately then it would certainly impact the crew, although I doubt they would go that route.
Old 01-14-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I'd rather they didn't split it into two. You don't have to have everything from the book in there. That's why it's the movie version. And wasn't Book 5 like the longest book but the shortest movie? Plenty of filler that won't be missed too badly...
Old 01-14-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by johnglass
If they're filmed separately then it would certainly impact the crew, although I doubt they would go that route.
Exactly my point: they wouldn't film them separately, they would film them all at once and then edit them as separate films. And why would the production crew need to know this information before the script has even been finished (or possibly started)? It just seems like a rumor being recirculated again.
Old 01-14-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, they could easily skip his experimenting with drugs, his first sexual encounter, his emo period, etc.

BTW, who is going to write the script? Is it finished, or do they have to wait for the strike to end?
Old 01-14-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I like the Harry Potter movie but do feel that they are too long. If I want to know all of the storylines then I will read the books.
Old 01-14-08, 10:53 PM

DH is a pretty slow book, and one of the worst in the series. Who wants to watch Harry and crew teleporting around England for four hours? 3 hrs tops, if they cut some deaths and side-stories.
Old 01-14-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They can do all the hiding bits as a montage.
There is a lot of action in the book, but it brackets 15 chapters of Harry and Hermione doing nothing.
Old 01-15-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't care how they do it, probably because I never read the books, as long as Del Toro is in I'm there watching. Sometimes I wish there were two of him so he could finish every project he announces he's starting.
Old 01-15-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It makes sense. An extra movie means WB can milk out more money from the franchise before it stops. And the books definitely got longer as they progressed, which meant more and more got cut out. Having two parts allows for less stuff to to be dropped, and considering it's the last film, you probably want to bring about a proper resolution to the whole saga. The more run time yo have, the more you can incorporate.

Maybe they could have done this before, but given the release schedule of the movies (about every year and a half), it would be difficult to release two parters. With no installment after Deathly Hallows, it's much easier to break it in two.
Old 01-15-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll believe it when I see it. This rumor has come up for every Potter flick since part 4. To top it off, this source isn't exactly the most reliable.
Old 01-15-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would buy that she wants a big name director over the movie split. I think she might want awards for this one.
Old 01-15-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Chris Columbus should be offered the final film. I'm not saying he would or even should direct it, but he's earned the right to say yes or no.
Old 01-15-08, 05:26 PM

Wow. I'm glad they are looking at that option. I was wondering how they were going to do it and what they were going to cut to fit it into just one film.
Old 01-15-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad they'll do it that way, because the storyline in Deathly Hallows is very long and very complex. I think the best cutoff point for the end of the first part is--

Spoiler:
Where Ron reunites with Harry and Hermione, from the chapter "The Silver Doe" that is right at halfway through the book.
Old 01-15-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 154 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Chris Columbus should be offered the final film. I'm not saying he would or even should direct it, but he's earned the right to say yes or no.
No thanks - it wasn't until part 3 that the films got watchable, IMHO.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.